Marathon Training and Discussions

Help (Read 241 times)

Dog-Love

Its blowing and raining in Juneau and I am about to go out for a 20 mile run. This is supposed to be my last LONG run before I taper for the BiZZ JOHNSON marathon in California on October 7th. I am not feeling all that confident with these over 15 mile runs. Part of the problem is my training partner is faster and I have bonked at 13 or 14 miles many times and had to walk the rest (hence the 11 minute miles on some long runs). I ran a 16 mile race last Saturday (with no sleep at 3 in the morning) and I felt great. 10 minute miles the entire way. So here is my question...I am striving for a solid 20-miler today at my own ace and wonder if I should pull another 22-miler next week. If you look at my log I don't run a lot of 10-14 mile runs in the week (I am a working mom). Would it be better to be done with the long slow runs after today, maintain the mileage for 2 weeks (get 2 12 milers in) and have one really restful (low mileage) week. I am not a speedy runner but my goal is to finish under 4:40 and hopefully maybe miraculously 4:30. Modified to add...Thanks
    Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
    jdmcgregor

All business

If it were me, I would not run a 22 miler. I would suggest doing 20 miles at your own pace this weekend, and seeing how it goes. My first marathon, I was pretty bad about getting in the 10 or 12 milers during the week as well. Keep up those daily 6's and i'm sure you'll be fine. Do allow time for rest though, especially that first week in Oct.

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

Jeffrey

I agree with jdmcgregor, do the 20 ... but hold off on the 22. Consecutive weeks at 20+ could be grueling. You definitely need to provide recovery time in your schedule. Runs of 20+ take a lot out of me. If my training plan calls for 20, then it will be 17 the following week.
          If it were me, I would not run a 22 miler. I would suggest doing 20 miles at your own pace this weekend, and seeing how it goes. My first marathon, I was pretty bad about getting in the 10 or 12 milers during the week as well. Keep up those daily 6's and i'm sure you'll be fine. Do allow time for rest though, especially that first week in Oct.
          I agree...don't do the 22 next weekend. make this 20 miler your maximum long run. I think that getting in many (short) runs during tapering, at an eas ypace, is more important than the runs over 5 miles. Take 2 days each week off, if you can. But run slowlly and short as often as possible.
          Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

Dog-Love

OK...thanks you all. My 20-miler was GREAT at 10.5 minute miles or a bit faster. I had lots left to give it and didn't feel sick. Could drink a beer within 1 hour which never happens when I run too fast. I will take your advice and just spend the next couple of weeks keeping my fitness up. If I ever choose to run another marathon (I might) I will learn to pace myself better in training.
            Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)