Marathon Training and Discussions

Who's Marathoning Next Year?? (Read 815 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

My schedule is pretty tentative but... Dubai (Jan), if I can set up the trip. That should be interesting. Jacksonville Marathon for Breast Cancer (Feb) Grandma's and hopefully Deadwood in June El Scorcho (I hope) NYC (I hope) I'd like to bag a few more states but haven't decided which ones yet. ...plus I'd like to do more trail runs, possibly a 50-miler. Antelope Island in March sounds intriguing.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I have two half-marathons scheduled; one in June in Kansas City and one in August in Wisconsin. Both of which are preparing me for the Marine Corps Marathon in October. Good luck to everyone in their training. Hopefully we'll all get to the starting line injury-free.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Hawk, How was the Wild West? Heard a lot of good things. Think I have put together an ultra team. Should be good if the weather cooperates. DB
        The Wild West was a lot of fun, looking back on it of course. We had a mixed ultra team. But if you’re looking to get a lot of sleep, well then the 12 person team is the one you want! Our team was very enthusiastic; as soon as our runner took off on their leg we would go to their half-way point to cheer them on and see if anything was needed. Then on to the next exchange. Once there the next runner would be in and out of the van getting ready, so not much sleep for anyone involved. Once that person took off the runner who had just finished had to stretch, get something to eat and put on warm clothes, then we were off to cheer on our runner. Maybe we did it wrong in the cheering part, but I can tell you that being out in the dark at 1 or 2 in the morning with nobody else around gets a bit lonely...so to come up on your van with your teammates out cheering you on, knowing how tired they are too, just gives you a boost. We were all friends to begin with but after that race the friendship has strengthened beyond belief. Afterwards we all voted that it was the hardest thing we had done to that point and decided we would never do it again. Last month I received an email from the team asking if anyone wanted to give the relay another shot! My wife and I mentioned that maybe we should take a break form the relay and maybe try to get into the Pike’s Peak Marathon, so far three of our six have said yes. Good luck and I look forward to hearing your experiences. One other thing…we found that after our third leg Lipton Instant Cup of Soup (chicken noodle for us) was the best food in the world!!!!!!!!! I have a Jet Boil used for camping that we took along.
        "It is very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runner. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants to quit." George Sheehan
        db7

Thanks for the advice. It's fun to see how excited everyone is already even though they know how hard it will be. I can see how the bond can be so strong. It will be a lot of fun just planning and also training together from time to time. DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

Registered for ING Atlanta on March 30, 2008. I will run at least one more in the Autumn; Rhode Island Breakers if nothing else as RI is the closest state that I haven't run one in yet. Ideally, I'd like to do another ultramarathon next year too, but not sure what yet. I'll have a better idea in mid/late December.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Regina

Me, too!! In spring and autumn, I hope ... But I don't know yet where i will race.
                St. Louis Marathon in April. It'll be my first, so I have to make sure I don't die before I sign up for another one. Sara
                  I´ve registered for the Stockholm marathon at the of may. Might run a warm up local marathon 6 weeks before. Then planning on visiting relatives and family friends in Germany, whilst there hopefully running the Osnabruck marathon.
                  t_runner

Miami, January 27th. Smile
                    I might do Miami also! Cool My company has an office in Davie, and I might get to go there on business the week of the 28th. I would just have to fly down a couple days early, and get some nice warm weather running in! Ah, I can just picture, running in a tank and shorts... I want them to finalize the trip details, so I know whether I can sign up or not (is there a chance it will fill up at all?)
                      I might do Miami also! Cool My company has an office in Davie, and I might get to go there on business the week of the 28th. I would just have to fly down a couple days early, and get some nice warm weather running in! Ah, I can just picture, running in a tank and shorts... I want them to finalize the trip details, so I know whether I can sign up or not (is there a chance it will fill up at all?)
                      Awesome!! If you run it, we should try to meet up. I don't think it'll fill up, the web page says 15,000 is the limit but you can still register at the Expo. If I hear anything about it getting close to full I'll let you know. The course is really cool, it runs through South Beach, Downtown and Coconut Grove, which is a cute and well-shaded neighborhood (should be nice as it warms up later in the morning).

Imminent Catastrophe

I´ve registered for the Stockholm marathon at the of may. ...
                        I am so jealous. I haven't run the Marathon, but I did run the Midnatsloppet (Midnight Run) 10k in Stockholm a few years ago and it was sooooo great. It was late at night, not midnight as the name suggests, but 10pm or so, and we ran through the streets which were lined 5-deep with cheering, chanting, clapping spectators, even little kids were out there, the enthusiasm and energy were unbelievable. I couldn't understand what they were shouting because I don't speak Swedish, but it didn't matter. It remains one of my very best race memories and I still treasure the T-shirt. You WILL enjoy this race.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

t_runner

Awesome!! If you run it, we should try to meet up. I don't think it'll fill up, the web page says 15,000 is the limit but you can still register at the Expo. If I hear anything about it getting close to full I'll let you know. The course is really cool, it runs through South Beach, Downtown and Coconut Grove, which is a cute and well-shaded neighborhood (should be nice as it warms up later in the morning).
                          Thanks! I will let you know! I am already sick of running in snow... But I am also getting used to 20-30 F temps, so Miami could be a shock to my system. But well worth it! I am throwing in a run or two on a treadmill each week (yuck) but at least it keeps me used to running in warmer temps, in the hopes that I make it down there.
                          jpnairn

straw man

Rock 'N' Roll Arizona, 1/13/08 Maybe Diamond Valley Lake, 1/19/08 Carlsbad, 1/20/08 Sedona, 2/9/08 Spring and summer marathons are all just possibilities right now. I'm not scheduling that far ahead. MM #361

He who has the best time wins. Jerry

Dave

I will. Just haven't decided which yet. Will do the National Half Marathon in March. Might have done a whole but I've got a family ski trip planned the week before and I'm not sure what that will do for my taper. USMC in October is looking very likely. It is crowded but the crowd support is awesome.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Will run Boston then pace a 3:20 group two weeks later and then NYC in the fall.