Marathon Maniacs

Name that combination ... (Read 440 times)

2011 Redding (CA)

Help with the names of (Marathon Maniacs) combinations ... please Double = 2 marathons in 48 hours (2 days) Triple = 3 marathons in 72 hours (3 days) Back to Back = 2 marathons in 8 days ????? = 3 marathons in 3 states in 9 days Quadzilla = ????? Any other interesting (Marathon Maniacs) names/combinations? Cool

2011 Redding Marathon (CA),  2011 Yakima Marathon (WA),  2011 Eugene Marathon (OR),  2011 Newport Marathon (OR)

2011 Pacific Crest Marathon (OR),  2011 Smith Rock Summer Classic Half (OR),  2011 Haulin' Aspen Trail Half (OR)

2011 Running is for the Birds 10Km (OR),  2011 Sunriver Marathon (OR)

xor

Help with the names of (Marathon Maniacs) combinations ... please Double = 2 marathons in 48 hours (2 days) Triple = 3 marathons in 72 hours (3 days) Back to Back = 2 marathons in 8 days ????? = 3 marathons in 3 states in 9 days Quadzilla = ????? Any other interesting (Marathon Maniacs) names/combinations? Cool
      Well, I guess "back to back" is 2 in 8 days, but we really just think of it as a marathon in two consecutive weekends. Let's say someone ran a marathon on a Saturday and then another one on the following holiday Monday. That would be 2 within 8 days, but we wouldn't call that a "back to back" usually. Quadzilla is 4 in 4 days. 3 in 3 states in 9 days doesn't have a name. Feel free to suggest! I like "Herb". Beyond double/triple/quadzilla and back-to-back, there aren't widely accepted terms. That I recall off the top of my head.

2011 Redding (CA)

Thanks srlopez. "Herb" sounds good to me. A quadzilla would be kind of tough to do without the Lake Tahoe Triple. But on the other hand, they are all kind of tough. Much success on Haulin' Aspen Trail this weekend. Cool

2011 Redding Marathon (CA),  2011 Yakima Marathon (WA),  2011 Eugene Marathon (OR),  2011 Newport Marathon (OR)

2011 Pacific Crest Marathon (OR),  2011 Smith Rock Summer Classic Half (OR),  2011 Haulin' Aspen Trail Half (OR)

xor

Thanks srlopez. "Herb" sounds good to me. A quadzilla would be kind of tough to do without the Lake Tahoe Triple. But on the other hand, they are all kind of tough. Much success on Haulin' Aspen Trail this weekend. Cool
          There will be an opportunity for a quadzilla on thanksgiving weekend, but it will require travel. The Atlanta Marathon is on Thanksgiving Day. There will be a (currently unnamed and not exactly but sort of announced) race in the Seattle area on Friday. The Ghost of Seattle Marathon on Saturday. The Seattle Marathon on Sunday. Yup, kinda tough... but even with the Tahoe Triple, one had to travel for the fourth race... so kinda similar. There was another set of quadzilla options recently at the end of July, but the travel required was almost impossible for anyone not named Larry Macon.

jpnairn

straw man

I think you have nine days to complete a back to back. Whenever the Criteria talks of two weeks, it is clarified as being within 9 days. Think of 2 days on each weekend plus 5 weekdays. Nine days. There was a recent discussion of what to call two on one day. I don't think there is a consensus yet.

He who has the best time wins. Jerry

2011 Redding (CA)

srlopez ... please add this "sort of announced" race to the Maniacs calendar when ready. I just might try the Ghost/Seattle double (depending on training) Good memory jpnairn. One link to that discussion was "Querstions for the CREATIVE ones" (exact spelling). Lots of interesting suggestions. Using a standard 9 days would make sense ... like 3 marathons in 3 states in 9 days. Sorry ... I'll never be ready for 2 in a single day (body is to old). Cool

xor

I think you have nine days to complete a back to back. Whenever the Criteria talks of two weeks, it is clarified as being within 9 days. Think of 2 days on each weekend plus 5 weekdays. Nine days. There was a recent discussion of what to call two on one day. I don't think there is a consensus yet.
                ...all of which is fine, but the point is, when someone says "back to back", all they are really meaning by that is a marathon on each of two consecutive weekends. Yes, this includes holidays etc. But the term wasn't meant to be fully descriptive, nor is it part of the rules for what counts. The definition really only comes up when someone uses "back to back" as a synonym for "double". As for other terms including two in one day, there is no committee working on any of them. Feel free to call them what you like. Over time, perhaps there will be a specific term.