Marathon Training and Discussions

Hi All (Read 405 times)

Just found this forum and thought I'd join.  I'm in Week 11 of 18 weeks of training for my first marathon (California Internation Marathon).  I'm training with a local Fleet Feet group in Sacramento and so far it's going great.  Love getting the coaching from those with knowledge and it's definitely an added benefit to run with others especially on those longer run days or speed training sessions when you need the encouragement.  This Sunday, our long run days, will start the really long runs that I've never experienced.  My current longest run is 14 miles which I ran last year when training for my first half.  Anyway, this Sunday we run 15 miles which we are suppose to do at our marathon pace based on a half marathon we ran 2 weeks ago which happens to be 8:25 min/mi for me.  Much faster than I think I can maintain for 26 miles.  This sunday's 15 miler is followed by a 17, 20, 22, and then another half before the tapering starts. 

Glad I found this forum to get some ideas and tips especially since the pains are starting to surface in the knees and feet.

Queen of 3rd Place

That's some ramp-up. Ow. Sounds like you might have a decent base...?

Ex runner

Maniac

Yeah, 14, 15, 17, 20, 22, taper seems kind of steep, but what do I know?  Like Arla said....doable with a good base I suppose.

Anyway...good luck with the marathon.  I've heard good things about the CIM.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

Our 22 miler is on November 7th (marathon Dec 5th).  The half marathon scheduled the following week after our 22 miler is actually a 16 miler.  We are running 1.5 miles before the race as a warm-up and another 1.5 miles after the race for a cool down.  The half marathon is suppose to be run at our marathon pace, which of course, is a little slower than what I'd normally run a half at.  After that half on November 14th, our next two long runs the following sunday are 14 miles (or 10-12 depending on how our body feels) and then 8-10 miles a week before the marathon.

My base is fairly good.  Prior to the start of this program at the beginning of August, I was running anywhere from 30-40 mpw with a long run of 10-13 once a week.  I've pretty much continued my normal weekday runs with the addition of speed work on Wednesdays with my group and a long run on Sundays with my group.

Hawt and sexy

Wow. I am glad I don't have that coach. I would be so dead after 15 miles at MP on only 30-40 mpw and at that point in the season Ugh. I wonder why they are doing such a long MP running this early on? Even Pfitz stops you at 8-10 miles of MP.

I'm touching your pants.

Wow. I am glad I don't have that coach. I would be so dead after 15 miles at MP on only 30-40 mpw and at that point in the season Ugh. I wonder why they are doing such a long MP running this early on? Even Pfitz stops you at 8-10 miles of MP.

Oops...I should clarify.  The 15 miler we just ran this past Sunday was a 2.5 mile warm-up, 10 miles at MP, and then a 2.5 mile cool down.  It went great.  I couldn't believe how great I felt after and the next day.  Our training group is scheduled for a half marathon in a few weeks and we are suppose to run that at MP.  Me, being scared of injury since I was out an entire month last December with a knee injury, will probably run this half at a slower pace than my MP.  Probably somewhere close to my easy/long pace.