Marathon Training and Discussions

runners knee nooo (Read 275 times)

I have 21/2 weeks before my 26.2 and my knee went out Angry Angry Angry. ran a 5 mile knee sore and stiff, I ice then heat . any one have any ideas. I would go to the doc. but they tell me to take weeks off. I hate knees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    jpnairn

straw man

Just the standard advice, RICE: Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. Rest the injury. Cut back or stop running for a while, at least a few days. Ice. Ice is good. What are you trying to do with heat? It isn't a muscle injury, so I see no benefit in heating it. Maybe someone else will have a different opinion. Compression. If you're going to run, consider wrapping the knee, to keep the patella in place and reduce swelling. Elevate your feet. Let the blood run out of your legs as much as you can to reduce swelling and inflammation. You might also consider Ibuprofen. Inflammation is the enemy. Start your tapering with this steep drop off. When you can run without pain, don't push it. You can't train yourself into a better marathon at this point. You may as well do whatever you can not to injure yourself any worse. But this is all just my opinion, and I'm not that good at this marathoning thing. Good luck.

He who has the best time wins. Jerry

Go Pre!

RICE is good. The heat is ok BUT ice it first to reduce swelling, then hot espom salt bath to flush it out, then ice it again. Water, lots of it. Vitamin 'I' Rest it, elevated but not hyper extended. take a few days off, then, run easy, Jerry is right, you cannot improve your fitness within 2 1/2 weeks. Swim, if you are going stir crazy while not running.
          thank you!!! Went to the doc today Angry I see what a week can do I just want to run my race!!!!! all the miles and now side lined Sad WISH ME LUCK