Marathon Training and Discussions

Who's Marathoning Next Year?? (Read 815 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

Anyone else for SF in August? or someone who has done this one before? ...Would be great to have someone to talk to about this particular event.
    I did SF in 2005, it was my first and still a favorite. Great expo, beautiful course (tough in places) along The Embarcadero, up the hill and across the GGB, thru Russian Hill and GG Park (look for the Bison), Haight-Ashbury, finish by the Bay. What a great excuse for a visit to SF! In 2005 they had problems with a lack of food after the race but I think they have that fixed now. It's a beautiful running tour of the city, with the run across the GG bridge being the highlight. Some people were whining that it was foggy. Well, duh, it's SAN FRANCISCO! I though it was really cool, running over the bridge in the fog with the foghorn sounding. The first half is hard, lots of uphill (especially mile 5 climbing up to the bridge), but once you get through GG Park (mile 18 IIRC) it's all downhill. The 5:30 start Dead means you can still get back to your room and shower before check-out, if you need to leave the same day. You won't regret running SF.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Imminent Catastrophe

... Finishing my 20 miler this morning I was really discouraged and feeling like I can't do it...
      That grueling 20-miler is almost mandatory, I don't know anyone who hasn't had a really tough, discouraging long run. A big part of the 20-miler is mental--it trains you to HTFU! What a big leap it is from 18 to 20, eh?

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Carlsbad 2008. Our 21 miler was scheduled for 12/29--but I missed it due to a lower back pull/strain Christmas Eve. Spent the rest of the week with a heating pad on my back. I was really looking forward to that 21, but didn't want to hose up my back and miss the marathon. I had done the 16 and 18 miles in our training plan, so even though I missed the 21 miles, figure/hope I'll be okay. I've run this marathon course before, so I "know it". We'll see how it turns out.
        Dorsey

San Diego 1997: 4:59:59, San Diego 1999: 4:37:23, Carlsbad 2008: 6:32:21, America's Finest City Half Aug 2008: ??

"Run if you can. Walk if you must. Crawl if you have to. Just don't give up."

...---...

I did SF in 2005, it was my first and still a favorite. Great expo, beautiful course (tough in places) along The Embarcadero, up the hill and across the GGB, thru Russian Hill and GG Park (look for the Bison), Haight-Ashbury, finish by the Bay. What a great excuse for a visit to SF! In 2005 they had problems with a lack of food after the race but I think they have that fixed now. It's a beautiful running tour of the city, with the run across the GG bridge being the highlight. Some people were whining that it was foggy. Well, duh, it's SAN FRANCISCO! I though it was really cool, running over the bridge in the fog with the foghorn sounding. The first half is hard, lots of uphill (especially mile 5 climbing up to the bridge), but once you get through GG Park (mile 18 IIRC) it's all downhill. The 5:30 start Dead means you can still get back to your room and shower before check-out, if you need to leave the same day. You won't regret running SF.
          Man, you've got me all fired up about this race. Thanks for the tips on the course. I knew when thinking about it that there would be hills. I think I can handle them now but I know once I get there...anyway, hope to keep the can do attitude but reall appreciate hearing the tough ones. I downloaded an elevation chart and will try to find areas here in our foothills to emulate that in my training. Why don't you just go sign up and race it too - I'll buy you an Irish coffee at The Buena Vista after I cross the finish line.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

December is a long ways from now, but I'm hoping to make it to the starting line for Cal International (CIM) when it comes. SF is a great fit schedule wise, and has a better chance of good weather. However, I don't think I'd have a chance a meeting my time goals on that course. Although it is not brutal, it definitely is not a fast one--more on the tough side. Anything that goes back and forth over the GG Bridge can't be easy. If finishing is all that matters it's a good choice though. Runner67 You're going to hate me when I say this, but I would recommend putting off marathons until you can run more than 1250 miles a year. If you build your mileage gradually you won't be sorry, and will enjoy entering races a lot more. I know that people do it all the time, but that doesn't mean it's the best thing to do. Just my 2 cents.
            Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

...---...

