Marathon Training and Discussions

Marathon Buildup? (Read 201 times)

Future running partner.

I am planning a schedule to build up to my first marathon (Baltimore Oct 11th). I have been running about 35 to 40 mpw fairly consistently for the last 9 months even with some intense training while preping for some recent 8k and 10ks. I have 2 goals in mind. 1. I want to finish my first marathon. 2. I want to become as aerobicly fit as possible. I plan on running all my build up for the most part at a very easy pace for me. I've been reading up on "Hadd's Approach to Distance Training" and just recently joined the Low HR Training forum and getting some ideas from there. I have only been running for about 15 months. Given the mileage I have been training at, I was planning on uping my mileage this time around to either 50 or 60 mpw. My question is, right now my schedule has me build to 50 mpw in about 5 weeks with a long run on that 5th week of 15 miles. I plan on increasing my long run 1 mile per week until about the last week of September (25 mile long run), with a rest week on every 4th week. As my long run increases from here on out should i reduce some of my midweek runs to maintain 50 mpw or should I risk it, by maintaining them, ultimately reaching 60 mpw in that last week of september.

I'd play it by ear. I think you have a pretty good plan for building up your mileage, and if you get overly tired or sore you can always cut back a little midweek. Generally speaking, I think that if you maintain your midweek runs and increase your long run by 1 mile per week with a rest week every 4th week, you will give your body more than enough time to adapt to the new stresses. Just be sure to take an easy day or two after your long run.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Future running partner.

I'd play it by ear. I think you have a pretty good plan for building up your mileage, and if you get overly tired or sore you can always cut back a little midweek. Generally speaking, I think that if you maintain your midweek runs and increase your long run by 1 mile per week with a rest week every 4th week, you will give your body more than enough time to adapt to the new stresses. Just be sure to take an easy day or two after your long run.
        THANKS!!! That's very encouraging to here. My big fear is getting injured, since my time table is tight. However, I think my main goal is really the aerobic conditioning. The finishing the marathon is a close 2nd goal and a great motivational tool to get me there.