Marathon Training and Discussions

Who's Marathoning Next Year?? (Read 815 times)

King of Sparta

Will run Boston then pace a 3:20 group two weeks later and then NYC in the fall.
    I'm doing Boston as well. Two weeks later, I aim to be going down stairs forwards again! I'm toying with the idea of Berlin in September, but that depends on my time in Boston.
    2008 Goals:
    - Sub 1:00 10 mile
    - Sub 3:00 marathon
      I'm in. Boston in the Spring (looking to BQ again with 3:35) Not sure where in the Fall (want to PR with under 3:30)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

I'm signed up for the Long Branch, NJ one in May. I want to run the Monkey in November. If Pam runs Lehigh, I'll do that one too. Smile

Michelle

I'm signed up for the Long Branch, NJ one in May. I want to run the Monkey in November. If Pam runs Lehigh, I'll do that one too. Smile
          Does anyone else remember a statement contradictory to this a few months ago? WinkTongue
            Does anyone else remember a statement contradictory to this a few months ago? WinkTongue
            Shhhhh. Lets pretend I never ever said those things. Blush I can't stop now, I want to BQ someday. Big grin Just don't tell my husband.

Michelle

I can't stop now, I want to BQ someday. Big grin
              You'll get it. This stuff is addicting, isn't it? Finishing my 20 miler this morning I was really discouraged and feeling like I can't do it. I told my husband that after the marathon I'm sticking to 1/2 's from now on. And yet as rough as the last miles were, somehow I'm looking forward to my next 20 miler and I have a feeling that I'll be marathoning again after January. Blush
                You'll get it. This stuff is addicting, isn't it? Finishing my 20 miler this morning I was really discouraged and feeling like I can't do it. I told my husband that after the marathon I'm sticking to 1/2 's from now on. And yet as rough as the last miles were, somehow I'm looking forward to my next 20 miler and I have a feeling that I'll be marathoning again after January. Blush
                It would be awesome if I do - but I'm not betting on it. Yes, it's very addicting. Big grin Running is my drug. I saw that you had some rough moments during your run today. Not every long run is the same and I bet the next one will feel way different. I have only done the one 20 miler with Pam, and then the one marathon. I'm slowly working my way back up to long miles again. Hoping to do so with a faster pace. Today's 9 miler felt good but I had side stitches near the end - how did you cope with yours? Mine go away if I basically just dig my fingers into the side that hurts. Not sure why that helps, but it does. Not sure if I should be digging into my side like that, but until someone tells me otherwise...it works for me. When I finished the marathon I told my husband that I would never need to do a marathon again. But then, I got to thinking...and it bothered me too much to let my one and only time remain my "PR"...since I wasn't happy with it. I stuck to my thoughts for a few weeks, I think. Then I gave in to peer pressure and signed up for another one. I do like the 1/2 a lot though. I can see me trying hard to reach some outrageous goal with that in the future.

Michelle

Thanks Michelle. My 16 miler was awesome, 18 was really rough and today was hard but not as bad as 18. I'm glad I picked a schedule with 2 20's so that maybe I can have a better one and build up my confidence before the race. I'd love to go sub-4:30 but I have a feeling it's going to be more like sub-5:00. If that's the case I'll HAVE to do another one to improve the PR Wink The side stichs have been a pain (pun!) for me since August. I'd say I get them on half of my runs. If anything they're more frequent for me on runs that I go extra-slow (maybe cause I'm bouncing more?) I do the same thing as you, run with my hand pressed into my side. It helps most of the time, but every now and then I have to walk because it is just too painful. I asked around about it awhile ago, here's a link to some adivce Mikey gave me. I 'm guessing mine just haven't had a chance to heal yet? If I feel them coming on near the end of a run, I'll take it easy to try to not aggrevate them, but if they're there from the start (starts usually about 5-10 minutes in), then I run through them the best I can. It's really frusterating to keep having them, but I haven't really been able to take time off and let them heal with the marathon training. I'm going to cut my mileage and run easy this week mand see if they improve. If anyone else has any tips, I'd love to hear them.
                    Oklahoma City Marathon in April. Pikes Peak (?) in August. Shocked Maybe the Wild West Relay, but DW thinks we should skip this year and go again in ’09. Undecided
                    Hawk....I plan to do the OKC marathon in April also. It'll be my first M. I trained for it last year but was unable to run it...DNS.
                    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                      Nacht van West-Vlaanderen (Belgium) 20th June Big grin

Targets 1) No injuries 2) Keep having fun 3) Some kind of PR

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I'm trying to run 12 marathons in 12 months. My first ever was NYC 2007 and ran Vegas in Dec. Torn between this and trying to really focus on one or two. Thing is I like the challenge of running the marathon and My best time is 3:46. I need to drop 30 mins to BQ - not sure if I can get there by this means but we will see. Will be at the PHX RnR next.

• Black Canyon 100k
                        • RRR
                        • Zane Grey 100k
                        • High Lonesome 100
                        • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                        • The Bear 100
                        • Javelina Jundred (?)
                          Martian Marathon Detroit April San Antonio Rock n Roll Inaugural November Will also do the Indy Mini Marathon in May and tempted to try the Hana Relay in September. Need to increase my beer training first, though.

...---...

I've set a target for San Francisco on August 3. Reasons? Love the city, training plan length puts me about right with that date, love the city, get to make a mini vacation out of it, love the city, impatient to wait until one in the fall (not ready for anything sooner), love the city, want to run over that bridge, my pesimistic brother-in-law said I couldn't finish a marathon (he's never run one). What can I say, it's my goal to finish that marathon. That will be a tough time to be getting ready for a marathon. My wife and I have learned we'll be moving to Houston this summer (work move). If the Texas heat keeps me from putting in and finishing the preparation I need, I'll probably just wait and try one later. But if I can do SF in August, and feel good enough about it to do another, the Houston Marathon in January would be a perfect localtion. Anyone else for SF in August? or someone who has done this one before? ...Would be great to have someone to talk to about this particular event.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Pammie

Running London 13th April 3rd year i've entered the ballot and got in for the 1st time in those years. My 2nd Marathon though. Its not too far to travel though
                                Eugene in May and Tri-Cities in October

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn