Marathon Training and Discussions

Good Grief Peeps. Did You all die? (Read 1040 times)

Go Pre!

Damn Daddyo! I was just creeping up on you in miles and I can see you'll be hitting the after burners real soon.

On a serious note, how is the Niagara falls run? My grandmother and lots of family members live outside of Rchester and I thought about coupling this with a family vacation.

My mileage actually dropped off this sunner. Took a bit of a rest period after June's 50k race. Then we moved, and renovated, quite exhasting. Back into it now though and felt pretty good after last weekend's 30k race.

I haven't run this particualr Niagara race although the 50k Idid in June covers a lot of the same ground. You get to cross the border and back during the race which is a bit of a novelty. I have heard good things about it and want to do back to back to back so I am 'fitting it in'

Running Wine Glass Marathon on Oct 4.  Not going to make a boston qualify this year... but I will try for sub 3:30... which will be an 8 minute PR... then perhaps I'll give it a go in spring at Toledo...

50k last winter and pulled hammy  took alot out of me... and I didn't get back to being able to tolerate double digit miles until this summer...

Top 'O the World!

Boulder Backroads 9/20/09

Vegas RnR  12/6/09

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Queen of 3rd Place

I didn't die, but my dad did (pardon my dark sense of humor - it's not a tragedy, trust me, no one in the family has had much to do with him for over 20 years). Did back off a bit over the summer due to family issues/heat/general laziness.

Next marathon is Phoenix Rock n Roll in January, and a few HMs from now 'til then (Disney, Long Beach, Fresno, maybe Healdsburg just 'cause it's so pretty). I should be able to shave off a few more minutes in Pheonix, get around 4:15, super-secret goal of 4:00 to BQ, really just plan to relax and have fun.

Ex runner

Top 'O the World!

I saw that!
            Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Maniac

Next marathon is Phoenix Rock n Roll in January. 

I'm doing that one as well.  I posted on the "Welcome" sticky awhile back, but didn't get a lot of responses.  Check in here periodically to see what's going on....Not much lately.

1st marathon, so just want to finish without having to be scraped off the pavement.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

jpnairn

straw man

I've done RNRAZ 5 times so far, and will probably do it again this January. What are the time goals for folks here? I've been the pace group leader for 4:15 for the past three years.

He who has the best time wins. Jerry

Queen of 3rd Place

Jerry - I might be tempted to join your pace group. My last one was 4:31-something and I was holding back to hang with a couple of friends, had a lot left in the tank the last 10K.

AZ - Pheonix should be a good choice for a first, I believe it's pancake-flat.

Ex runner

jpnairn

straw man

Yes, it's very flat. There are a couple of long, gradual, uphills and a bridge over the Salt River at mile 23, which some find very hard to take at that point. I, m not saying that to scare anyone, but I don't want to just let the "pancake flat" description slide by without comment. Then you might be ticked off around mile 23 on race day. :-)

He who has the best time wins. Jerry

Maniac

Yeah...I've heard about the bridge....I have a buddy who ran it a couple of years ago.

I think I wrote/typed 4:20 on the registration form.  A bit ambitious probably.  We shall see.

The half marathon course is also described as "pancake flat"....However, i don't think I have ever completely run the hill that is at about Mile 10 or so....There are a few minor hills before that one, but there is a steep (but short) one that levels off in a parking lot.  Gets me every time.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

Hi, I'm Dari.  Ok, I'm new to this forum and I'll be running my first marathon in October.  The Niagara Falls International on October 25th - same as Daddyo, apparently!   I'm incredibly excited and equally nervous.

If anyone wants to log stalk and give me their opinion, I'm open to honest feedback.  Usual caveats apply - if you are feeling particularly surly or pardon the vernacular,  "asshole-ish", I can get that from my teenager in my home so save it, please and thank you.

Queen of 3rd Place

Dari - just want to say   You and I are about the same age and have a similar running background, but your easy runs are all about 1 - 2 min/mi faster than mine! I'm impressed! And...darn it... I'm jealous!

Anyway, assuming your long runs go well and you don't get injured or sick between now and then, I've got my money on a BQ for you. 

Arla

Ex runner

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Dari: Nice log! Very strong consistency and mileage. And I glanced at your PRs, and your 5K one looks ripe to get improved if you feel like it -- looks like you ran 6mi at 8:30 and called it easy not long ago, and your 5K PR pace is 8:15, so seems likely you could knock that off any time you wanted to. (ObDisclaimer: I'm just another amateur.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

thanks everyone.  I am getting to the point where I feel like maybe I'm beyond the "don't know what I don't know" stage about daily running but certainly not racing.  I've only been running for just over a year.  I did a half-marathon as my first race ever and loved it.  My training pace is a bit too fast.  It always has been, but believe it or not I've slowed it down about 20 seconds from last year.  Your comment about my 5K makes me laugh because I LOATHE 5K's.  The idea that I run so fast that I either puke or want to is about as appealing as chewing on tin foil.  Somehow distance (probably because of my age) is much more satisfying - just getting there works for me.

Again, I appreciate your attention!  

labhiker

Has anyone run Cape Cod? 

Any advice or comments about the hills or rolling terrain on the second half? 

It will be my first CC and Im try to anticipate the reported hills?

labhiker