Marathon Training and Discussions

Are you being discouraged (Read 441 times)

Go Pre!

So, anyone getting flak from their loved ones as far as running marathons? (in light of Ryan Shay's passing)
    db7

My wife already thought I was crazy. We talked about it and we were both just really sad about such a tragedy. DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

Such a sad thing!! Dh is a runner, so no flak from him. He's the only opinion that matters to me! Oh and my children are very proud of me (so they say)

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

runpd

Eye Lick Two Rhune

My wife was worried when the runner died in Chicago. I know she is really worried now that an elite runner dies too. I am really going to have to prove to her that I am healthy enough to accomplish my goals.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift" -Pre

db7

I would be willing to bet there will be some info coming out that will help us understand why this happened. Elite runners don't just fall out for no good reason. As far as the Chicago runner, I haven't heard anything about the reasoning but many, many people run marathons in just as much or more heat. I know this is not always enough to convince our spouses, but we can help educate them in these circumstances. DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

The Chicago runner that died due to mitral valve prolapse http://sports.yahoo.com/sa/news?slug=ap-chicagomarathon-runnerdies&prov=ap&type=lgns

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

db7

The Chicago runner that died due to mitral valve prolapse http://sports.yahoo.com/sa/news?slug=ap-chicagomarathon-runnerdies&prov=ap&type=lgns
                That probably caused an abnormal heart rhythm. His condition could have been diagnosed with a regular check up. Sometimes it is missed if the symptoms are minor. DB

Go Pre!

Just heard today. Ryan Shay was running with a known issue of enlarged heart or similar. MTA: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071104/SPORTS18/711040741/1001

Go Pre!

My family fully supports me as well and I am scheduling a full checkup soon and at least once a year. I know people who have died in car accidents - but I drive every day noneltheless. We must live our lives to the fullest and continue to go with the odds. I wish us all well!
                    db7

My family fully supports me as well and I am scheduling a full checkup soon and at least once a year. I know people who have died in car accidents - but I drive every day noneltheless. We must live our lives to the fullest and continue to go with the odds. I wish us all well!
                      Part of my job is flying in a helicopter. I feel it is consistantly more safe than driving from Ft Collins to Denver on I-25. DB

Go Pre!

I agree. I live in fear every day...of the Toronto city driving!
                        runpd

Eye Lick Two Rhune

Is there not a certain amount of risk in anything that we do? Should I be a hermit and not leave the cave? We have to take some sort of risk everyday, stepping out of bed is usually the first. But for most of us the risks we take are calculated and thought through before we do them. My wife says "if you die running a marathon she will put on my headstone "I told you so"." I know it might sound sadistic but it was said in good humor.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift" -Pre

db7

My wife says "if you die running a marathon she will put on my headstone "I told you so"." I know it might sound sadistic but it was said in good humor. Thats awsome. DB

NOpe, no backlash here. But I think my families knows better. Wink I've already told dh that if I drop dead on a run, that's the way I wanted to go. We all meet our Maker one day, I'm not worried about the day but I 'd rather be running when it's time. Tongue

Jennifer mm#1231

Go Pre!

We all seem to be on the same page. That said, I do plan to be thorough and consistent with health checkups. After all, I have a familial responsibility Smile MTA: I am running tonight. First since resting my knee after the Columbus Marathon 16 days ago! Wish me luck!!!