Marathon Training and Discussions

Orthotic Insole ? (Read 224 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So I'm a huge fan of the Superfeet insoles. I credit them almost entirely with my making it through marathon training mostly uninjured. They were pretty much the last ditch option at 10 weeks into my training plan and I'd decided that if they didn't help I'd be forced to drop out of the race entirely. So I have a pair of the "berry" and a pair of "green." They fit a bit differently. The green ones have a bit more aggressive an arch and deeper heel cup, so they seem to control my overpronation a bit better. I notice the berry ones less in my shoes--ie the fit is a bit more "natural" to the shape of my arch/foot, but the control seems milder. Until recently it appeared that the green ones did a better job of keeping my kneecap tracking issues at bay, but I've been wearing them exclusively for several weeks and the knee stuff is back to a mild degree, so maybe the control isn't all that much increased with the greens as I had originally believed. So, herein lies the "rub." I have worn each pair for each of my 2 20 milers--both were comfortable, but I think the more substantial arch of the green ones could start to irritate the underside of my foot under longer race conditions. I definitely notice the arch on those more, particularly with my left foot. As a result I'm leaning more towards wearing the berry ones on race day. They don't have as much support, but I start imagining my foot rejecting the green ones toward the last 10k of the race and thinking about how miserable that last 6+ miles could be with an insole that's not agreeing with me. Anyone with any BTDTs or advice?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Purdey

Self anointed title

BTDTs? I'd get that checked out Kirsten! .....seriously... what does that stand for?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

been there, done that. Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

Giants Fan

Don't wear anything on your feet that are going to irritate or hurt. My feet were KILLING ME at the end, can't imagine having something in my shoe that would irritate further....

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Don't wear anything on your feet that are going to irritate or hurt. My feet were KILLING ME at the end, can't imagine having something in my shoe that would irritate further....
            Yeah, I'm leaning towards the berry ones because of that. I did my 3 miler in them today and they were noticeably less noticeable™ (heh).

~ Sarah Kay