Marathon Training and Discussions

undertrained and overoptimistic for first marathon (Read 684 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I split my runs up when they're split up on my watch -- it would be too much manual work to put them back together to enter them. Plus I'm already doing tedious manual work because this site doesn't handle feet in partial laps, and doesn't compute pace time for laps (and I want to see it for the partial laps) -- I want to minimize the amount of manual work I do, and maximize how much I can get the site to do. They're usually broken because I reset the watch, which is usually when someone else starts or stops, so I know exact distances for different parts of the run both for the part I did and for parts others did. Plus, Eric, the guy who runs the site, seems to often recommend entering a single workout as several pieces any time something about it changes, so I think his philosophy is that it is fine to enter a single run as multiple workouts. The summary graph combines them decently as far as I can tell. I had trouble getting my distance in -- I couldn't even get the 17mi in, but finally a couple days ago I accomplished it, after a fast 9mi with some fast ppl; I was pumped up and continued it (at my slower pace) out to 17mi. That was a nice confidence booster, because that is the fastest I've ever run 9mi. I'm not going to try the Galloway, but I will probably walk the water stops. There is little enough time left that I'll probably only try once more for 20mi, and if I don't make it, I won't try again until the marathon, and I won't worry about it.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I split my runs up when they're split up on my watch -- it would be too much manual work to put them back together to enter them. Plus I'm already doing tedious manual work because this site doesn't handle feet in partial laps, and doesn't compute pace time for laps (and I want to see it for the partial laps) -- I want to minimize the amount of manual work I do, and maximize how much I can get the site to do.
      Sure it does. You just can't see the interval/lap paces until you go back and view the workout - you can't see them in edit mode. For example, here's your last workout with intervals defined. Notice the paces for the full and partial laps. You are right that the site doesn't allow the input of feet - but is easy enough to convert in your head to yards. The bigger question, to me, is if it is tedious for you - then why do it. Beyond quickly noticing if you are starting too fast/fading at the end - tracking the intervals for a long or easy run doesn't provide a lot of value compared to simply the overall time, pace, and distance. Having said that I normally will put in some kind of intervals on many runs, but that's only because I'm a numbers geek, not because I think it helps me a lot. I would think tracking the interval details in an interval or temp type workout would provide you with a bit more insight - especially in a future training cycle where you can look back at them to judge where you are fitness wise.
      Plus, Eric, the guy who runs the site, seems to often recommend entering a single workout as several pieces any time something about it changes, so I think his philosophy is that it is fine to enter a single run as multiple workouts. The summary graph combines them decently as far as I can tell.
      In general, Eric does suggest that this is his philosophy for tracking runs - however, it is YOUR log and you can track things however you want. Good luck with your training!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Sure it does. You just can't see the interval/lap paces until you go back and view the workout - you can't see them in edit mode. For example, here's your last workout with intervals defined. Notice the paces for the full and partial laps. You are right that the site doesn't allow the input of feet - but is easy enough to convert in your head to yards.
        Doh! I never use view mode, and didn't know about that. Plus, I didn't think of converting feet to yards. Genius.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Actually, my finish is kinda a big experiment for me. Last summer I always finished fast. Nowadays I've been not finishing fast. That is kind of a long experiment for me, to see how it goes. I read a bunch of the low-HR propaganda, and that is what got me started on doing mostly easy runs and no fast finishes, I think.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Could you try slowing down your long runs?
            Actually I've not really considered that much for a while. I already run my easy & long runs substantially slower than what I get if I try the McMillan calculator with my short race results (and those are the only ones I have done). Also, I seem to run slower than various people I run with. I think I did think about slowing down my long runs at one point, and decided, no, then it will take even longer to finish. But, rethinking that, the experience of being out there for a longer time really is part of the point, I suppose.