Marathon Training and Discussions

Smallish marathons. (Read 1142 times)

Jill_B

I fly.

I'm interested in people's experiences with small marathons (I'm looking for one to run in the fall and maybe the spring!)! 

Bring it on.

bigkenny

I've run big (Chicago) and small (Murray Ridge Trail, Elyria, OH) - 125 runners.

The bigs have plenty of support, pacers, large expos, etc. You have to pay your money months out and if the weather is bad you're out of luck. With 40,000 runners it is usually difficult to get in and out. My experiences have not been great.

The smalls are nice for me because I choose the ones that have same day sign up. That makes it good to not have to worry about weather. You can dress appropriately, or if it is going to be ugly out you can wait a week or two for another. This is easily done here in NW Ohio where there are several fall marathons within 150 miles. There are also plenty of marathons that you can sign up less than a week out. This also gives you a pretty good idea of what the weather is going to be like.

Obviously, I like the smalls better than the larges.

highonrunning

My first marathon was small, considering others that are out there.

Mount Desert Island Marathon, Tough but fair course, with only 1000 runners. The aid stations are awesome, people on the island are very supportive of the whole race. I thought the course expo was just the right size, with just a few important vendors and your not overwhelmed with people trying to sell you stuff.

I ran under 3 hrs, and it was an awesome experience. The race director really cares about his marathon and wants to make it the very best it can be.

A Saucy Wench

hmmmmm....what small fall marathon could there be.....

oh you probably want a flatter one.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Queen of 3rd Place

What do you mean by "smallish". We have one here in Fresno, CA, first week of November, maybe 1000 people, and for a reasonable price (I think early registration was $50 this year) you get a nice long-sleeve tech tee, a tech hat, and at the finish a hooded sweatshirt at the finish,  an attractive medal, a hot breakfast, hot fudge sundaes, and a beer. There are plenty of porta-pots. The course is fairly flat. The weather is almost always perfect for running (mid-50s this year and cloudy, no wind). The scenery is a little boring. Crowd support is just ok. A ton of people BQd. If you have time, there are three national parks within an easy drive (Yosemite, King's Canyon, Sequoia). If you fly via San Jose (cheapest option), you can also hit the Monterey Bay/Carmel/Big Sur area. I recommend driving the Big Sur marathon course!

Ex runner

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I do our local one, which is capped at 200 ppl, and usually gets near that many I think, and I have enjoyed it every year. No crowds applauding -- just the aid station volunteers to cheer us on.

My first (and only) 50K was capped at 200, and I think only about 50 or so of us showed up and ran it. Results still not up (although it was a year ago), so I'm not sure about the number Smile   It was very informal, and very friendly.  I enjoyed milling about with maybe 15 or so other people at a junction near the middle, discussing if anyone knew where to go, and some guy said he was going this way, but didn't claim to be right, and we all set off following him. Really, I found it entertaining.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Maybe you're thinking of one that sells out way too far ahead of time.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Jill_B

I fly.

LOL, been there, done that... looking for another! 

Bring it on.

Hawt and sexy

I know there is a small one out by you in October. The good news is it's perfectly flat and by the shore. The bad news is it's 8 laps of flat shore in October. If you have a windy fall day, well then...

Asbury Park. I only bring it up because it's close for you. I have never run it, but considered it because I like beaches and surf and stuff.

I'm touching your pants.

an amazing likeness

Green Mountain Marathon in South Hero VT has a good reputation. 

Sugarloaf Marathon (Carrabasett Valley ME) is a great little race in May on a gorgeous course.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Jill_B

I fly.

I know there is a small one out by you in October. The good news is it's perfectly flat and by the shore. The bad news is it's 8 laps of flat shore in October. If you have a windy fall day, well then...

Asbury Park. I only bring it up because it's close for you. I have never run it, but considered it because I like beaches and surf and stuff.

I ran it the first year they held it.  During a nor'easter.  It wasn't pleasant.

Bring it on.

Jill_B

I fly.

I'm running St. George in Utah on October 1.

Bring it on.

Hawt and sexy

Oh Gawd. Steamtown makes my back swell. I can't imagine what St George would to it. I'm sure I'll find out someday though.

I'm touching your pants.

Joe1775

Johnstown, PA marathon goes the beginning of October.  This year there were 58 of us.  We finished in a stadium.  As I approached a volunteer with a hand held radio called in my race bib number.  As I entered the stadium I heard, very loudly "Now entering the stadium..." and my name.  Way Cool!!   

Ya' can't get that with a big marathon unless you are in the top 3 or 4, maybe. 

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

LOL, been there, done that... looking for another! 

Boo.