Maine Runnah Group

Hi there! (Read 195 times)

Hi guys, I hope it's ok if I jump in here.  I'm one of the RWOL transplants and am excited to see that there are some Maine runners on RA.  : )

By way of intro- I started running just over a year ago (after a couple of false starts over the past couple of years).  My sister invited me to train for the Race the Runway HM with her and it was the challenge I needed to get me going.  I had a blast running that and kept up with the running.  I'm currently running about 35 mpw and am going to try to build that up a bit more over the winter.  I'm married and have 7 kids; we live in Auburn.

I skimmed through some of the more recent threads and it was fun to see that I've been at some of the recent races that were mentioned.  The Pineland Barefoot 5k was my first 5k (of this running lifetime) and I blew up completely.  Also ran the three Triple Crown 5k's here in Lewiston/Auburn this year.  I was at the Bands on the Run HM/5k, but just as a spectator- went to cheer on my friend (who won the HM) and my sister (who won her AG in the 5k).

Anyway, enough about me!  : )  Hope to get to know you guys, it would be fun to connect with some runners nearby.  : ) 

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau

No Talent Drips

Hey Kristin...welcome. This group is pretty quiet (big State, low pop. density?) (bunch of shut-ins who think the computer is dark magic?) ...but welcome.

Live in Ellsworth with my kiddo (3yrs old). Try and do most of my running in Acadia, NP...some really talented runners around here and a couple of very active running clubs (Crow & Sub 5).

7 kids!! A PR I will never come close to!

Enjoy the site. It is a good place. 

Dei Gratia

an amazing likeness

Welcome to RunningAhead, Kristin. 

There are actually quite a few Maine-based runners here on RA. Some are active in the forums, others log their miles and focus in a few groups. Not all are active in this group. There's a group of Mainers from the Sanford / Springvale area who have another training group (Circle North), many of them are in this group as well.

For whatever reason, as your probably noticed, this group is pretty quiet lately.

Usually, heading into Dec/Jan/Feb, I'm giving up weekly miles to the weather and fade down to 35-40mpw, so all props to you for setting out to increase yours over the winter, especially with 7 kids!

Heck of a wind at Race-the-Runways this year, no?  I heard a lot of people liked the course at Bands on the Run, but I'm not one of them -- I'd rate it as the worst of the 14 half marathons I've run this year -- but I did see parts of L/A that I didn't know existed.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Hi, Kristin!  I live in North Yarmouth, not too far from you!  I have three kids, ages 14 to 20.  The older two have mental illnesses, so life is tough right now.  Running keeps ME sane!  I haven't been logging lately - I need to start doing that again. I've registered for a half marathon in St. Louis in April - I'm meeting up with about 15 other women from this website!  We got together in December, 2010 to run a race in Las Vegas.  It's a great bunch of gals.  If you're interested, you can join our women's user group (it's by invitation only, so we can share safely - just a wonderful place).

Great work, running with that many kids!!

Thanks very much for the welcome, guys!  : )

Nemo, that's awesome that you have some running clubs nearby!  I'd love to get involved with a group but haven't been able to connect with the one group that is nearby.  They do a track workout once a week; unfortunately, it's the one night a week I can't do.  And yes, 7 kids!  Not a lot of people beat that these days! lol

MilkTruck, Oh, my word, that wind!  It was wretched.  Fortunately for me, my cousin was running it too, and he was nice enough to let me duck in behind him for a while during the last couple of miles.  That last mile, it just seemed like the finish line was getting further and further away...  

And according to my friend that ran it, the Bands on the Run course was "the worse course ever".  Yikes.  I'd still kind of like to run it, just for the fun of running around my town with a bunch of other runners, but I'll keep my expectations low.  I'm curious-  what did you think of the female/male wave system they used? 

And we'll see how things go with upping the mileage.  I've worked at gradually increasing it all year, but had to take 6 weeks off of running in Sept and into Oct, so I've just now been able to get my mileage back up where it was in August.  I am antsy to get my mileage up!

Teresadfp, I hear you on running for sanity!  That time first thing in the morning is my one chance of the day to clear my head and spend some time with my thoughts.  Mama needs it!!  And how awesome that you get to get away for a race in April with friends!  I am really hoping to get to a HM in Mass. in March to meet up with some friends from RW- we call it an "FE", for "forum encounter".  : )  It's nice to have something like that to look forward to.  And I'd love to join you in the women's user group!  I'm still figuring this place out, would you mind posting the link? 

Thanks again, guys, it's really great to meet you all!  : )  

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau

an amazing likeness

And according to my friend that ran it, the Bands on the Run course was "the worse course ever".  Yikes.  I'd still kind of like to run it, just for the fun of running around my town with a bunch of other runners, but I'll keep my expectations low.  

I'm curious-  what did you think of the female/male wave system they used?  

Kristin -- I didn't give much attention to the waves leading into the BOTR. But during the race it proved to be a problem, to my opinion. With all the single-track sections, those from the second wave were trapped behind the slower runners in the first wave.  The faster front of the second wave caught the slower back of the first wave at places on the course where it was a problem. Cost me a good chunk of time in the 8 to 10mi section. (but truthfully, it was a crummy day for me regardless)

Here's a link to my write-up on the race in my log.

The same RD (Eric) used the wave gimmick again at the Old Port Half, but there the middle of wave 2 caught the bulk of wave 1 on Rt 88 in Falmouth and had plenty of room.  It was the BOTR course that made the waves not work well.

On the other hand, the BOTR finish area in that little park (Railroad Park?) was excellent.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Heh.  That's what I thought.  I thought the waves combined with the course would be a problem for the 2nd wave and, since they asked for feedback and I'm a Nosy Rosy, I offered it.  They stuck with their plan, obviously, but asked me to join the race committee.  Ha!  That's what I get for offering input, lol. 

Sounds like a not fun course, at least if you're actually trying for a good time.  And man, one volunteer for a water station?  Bummer.  Hope they get that wrinkle ironed out for next time.  Railroad Park (where the finish was) was a good spot to be a spectator, since the runners went by early on as well as finishing there.  Our kids made signs for our friend and they had fun cheering, especially since a guy came by and gave them all clappers, lol.

Welcome to RA, Kristin!

My aunt has 7 boys, all single births.  I could never do that...I'm happy with my single six month old right now!  (Hence the main reason I haven't been too active this year, both in the forums and running.)

I did the triple crown one of the first years they had it as a series and it was fun,but haven't had it in  my schedule to get back for them since breaking my foot in Emily's Run a few years ago. Maybe this summer...

Most of my racing is on the trails, there are a lot of good ones around here, including Pineland Farms, Bradbury Mountain and Thorncrag.

Run to Win
                  25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Home Away From Home

Welcome, I am a runner from Sanford, run with a group of about 20+ here in the southern maine area.  I only have the four legged kids but we have 3 of them.  Working on building outside of Rumford in the near future so will probably see you at some races. 

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

Hi, I'm Dana.  I also live in Auburn.

Have you heard that the Maine Track Club has a Tuesday night track workout at ELHS from April-October?  It's a good group, I've been going there for years.

PR Racing also has one in Lewiston at Bates on Tuesday night.  That's a good group as well.

I'll probably run into you at some point, being from the same town.  Say hi if you see me!

Blaine- Ohhh, yeah, a broken foot would probably turn me off of a race, as well.  Will you be running at Pineland this spring?  I ran the barefoot 5k there last year and had fun, not sure if I'll do it again this year or not.

Sailor-  I'm envious of your running group!  I do all my running with either my sister or solo.  I'd love to jump in with a group from time to time.    And cool, I hope your building is going well- that's a big project!  Hope we bump into each other some time.  : )

DanaYes, I've heard about the Tuesday night group that meets at EL!  My husband has a standing engagement every Tuesday evening, and I'm home putting the kids to bed, so I've never been able to go.  My sister started going this summer and really likes it- maybe you've met her?  Her name is Laurel.  I may have to try to work out some childcare this year so I can go, too.

Blaine- Ohhh, yeah, a broken foot would probably turn me off of a race, as well.  Will you be running at Pineland this spring?  I ran the barefoot 5k there last year and had fun, not sure if I'll do it again this year or not.

I don't know if I'll get to run at Pineland this year...my wife is doing the 10k, so maybe one of the 5k's unless we can get somebody to watch our daughter. I've got a wedding to go to in NH on Sunday so can't do the original plan of a longer run. I'll be doing a 100 miler a few weeks later in Mass, so it would have been good timing for a 50k.

Run to Win
                          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Home Away From Home

Sailor-  I'm envious of your running group!  I do all my running with either my sister or solo.  I'd love to jump in with a group from time to time.    And cool, I hope your building is going well- that's a big project!  Hope we bump into each other some time.  : )

It is nice to have others to run with, faster ones to help you push or just other suckers who don't mind the wind, snow, rain of maine weather.  We race hard together and play hard together and know we will always have at least one other at the designate meeting spot on a tuesday night every week of the year.

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.