Marathon Training and Discussions

Does tapering include swimming? (Read 209 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

So I plan to try to run a marathon next weekend in spite of a couple minor injuries. So I gather I should be tapering -- running less. That's easy enough, as I'm already running less to recover from aforementioned injuries. Should I also restrict my swimming? I don't swim more than an about an hour anyway, so I swim less duration than my longer runs were.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

If swimming was a part of your training and you swim hard, then a smaller taper would be called for. If you are just doing laps, though, then I wouldn't worry about it. Getting the exercise in w/o the stress on your legs will probably do well for you. You might consider taking a few days off from the pool leading up to the race, but I wouldn't worry about swimming through Thursday or even Friday.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Thanks Blaine!

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Imminent Catastrophe

Agree with Blaine. The main goal of the taper is to allow your legs to recover from all the wear and tear and reacharge. Swimming would not be a problem at all, and as long as you don't really do very hard swimming workouts, your swims should be fine.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016