Marathon Training and Discussions

Myrtle Beach Marathon (Read 148 times)

Kimmie

This past weekend, I was at my family reunion, and my cousin who lives in South Carolina, lets me know that he plans to run this marathon in Feb. I said, "I'll run it with you!" Now, he wasn't asking me to run it with him, I didn't think this through or anything. Smile But I've spoken to my husband; he's on board and I'm excited. So, the plan is: run the Marine Corps Marathon on 10/26 and then another one 16 weeks later. I want to qualify for Boston, which is a bit of long shot for me, so maybe Myrtle Beach will be a good second chance. I'm not too worried about the time between marathons. I think that's enough time for recovery and ramping back up. But, I've never trained hard through the winter. ( we live in northern VA.) So, has anyone here run this marathon before? I've read the comments on marathon guide and it's got me more excited. That and doing the whole thing with family is going to be fun.
    xor

I have, though they've changed the course slightly since I did it. It isn't pancake flat, but it is basically a flat course. It can be chilly, but the main weather penalty is wind. Not always, but expect it and be pleasantly surprised if there isn't that much. The org is fine. Tip: The start/finish is near the "broadway at the beach" area. If you are staying in a hotel, get a room here rather than one down at the ocean. The rooms are way nicer and it makes race day logistics easier. And speaking of pancakes... you will see a whole lot more pancake houses and crappy flop hotels than you will actual 'beach'. Smile

Kimmie

Thanks srlopez.... I remember your posts on coolrunning and I'm glad to see you here. We can always count on you to know about pretty much any marathon. I think it will be fun to see how I can train through most of the winter. I have visions of going to the gym and running 20 miles on a treadmill because of ice. I have always run through the winter, but never kept up any high mileage weeks. I need to focus on this Marine Corps first and then see how training for this next one will go. I know lots of people run marathons closer than this- it's just new to me. In 2004 I ran Grandmas in June and then New York in November and it felt like I didn't give myself enough time to recover before I plunged right back into it. I want to avoid that mistake this time. What's next for you?
        xor

Sunday's Haulin Aspen trail marathon in Bend OR. I've done it twice before. 14 miles up, 12 miles down... the down is technical downhill. Usually I hate that, but it is seriously 12 of the most fun miles I've ever run anywhere.