You're going to hate me when I say this, but I would recommend putting off marathons until you can run more than 1250 miles a year. If you build your mileage gradually you won't be sorry, and will enjoy entering races a lot more. I know that people do it all the time, but that doesn't mean it's the best thing to do. Just my 2 cents.
              Of course I don't hate you for saying that. I know that your advice is said through your experience, which is considerably more extensive than mine right now.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

Why don't you just go sign up and race it too - I'll buy you an Irish coffee at The Buena Vista after I cross the finish line.
                It's a deal. Funny, after writing that brief race report I was just saying to DW how we should do it again this year, because we liked it so much. We'll see.

My schedule is pretty tentative but... Dubai (Jan), if I can set up the trip. That should be interesting.
                  Perf, are you doing Dubai? That would be so awsome. My law firm has an office there and I've been begging them to send me over there to work. I'd love to see the city.

Imminent Catastrophe

Perf, are you doing Dubai? ...
                    Sara, I think so. I've had a chronic problem with my foot that might be a problem, so I'm waiting until the last minute to register. It will be my first time there. It's the richest marathon ever, so all the world's elites will be running, including Haile Gebrselassie and Lornah Kiplagat, both world-record holders in the marathon (I think Kiplagat's female record has since been surpassed) and there's a MILLION DOLLAR reward for breaking the world record time, so it should be quite an exciting atmosphere. Hard to resist. I just hope that someone sticks around for 2 or 3 hours more to give us slowpokes some water. It will all be in my race report, if I run it. BTW How is Anna doing?

That's so exciting! I really hope you get to do it...and I'm totally jealous. Anna's doing great! She's signed up to the do the Youth Run the day before I run the marathon in St. Louis in April. And we may do a Snowflake Run together in February in my hometown. She still shows her medal to everyone! It's so cute. And she got her own digital camera for Christmas, so my mom sends me a hundred pictures a day that she takes of everything from baby dolls to chicken nuggets! And she recently found a sliver of a piece of soap and carries it around in her pocket and lovingly calls it Soapy. Kids are so funny.
                        I am doing Rotorua in May. Tough guy and gal challenge (10K off road) in August. Maybe a half? There is a half that goes through hard ass mountains in December but I don't know if I would be ready for it... My focus will switch to a 160k bike road after August. But Rotorua is my focus this year with a BP please!
                        free happiness with every moment!

...---...

It's a deal. Funny, after writing that brief race report I was just saying to DW how we should do it again this year, because we liked it so much. We'll see.
                          I'll buy DW an Irish coffee too.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

I'm looking forward to running Miami in about three weeks. My training hasn't been bad, but it hasn't been good either. I'm shooting for a sub 3:20, which would be a nice PR but higher than what I would have wanted if my training had been more consistent. I hope to also run a spring marathon and Philly (hometown) in the fall. My goal is to run Philly in sub 3:10.
                              I'm planning to run the ING Georgia Marathon (March 30, I think), and then another one in the fall - haven't decided which! I hope to qualify for Boston in the Georgia Marathon - which means I need to run it in 3:30 or less. I ran the inaugural half marathon last year and really enjoyed it. The marathoners didn't have such a good time - I gather the aid stations ran out of water and sports drinks, and the weather was unusually warm. Hopefully the race organizers will be better prepared this year!

...---...

I'm planning to run the ING Georgia Marathon (March 30, I think), and then another one in the fall - haven't decided which! I hope to qualify for Boston in the Georgia Marathon - which means I need to run it in 3:30 or less. I ran the inaugural half marathon last year and really enjoyed it. The marathoners didn't have such a good time - I gather the aid stations ran out of water and sports drinks, and the weather was unusually warm. Hopefully the race organizers will be better prepared this year!
                                http://www.runningahead.com/groups/AtlIng/ Love to have you checki in with this group from time to time.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12