Marathon Maniacs

Proposed changes to Maniac race criteria (Read 355 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

Posted on the Maniac board by the Prez:

In light of the number of runs that are making it on the Maniac Race Calendar that the MM founders (+2) feel are not really races but just “glorified training runs” just to pad your stats, we are proposing changes to the FAQ Criteria for counting races. Some are big changes, which are addressed below:
    *Marathons: minimum 25 starters, 20 finishers
    *Ultras: minimum 15 starters, 10 finishers
    ***though you can still e-mail the MM Board of Directors and ask for a ruling as some long standing events may not have the minimum numbers in some years. 

*All races must have an entry fee or donation bucket, finisher medal or finisher awards
    *No “Fat-Ass, Big Butt or treadmill type runs will count
    * All marathons must also be on marathonguide.com in order to count
    *Should all marathons that count be certified? 

And should we do away with Maniac of the Year Awards as maybe that’s part of the problem with the proliferation in the number of events? Whatever happened to travelling” to a race?

Like an Environmental Impact Statement, this is the FAQ Criteria comment period, so let’s hear what you think of the proposed changes. We would like to have these changes put in effect within 3 months.   

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Looks like they rescinded.  I responded, against MG and certification.  The others are fine.  The dude in Boone with the race a month seems to have taken offense and quit MM.

Imminent Catastrophe

Yeah, it took me awhile to get down to Prez' reply. That's a long thread. Here's my input FWIW:

It seems the Prez has rescinded the proposal to change the criteria but it's still a good discussion, so here's my dribble:

Well, I wasn't aware that there was a problem but I can certainly agree with the need to QA which races will count. However, some of the proposed changes are very troubling and would invalidate some nice small races.

Certification--why? Some very good races are not certified, it's a added hassle that a RD might not want to deal with. Hatfield/McCoy and Flying Monkey come to mind.

Marathonguide?--No. The Maniac Calendar is fine (better than Marathonguide IMO), no reason to get a possibly biased third party involved (same goes for USATF certification).

Fat Ass--why? Our local one (I didn't run it) had 65 finishers, food, medals, and was free for GUTS members (does that count as an entry fee?). I love these types of events and would hate to see them disallowed. If interested you can read a nice RR here:

http://seedadrunrundadrun.blogspot.com/2009/01/atlanta-fa-50k-2009.html

There's no way you can say that's not a "real" race.

Minimum number of runners? Maybe, but 25 seems high. My WA race, the late, great Dog Days Marathon organized by Maniac Cartwheels, for the benefit of the Whatcom County Humane Society, would be disallowed as it had 17 finishers, but was certainly more than a training run. How about 10? That would probably eliminate the "training runs" without impacting legitimate small races. BTW it wasn't certified either. 

I know there was some discussion about counting Gary Allen's New Years' Day Boston run, but that was mostly TIC.

Treadmill runs should not count. That's just wrong.

I do feel that one criterion needs to be loosened: What counts as a different state/province in the USA and Canada should count in other countries as well. Traveling across Brazil or India certainly involves more travel than Seattle to Portland. This seems kind of North American-biased for a truly international club. Recife to Sao Paulo: 1300 miles. Delhi to Mumbai: 1400 miles. 

MOY--This isn't on my radar so I really don't care.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

Looks like they rescinded.  I responded, against MG and certification.  The others are fine.  The dude in Boone with the race a month seems to have taken offense and quit MM.

He not only quit, but he posted stuff in his blog that was sorta over-the-top.  Anyway, if he wants back in, he'll be re-activated.

Even if "something" had made it from the list, I'm 99.99% sure that certification and marathonguide would not have been part of the final.

As for MoY, I found some of the responses out there to be, well, interesting. Especially those by a certain someone.  Anyway, I came in 2nd in 2007.  Wooooo. I'm for abolishing this award, but I think that of our 2100+ members, 2000+ don't care either way.

That's an interesting point here, btw.  Whether the number is 5/3, 25/20, or 15/10 (a popular suggestion), I really think that a huge portion of our membership really wouldn't care and it doesn't affect them.  More than MoY, of course, but not a whole lot more.  People don't like change, especially restrictive change.  I thought 25/20 was a teensy bit too high, but I didn't think it was a Death Blow or anything.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I think the number of entrants/finishers is what appeared more than anything to target Boone and other small startups (Kroger Monkey, anyone).  I can certainly see the point of doing that, but it is hard to collect marathons when you live in certain parts of the country and have family/kids/job that make it hard to travel.  I guess the fundamental question is this: why does that matter to a club with criteria?
            xor

Apparently it doesn't, as it was all rescinded.

It's just running. 

...---...

Trent - great point, one that I would have made, regarding our area of the country...especially over here in South Carolina. It's tough to find 3 in 3 marathons without getting on a plane or driving several hours one way - perhaps evidence of the 15 members from my state.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

evanflein

I can see their point that it seems a little crazy how fast the numbers have grown, and there are some who are doing whatever they can to rack up stars (treadmill runs? oh please...). I do think a lot of "glorified training runs" have been called "marathons" when they shouldn't have been. But requiring courses to be certified is just not right. The Equinox is not a certified course, but I challenge anyone to say it's not a 'real' marathon. Glad to see the original proposal has been rescinded, but I agree that some standards should be tightened up.

(has someone really counted a treadmill run??)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Marathon Junkie ran a treadmill marathon in his 52/52 year.  But he ran it fast.

For those living outside the PNW, it is hard to rack up loads of marathons unless you have lots of time and money for travel.  Of course, my solution was to create another full-fledged (although uncertified) marathon in my town.