Marathon Training and Discussions

Change of venue? (Read 414 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So...since I first got the insane bug in my brain to run a marathon Grand Rapids was the obvious choice. I've run the half twice and really like the race organization and overall vibe of the event. BUT...this year they moved the date back a week and it will almost certainly coincide with the weekend that did will be in Death Valley doing his annual JDRF fundraising bike trek. So I had pretty much resigned myself to running my first marathon without my spouse there to cheer me on (or get me to and from the race venue, which would mean sleeping someplace other than my own bed the night before and after the race...I've never been good at sleeping in strange beds)...and knowing that I might have to deal with DS while trying to relax and prepare myself for the biggest race of my running "career," thus far. It also frustrates me, because my mom will have a long weekend the last weekend of Oct., which is when the GRM usually takes place, so my folks could have come over to MI to watch me run, too, but not on the week that it was moved to for '08. So why am I so hell bent on running GRM, instead of a different race? There really is no good reason, but there are plenty of reasons to look for a different race to run. Which is why I think I will instead register for the Lakefront Marathon in Milwaukee. DH will be able to attend that race, as would my parents, cousins of my dad who live in Milwaukee, my sister and her boys (in Green Bay), and my brother in the Chicago area. Plus I'm a born and raised Cheesehead...it only seems appropriate that I run my first marathon in "the motherland." Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

SERIOUSLY!!!??? I would LOVE to do this one with you!! I might only run the half marathon, but we could meet up and eat some pasta together!! One of my best friends just moved to Milwaukee and I've been looking for an excuse to visit. She's a runner too, so maybe I could convince her to sign up as well. Kirsten, I want your details...
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Sara, if you are there...then I have no choice but to do that race! *squeals* Big grin Here is the site: Lakeshore Marathon And...bonus--it's a lot cheaper than GR. I think GR is about $65 or more and Lakeshore is $50--cheaper than the GR HM. k

~ Sarah Kay

I unfortunately live in WI and may run the Lakefront Marathon. I plan on running the Green Bay Marathon in May and I'm going to see how that goes first. My only suggestion to you is that if you want to run, sign up early. It doesn't fill up super quickly, but there is a limit on the number of runners. The race is in Oct., so if you sign up sometime during the summer you'll probably be OK.
          Fortitudine Vincimus - "By endurance we conquer,"
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey, Jim...GB is on my list of races I think I'd someday like to do. My folks live in Door Co. and GB was always "the big city" as a kid, so it would be neat to run a race there. Maybe '09 will be the year I do that one. Good advice to sign up well in advance. I'll probably want to do so before Spring, just to be safe. k

~ Sarah Kay

I unfortunately live in WI...
              Ouch. I'm another Milwaukee resident and would encourage you both to make the trek. Sounds like zz knows what's in store and I've heard great things about the Lakefront Marathon. Just hope for winds from the North but it seems like a pretty fast course regardless of the winds. MTA - Plus having your family there would be great and almost a necessity for the marathon. I would imagine they can be a powerful motivator.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ouch. I'm another Milwaukee resident and would encourage you both to make the trek. Sounds like zz knows what's in store and I've heard great things about the Lakefront Marathon. Just hope for winds from the North but it seems like a pretty fast course regardless of the winds. MTA - Plus having your family there would be great and almost a necessity for the marathon. I would imagine they can be a powerful motivator.
                Yeah, what's so "unfortunate" about WI. I've lived in MI for almost 15 years and am still homesick for the great state of cheese...GO PACK!!! Smile DH was excited to see that one of the parking areas along the course is at a big cycling shop--apparently the same group that is responsible for the mechanics that the JDRF uses on the big fundraising rides he's involved with. So he already has one spot on the course that he'd plan to be at. Speaking of, is it easy for spectators to drive to and from various parts of the course, including to the finish once the race is underway? Also, might we start a Lakeshore Marathon user group....I'd like to see if we could get some sort of RA meet-up maybe that day or the night before. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

pandajenn19

I always figured my first marathon would either be the Go St Louis marathon or the Lewis & Clark (also local). But turns out my first will be Little Rock, and I'm actually pretty excited to be going somewhere unexpected. I think the change in venue has really made the whole process a lot more fun so far, especially since I cannot randomly bail when I've got plans to go out of town like that. Wherever you go, you are going to rock it. Wink
                    Speaking of, is it easy for spectators to drive to and from various parts of the course, including to the finish once the race is underway? Also, might we start a Lakeshore Marathon user group....I'd like to see if we could get some sort of RA meet-up maybe that day or the night before.
                    I'm not sure. I know the course roughly follows I-43 for much of the early miles so it should be pretty easy for spectators to hop onto the freeway and make it quickly to the next spot. And they do have suggested areas (like the Wheel and Sprocket bike store) so you'd have to think they will make it convenient. The finish area is a wide-open park on the lakefront near downtown so that shouldn't be too difficult to navigate.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Yeah, what's so "unfortunate" about WI. I've lived in MI for almost 15 years and am still homesick for the great state of cheese...GO PACK!!! Smile I was born, raised and lived in WI my entire life and as soon as I'm ready to retire it's off to someplace warm for me! It's snowing right now (we're supposed to get 5 inches) and the high on Saturday was 1 below. I'm a wuss, what can I say?
                        Just an FYI for anyone who wants to run the race in Oct. They are going to allow 2,750 people to run this year (I think about 250 more that '07), but I found out that the race closed on June 6th in 2007. That was about 6 weeks earlier than the prior year. If your planning on running, you have some time, but not too much. I'm still going to see how the Green Bay Marathon works for me in May. If I'm still walking upright after the race I'll probably sign up then. Jim