Marathon Training and Discussions

Workout types for my second marathon (Read 22 times)

JFurniss

In January I am going to start to train for my second marathon. I am a 54 year old male that has only been running about 2 years. I did my first marathon last September and bonked really hard at about mile 18. I took my training, fueling, rest, etc very seriously and watched/read tons of stuff about my first marathon, but nothing replaces the actual experience of running it for yourself.

In training last time, I did not do any HIIT or tempo runs. I followed the Higdon Intermediate II training plan, which was probably a little too aggressive for my level. But, that being said, I logged all the miles I was supposed to and was able to complete all the long runs, including the 20 miles.

I have been studying HIIT and tempo runs, and wondered what advise you would have. Specifically, how long should each leg of my high-intensity runs be? Maybe 440 meter repeats? How many? Should I then move to 880 repeats? I saw a video that said the 20 minute tempo run is the best workout. Opinions? I plan on making each of my 5 runs per week be a specific run: a HIIT run, tempo run, long run, LSD/recovery run and a "normal" 6 to 8 miler adding up to, say 40 to 45 miles per week.

Thanks in advance ....

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I ran my first marathon at age 50 and had a similar experience.  In my second marathon, I used Higdon Intermediate II and ran better, but still slowed at the end.  In both cases, I started too fast, especially in my first race.  Could that have contributed to your results?  Having run my second marathon in 4:47, I don't think I need speed work so much as more miles and better pace discipline.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
      10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Running is Back 10k, 5/12