Marathon Training and Discussions

Speedwork advice (Read 624 times)

Go Pre!

DAMN YOU!!!!!!! Are you seeing any results from your changes??
    Well, I ran 2 marathons in a month (May 25 +June 21) and still managed a 10K PR on July 1st and feel fine running 6 days a week. Time will tell. I trust these guys. I hung out with Marathon Junie and he was emphatic about lotsa easy miles then put the speedwork in.

Giants Fan

Just out of curiousity, what were your marathon times for the last two? FWIW my plan is: Sundays- LSD (start 1:30 slower than MP pace and then get down to 1:00 slower) every other week cut back week Mondays-OFF (my change to plan, it called for 3 miles every other week with no day off--too much) Tuesdays- Hill work, some repeats or a loop with killer hills total mileage around 7 Wednesdays-Recovery run 5 Thursdays- Interval runs (or whatever its called) usually around 9-10 miles with me putting in 4 at HMP Fridays-Recovery run 6 Saturdays- Easy run somewhere around 3-5 depending on what Sunday will be This Sunday I'm slated for my first 20 miler. I am hoping to work up to 24-26 before marathon. Mine is scheduled for Sept. 28th.

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

Go Pre!

Just out of curiousity, what were your marathon times for the last two? FWIW my plan is: Sundays- LSD (start 1:30 slower than MP pace and then get down to 1:00 slower) every other week cut back week Mondays-OFF (my change to plan, it called for 3 miles every other week with no day off--too much) Tuesdays- Hill work, some repeats or a loop with killer hills total mileage around 7 Wednesdays-Recovery run 5 Thursdays- Interval runs (or whatever its called) usually around 9-10 miles with me putting in 4 at HMP Fridays-Recovery run 6 Saturdays- Easy run somewhere around 3-5 depending on what Sunday will be This Sunday I'm slated for my first 20 miler. I am hoping to work up to 24-26 before marathon. Mine is scheduled for Sept. 28th.
        My 2 times were 3:47 and 3:51 on a scorcher day 4 weeks later (previous best to these 2 was 3:55). I felt way better for the 2nd one but the last 5 miles the heat got to me and I felt nauseous if I ran too hard. Collette - you have a 20 miler already this Sunday? That seems a bit early in the training for what appears to be your first? And for the 24-26 milers, keep in mind they wear you out, especially for a first timer.

Giants Fan

I know, I've been thinking the same thing...but I've also never run a race without going the full distance before...I keep wondering if this plan is over the top, but haven't had any signs of overtraining once I added in a mandatory day off. Guess that might all change after 20 huh? But the next week it goes down to 10 for Sunday, then back up, then down...so ????? We shall see. I know a lot of people only do 20 for their top run, I don't understand how then you do the last 6.2.

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

Go Pre!

Your 20-22 mile runs at a slower pace train your body to be running for the amount of time you will race. This is a pretty decent article covering long run theories... http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/rununiv/marathonlongrun.htm MTA: Particularily this point:
            The key aims of the long, steady distance long run are to increase your ability to burn fat, store more glycogen and to challenge the body and mind to continue running even when fatigued. From physiology, we know that the body uses fats and carbohydrates while running - the portion of each is determined by the pace. Run fast and the reliance shifts to more carbohydrates, less fats. Run slowly and the muscles rely more on fat and less on carbohydrate. Therefore, it is very important that in this type of long run - the long, steady long run, you don't run fast. You'll rely more on fats at an easy pace, possibly improving your ability to burn fat. When I say steady or easy or even slowly, I mean a conversational pace. Use my calculator and stay in the "long run" training pace range.

Dave

Good reminder to check out McMillan pace calculator. I love that tool. Turns out I was probably running my 800's a bit too fast (3:30 in the calculator versus 3:11), particularly my first one. And my recent tempo runs have been a bit too slow (8 minute pace versus 7:40).

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Go Pre!

Good reminder to check out McMillan pace calculator. I love that tool. Turns out I was probably running my 800's a bit too fast (3:30 in the calculator versus 3:11), particularly my first one. And my recent tempo runs have been a bit too slow (8 minute pace versus 7:40).
                yes, people tend to run their 800's at a pace they want to run, not what they should run

Giants Fan

Yes, been on the calculator. Was so excited to see I should start out at about 10:00 and work down to 9:00. Hard to keep my slower pace in beginning, think I'm naturally inclined to start faster, end slower for the long runs. I am hoping my body gets very efficient at working off fat! Big grin

Charles Schulz

HOSS1961

I thought the same thing but I'm really struggling to run much slower than 9:30 or so and I'm shooting for an 8:40 or so MP. I'm sure you're right that I should slow down on my LSD and easy runs so that my legs are fresher for the intensity runs.
                    I've only run 1 marathon and I am training for the next now but I have found that it hurts to run too slow. Anybody else experience this?
                    HOSS 2009 Goals Have a healthy back and run w/o pain! Drop 15 pounds gained while injured

Go Pre!

I've only run 1 marathon and I am training for the next now but I have found that it hurts to run too slow. Anybody else experience this?
                      Yes, but I got over it. think Stealth, feet low to the ground, short fast turnover, pretend you're running on hot coals. I am now capable of running really slow at the beginning and end of every run (11 minute miles) and enjoying it - heheeh i can run slow, what a feat!

Hawt and sexy

I feel like I have been here before. Like I posted here before. Oh wait, I DID, didn't I?

I'm touching your pants.

Dave

Yes, but I got over it. think Stealth, feet low to the ground, short fast turnover, pretend you're running on hot coals. I am now capable of running really slow at the beginning and end of every run (11 minute miles) and enjoying it - heheeh i can run slow, what a feat!
                          Yep. Technique makes a huge difference. I do the same thing FWIW. I can run slow without it hurting but I'm struggling with it mentally, not so much for warmup and cooldown but for the long stretches in between. McMillan puts my easy run pace between 9:10 and 9:40 so that's a very comfortable pace for me. I'm just not sure I would benefit more from going even slower than that just to hold my HR down, particularly in this heat. Do you guys slow down in the heat just to keep your HR down?

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com