Marathon Training and Discussions

Cut-Back (Read 515 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

Blaine your stats alone scare me! Blush I've only been running 1 year and am enjoying the highest mileage I've ever had!
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I ran my first 3 or 4 BQs and sub-3 hour races off of 40-45 miles per week at peak.
      Yeah, but you're kind of a freak of nature... Wink

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Blaine your stats alone scare me! Blush I've only been running 1 year and am enjoying the highest mileage I've ever had!
        Build slowly, build consistently, and above all else don't get injured. And have fun, some people think that that is important too. Wink

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Oh Mighty Wing

I'm excited!!
            When I have a cut-back week or a recovery week, I make sure that not only is my long run of the week shorter but so are the other runs during the week. You can check out my log to see what I do.
            Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09

A Saucy Wench

I usually find that life causes cutback weeks whether I plan for them or not, so I just try to plan my cutback weeks when I know I will need to anyway. If that makes sense. Like for vacation etc. Sometimes I go 3 weeks in a cycle, sometimes 4, I dont worry too much. My overall plan is to be ahead of schedule so I dont stress about having to change something to accomodate life.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Go Pre!

I usually find that life causes cutback weeks whether I plan for them or not, so I just try to plan my cutback weeks when I know I will need to anyway. If that makes sense. Like for vacation etc. Sometimes I go 3 weeks in a cycle, sometimes 4, I dont worry too much. My overall plan is to be ahead of schedule so I dont stress about having to change something to accomodate life.
                What she said Smile

A Saucy Wench

What she said Smile
                  I am apparently a font of wisdom today. And up past my bedtime.

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Just poking my head in here to say that I finished my first marathon this spring using HH intermediate 1 plan and was very pleased with the outcome. I am currently using HH intermediate 2 for my fall marathon. The 2 plan does not cut back mid week runs as you noticed but the 1 plan does. I see you are thinking of making a lot of changes to the beginner plan and what you end up with is pretty much the intermediate 1 plan anyway. My only other thought is that being as you are fairly low miles coming in ,I would consider taking at least 1 day of complete rest each week and in my case last year I took 2 full rest day. I have begun cross training on one of those days this time through but easing into the extra effort. Remember that as this progresses you will need recovery time so that your next workout can be at a quality effort. When you get into the higher long runs that are going to be so important on race day you need to make sure they are the best run of the week. Just MHO . Good luck with your training it will be such a great feeling when you finally cross that finish line. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Oh Mighty Wing

Thank you all for the advice. So far so good. We'll see how i'm doing in a couple weeks. If i'm struggling to recover or make my runs then i'll have to adjust. Right now though I'm feeling good!

A Saucy Wench

See...last week was supposed to be cutback, this week was not. But family sick so this week is.

A Saucy Wench

DAMN - it wasnt supposed to be THIS much of a cutback, I was still supposed to do a 20 this weekend but spent the whole day on the couch clutching a bucket. Roll eyes

Oh Mighty Wing

DAMN - it wasnt supposed to be THIS much of a cutback, I was still supposed to do a 20 this weekend but spent the whole day on the couch clutching a bucket. Roll eyes
                            oh no! are you feeling better? this week is my first cut-back and i think my poor legs willl be thankful!
                              If it's any consolation, a short period of forced down time often helps, so long as the down time doesn't involve injury.