Marathon Training and Discussions

Wanting to "race" this time, but... (Read 600 times)

Queen of 3rd Place

January 17 (Phoenix RNR), then March 21 (LA). I will be running LA alone, and would like to push myself a little bit this time rather than just finish/hang with my pals.

Background and disclosure: LA is only marathon #4. I have zero experience racing at any distance, I've run every race like a fun run, at easy pace or maybe a touch faster. I also have essentially zero experience with speedwork.

My average this year is just shy of 40 mpw, usually with a 10 - 12 mi weekly long run and some kind of mid-week sorta-long run. Working up to the marathon I do a pretty standard ratcheting up long runs: 14 - 12 - 16 - 12 - 18 - 12 - 20 - 12 - 20 - 12 -  then 2 week taper, with weekly mileage getting into the 60s this time around.  Easy pace at the moment is 10 - 10:30/mi most days.

I plan to take it easy in Phoenix, which is around 4:30 for me based on my last marathon.

OK, Questions: Is it dumb to think I can push myself at LA, only 9 weeks after Phoenix?

If the consensus is to go for it, any words of advice on training and racing?

Would it be exceptionally stupid to hook up with the 4:00 pace group in LA? The chicken part of me says start with the 4:15 group and see how it goes.

Ex runner

Hawt and sexy

I just have time for a drive by right now, but when my easy pace is hitting 10mm, I can BQ.  That's a 3:45.  And 9 weeks is plenty of time to recover from a 26.2 mile long run.

What part of training do you want to look into changing?  Speed?  Distance?

I'm touching your pants.

jpnairn

straw man

The 9 weeks is plenty of time.

To do the 4 hour marathon, get in some 9 minute/mile runs. I think you can do it, no problem, but you need to get used to that pace ahead of time. So far, it doesn't look like you've done that at all.

If the 9 minute pace feels tough for you a few weeks after Phoenix, then you can think about the 4:15 pace group.

He who has the best time wins. Jerry

Prince of Fatness

Is it dumb to think I can push myself at LA, only 9 weeks after Phoenix?

No.  Your not racing Phoenix all  out.  Plenty of time for some quality work between the races.

If the consensus is to go for it, any words of advice on training and racing?

You say you do races for fun.  Well, if your interested in racing then maybe find some races over the next few months and race them.  Even if it means possibly crashing.  But get some racing experience while you can.  Could even be short races like 5K but race them.

As far as training goes maybe start with some tempos, and add some MP miles to your long run.  Work a little on picking it up when you're tired.

Would it be exceptionally stupid to hook up with the 4:00 pace group in LA? The chicken part of me says start with the 4:15 group and see how it goes.

Depends on your goal.  There's nothing wrong with being conservative though.  If you join a pace group I suggest you talk to the pacer.  Not all are equal.  Some will bank time early, some will pick it up late, etc.  Bottom line is that none will run even splits.  Find out how they are planning to pace you.

Good luck.

Not at it at all. 

Queen of 3rd Place

You say you do races for fun.  Well, if your interested in racing then maybe find some races over the next few months and race them.  Even if it means possibly crashing.  But get some racing experience while you can.  Could even be short races like 5K but race them.

As far as training goes maybe start with some tempos, and add some MP miles to your long run.  Work a little on picking it up when you're tired.

Depends on your goal.  There's nothing wrong with being conservative though.  If you join a pace group I suggest you talk to the pacer.  Not all are equal.  Some will bank time early, some will pick it up late, etc.  Bottom line is that none will run even splits.  Find out how they are planning to pace you.

Really good thoughts you have there - thanks!! That first one really hit me, I mean, DUH! Probably not a good idea for my first hard effort to be during a marathon!

Ex runner

some advice given to me was that you should go out at a pace that feels comfortable which will be just a smidge too fast... so back it down just a hair.  for me 7:40-7:45 was that point... in my last marathon... so I backed it down to 7:50-8:00.

It is hard to guess based on your "RACE" times if you were taking it easy... 

I would try to learn to race... or run your best race at a shorter distance where going to fast for a mile or so won't totally kill you... the 1/2 marathon isn't a bad distance for that.

that being said... You could always be a bit more aggressive at Pheonix and try to run 4:20 ish... and take it from there... 

I second the idea of adding MP to your long run.  I think it beats you up if you do it all the time.. but I like adding some Marathon pace work to the last 3-4 miles of a 18-20 miler... or close... 

I also second the idea of a tempo runs... 3 miles at a clip quicker than marathon pace... I would guess you should be running a sub 25 minute 5k?  so you would be in the 8:30 range for tempo run...