Marathon Training and Discussions

War Stories - Worst Marathon Preparation (Read 2333 times)

Thanks, friend! Cheers, Norm
    If you go as far as you can see, you will then see enough to go even farther. - John Wooden

Dave

Bump.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Thanks for giving this a bump, Dave. I spewed coffee reading it (but I do feel better about my fall marathon prep).

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Dave

Thanks, Yapper. I may have to start a new War Stories thread on worst marathon execution using my last race as the starting example. Big grin

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Carl A

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Dave

I won't go into all the details again but I was fairly well prepared but overreached, perhaps in terms of my goal (3:30 was my goal), but certainly in terms of my execution. I ran the first half in 1:43 (almost 2 minutes faster than my goal pace). Continued pressing the pace through mile 20, after which I had a complete bonk experience. Pretty bad. Last 10K took more more than 1 hour and 20 minutes of shuffling the finish. I went from a 3:25 pace for the first half to a final finish at 3:54, losing nearly 20 minutes in the last 5 miles. I'm still trying to think up the metrics on this to have a competition. - Biggest positive split - Highest delta between your first 10K and your last 10K - Spectacular stomach troubles or vomiting. That sort of thing Big grin

dgb2n@yahoo.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

... I'm still trying to think up the metrics on this to have a competition. - Biggest positive split - Highest delta between your first 10K and your last 10K - Spectacular stomach troubles or vomiting. That sort of thing Big grin
                Sounds like a promising thread!

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

C-R

I won't go into all the details again but I was fairly well prepared but overreached, perhaps in terms of my goal (3:30 was my goal), but certainly in terms of my execution. I ran the first half in 1:43 (almost 2 minutes faster than my goal pace). Continued pressing the pace through mile 20, after which I had a complete bonk experience. Pretty bad. Last 10K took more more than 1 hour and 20 minutes of shuffling the finish. I went from a 3:25 pace for the first half to a final finish at 3:54, losing nearly 20 minutes in the last 5 miles. I'm still trying to think up the metrics on this to have a competition. - Biggest positive split - Highest delta between your first 10K and your last 10K - Spectacular stomach troubles or vomiting. That sort of thing Big grin
                  That sounds like my experience last Oct. Cruising along when the wheels fell off and took an axle with it. Went from 3:30 to 3:48 in no time. Just a note, it does get better. This last weekend I only lost 7 minutes on the last 10K but I did hit a ridiculous PR in the process. So from failure comes improvement.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

DoppleBock

Mine is not as grand as most - I had been injured from Sept 1st 2007 - for 6 months - restarting training on March 1st 2008 - I had already paid for the Boston Marathon, so I better get my fat ass in gear and do a little training. Starting weight was #238 I decided I also wanted to do a 50 mile trail race 3 weeks after Boston and a 24 hour race 4 weeks after that. All in the name of fun (If you call pain fun). This meant that I was combining ultra training and marathon training. I also ramped up mileage very quickly. Week # 1 40 miles long run 12 Week # 2 82 miles long run 22 week # 3 106 miles long run 31 week # 4 124 miles long run 43 followed by a 22 miler the next day week # 5 91 miles long run 21 (3 speed sessions) Week #6 71 miles long run 12 (3 speed sessions) week #7 54 miles (2 speed sessions) Week #8 105 miles - Boston on Monday (3:07) followed by a 31 miler on Saturday Weigth #221 Week #9 115 miles - with a 30 mile long run Week #10 113 miles with a 50 mile trail race in 7:36 - 2nd OA Weight #215 week #11 74 miles Week #12 134 miles with a 31 miler and a 41 miler week # 13 93 miles with 3 speed sessions Week #14 166 miles with 123.5 long run (24 hour race) Weight #203 6 months off then 7 weeks to train from 0 to marathon, 10 weeks to train from 0 to 50 miler and 14 weeks to train from 0 to 24 hour race - 10% rule I laugh in your face! After that the year was downhill - ran a lot - not much focus - ate and drank a lot - weight was @ 215. But I had a lot of fun running 4 more marathons - that I usually would not - just for fun.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Yours is more insane than most, esp in terms of radically rising mileage. Congratulations Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Heh, I have a friend running her first full at Vegas (early Dec.).  She is hoping to get up to a long run of 12 miles or so in the meantime.  She is a pretty hardcore cyclist (road and mountain) and more than a bit of a pain-junkie, but I think she may be surprised at how different running a marathon will be vs. doing non-race century rides that involve regular stops.  I have a feeling I will be sending her to submit her entry to this thread in a couple of months... Wink

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

an amazing likeness

My first ever race (other than one 5-miler in 1987) was a marathon.  Marathon was on May 25.  I signed up in May 8th and started my training that day with a web search, which lead to coolrunning and some training plans.  Read, read...whoa, what -- 18 week plans?  Uh oh. I was not, at this time, a regular runner in any form.

Here are excerpts from actual emails from the time with my younger sister who had asked me to run with her, leading to my entry into the marathon:

Sis:

"Hey - Bear in mind I do not train for things...Did 500 mile bike ride through the rockies without riding more than 100 miles to train, I did think I might have to do a bit for this event.  I am doing about 5-6 miles. once or twice a week"

"I looked for training info, and had veterans lead me to this sight: (sic) www.coolrunnings.com  (sic)
                          coolrunnings advices getting in 1 big run on Sundays, take Monday off..Otherwise it is pretty standard training"

"I did talk to a friend who has done a few at a moderately competitive level. she says get in at least one or two 3 hour runs and you are fine."

"3 hours!  WHaaat!.  Gilligan and the castaways set out for 3 hours and look what happened to them -- they were so lost that only people from space could see them"

"She advices walking some of it-prevent the leg cramps. and go slowly. And carry food, and stop, walk and eat.

"Why not? life is an adventure...and there is ben and jerry's when you are done!! "

"Go race info email -- what are these chips they are talking about, how does this work.  This is complicated...we have to get there ahead of time it says, and you are always, always late.  Don't you come sauntering up like an hour after this thing has started and we're already way behind..!"

"haven't gotten the race info yet, did it say whether (name of yellow lab)  could run with me?"

They were rolling up the timing mats at the finish when my sister came into sight, and we begged them to wait so she could get a time. Then we waited and waited and waited, the finally she walked up and said "I had to stop in the porta potty".  WITHIN SIGHT of the FINISH, she went to the toilet!!!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Maniac

I re-read a lot of these....Carl's made me laugh out loud again.

I really really really hope I don't have a submission for this thread in January.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

These stories are great...thanks for sharing

A Saucy Wench

My preparation for the monkey was pretty stinking.  Not as bad as my first, but pretty far up there.  But so damn worth it!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7