Marathon Training and Discussions

And so taper begins...predictions/comments on my race plan? (Read 647 times)

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Finished my second 20 miler yesterday at a very brisk pace for me (11:22--faster than most of my easy runs). My legs were a bit sore by the end, but I think it was a good gauge on where I am, fitness-wise. I didn't push to 21 or 22 in order to avoid re-injuring my quad. This is a "just to finish with a smile" race, as I plan to train HARD for MCM in october. That being said, this is my thought on pacing-- anyone with additonal comments, go ahead. Miles 1-5: 11:30 mm Miles 6-10: 11:20mm Miles 11:15: 11:10 mm Miles 15-22: 11:00mm Miles 22 - 26.2: 11:00mm or survival pace. I want to finish under 4:58 and think that's reasonable. Your thoughts? Note: I did have a 15 mile week 2 weeks ago since my ITB/quad were hurting badly. I elected rest over miles. Since then, things have only improved and I am pain free today. FWIW, I know I am undertrained, but this motivated me to build enough base to actually train for MCM.

Chris
    PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

Oh Mighty Wing

I think you are going to do AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MTA: I think that being that it's your first and you already have your second planned/paid for I wouldn't necessarily go with a pacing plan. I would go out for enjoyment and just run at whatever you end up running. That way at the end if you are smiling you are happy even if it takes you 5:30. I would hate for you to be disappointed if you don't meet your goal and then have doubts about MCM. There's my $0.02 but take it with a grain of salt.

Dave

Chris, it seems like you have a reasonable plan. Don't sweat your level of preparation at this point. Your 20 miler is a good indicator that you're ready for the distance, so long as you pace it conservatively and your plan seems appropriate. Try not to over do the taper. I think I tapered too much for my last race and my legs got a bit stale. Better to keep the mileage up and ramp down just in the last week before the race.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Try not to over do the taper. I think I tapered too much for my last race and my legs got a bit stale. Better to keep the mileage up and ramp down just in the last week before the race.
          Good thought. I make this week a "normal week", 35 or so miles, ending with 16. I think the taper will be fairly gradual from there until race week. MTA:
          I would hate for you to be disappointed if you don't meet your goal and then have doubts about MCM. There's my $0.02 but take it with a grain of salt.
          Good thoughts. 4:58 is my stretch goal, as my lazy male co-worker finished his in that time. I won't be upset if I go longer, I just want to avoid the wall (if possible) and all that related suffering through smart, conservative pacing.

Chris
          PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k