Marathon Maniacs

Maffetone Methods (Read 392 times)

2011 Redding (CA)

I know another RunningAHEAD User Group (Low HR Training) discusses this topic on a regular basis ... but ... are there any MANIACS currently following the low HR methods of Philip Maffetone and his disciple Stu Mittleman? Or maybe some of you have tried these methods in the past and stopped? Love to hear your opinions?

2011 Redding Marathon (CA),  2011 Yakima Marathon (WA),  2011 Eugene Marathon (OR),  2011 Newport Marathon (OR)

2011 Pacific Crest Marathon (OR),  2011 Smith Rock Summer Classic Half (OR),  2011 Haulin' Aspen Trail Half (OR)

2011 Running is for the Birds 10Km (OR),  2011 Sunriver Marathon (OR)

xor

Not me, but yes... over on the old coolrunning site, there was a long (and long standing) thread about Maffetone and Low HR training that was managed by a guy named Jesse Leitner. He's a Maniac. Check the insane asylum to see how it served him (short answer: very well). I don't think Uncle Jesse posts here. And, of course, coolrunning kind of imploded when Active took over. You might check kickrunners.com and see if he's posting over there. He usually goes by "leitnerj". Super nice guy.

Imminent Catastrophe

I've used it for basebuilding after injury/time off and it works pretty well for that. But once I started racing again I found that training slow = racing slow and started doing tempo work. Jleitner seems to have done pretty well on just LHR training, though.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Go Pre!

I am just doing base building and low HR runs during Dec-Jan and plan on getting back into harfdder runs at the end of december. I am really worried that I will have slowed down from all of the easy running. I want to BQ in May which will require me to run 15 minutes faster than ever but I plan to work hard in the new year.

2011 Redding (CA)

Thanks everyone. Jesse Leitner is a LARGE contributor on RunningAhead (Low HR Training User Group). He goes by "formationflier" and seems like a very nice person. Didn't know he was a MANIAC. Thanks (srlopez) for the heads up and other references.

2011 Redding Marathon (CA),  2011 Yakima Marathon (WA),  2011 Eugene Marathon (OR),  2011 Newport Marathon (OR)

2011 Pacific Crest Marathon (OR),  2011 Smith Rock Summer Classic Half (OR),  2011 Haulin' Aspen Trail Half (OR)

2011 Running is for the Birds 10Km (OR),  2011 Sunriver Marathon (OR)