Marathon Training and Discussions

Question about pace (Read 712 times)

Interesting. This tells me more miles are needed as well for my May marathon (first). My long and easy runs have been 9:04 to 9:30 or so and McMillan nails that based on my only 5K (23:10). McMillan says I can run a 3:45 marathon which seems agressive to me but we'll see where I'm at in March or so after many more miles.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Like a tempo run mid-week? Been thinking I should try and get a faster than normal run in mid week myself - gradually work up to say 30 min sandwiched between proper warm up and cool down mileage.
      I'm currently at the "anything is better than nothing" thinking for speedwork -- maybe I'll try a 30min tempo run at some point. The most I've done recently is one fast mile last week, at the end of the day.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

...---...

Interesting. This tells me more miles are needed as well for my May marathon (first). My long and easy runs have been 9:04 to 9:30 or so and McMillan nails that based on my only 5K (23:10). McMillan says I can run a 3:45 marathon which seems agressive to me but we'll see where I'm at in March or so after many more miles.
        A buddy of mine was in the same boat. He was skeptical, but McMillian nailed his half marathon time based on a series of 5K's run on similar terrain and temperature. Of course, he left everything on the race course and bought into (believed) McMillian's prediction time was possible...

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Like a tempo run mid-week? Been thinking I should try and get a faster than normal run in mid week myself - gradually work up to say 30 min sandwiched between proper warm up and cool down mileage.
          So far (and I've only been back to this for a few months, and not exactly the most consistent runner on the site) - I think this is the single biggest contributor to my race times coming down in the past few months. Consistent miles helped some, but the big changes didn't happen until I added a mid week semi-long tempo to the workout routine. MTA: EGH - What's your marathon 5/3?

A Saucy Wench

McMillian, for a buddy of mine, is spot on (within seconds). For me, not as much, but in the ball park..
            McMillan is pretty much spot on for me, has been for about 18 months but before that it wasnt. Midwest, given the rest of your times, I would expect with continued training you could drop your marathon time significantly.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Giants Fan

Thanks Ennay. Thinking lately my work will be motivation to run more!! No, I do want to drop at least 10 minutes do you think that is out of the question?

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

Dave

No, I do want to drop at least 10 minutes do you think that is out of the question?
                Oooh. I'm not Ennay but I know the answer to that question. Absolutely MTA: Not. Helps if I read the way the question is phrased. With the way you've been logging the miles, I see no reason why you can't shave that much off. I've got a similar goal to drop between marathons #2 and #3.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

MTA: EGH - What's your marathon 5/3?
                  Marathon is Vermont City, 5/24