Maine Runnah Group

advice and reassurances needed. (Read 253 times)

I can't get past 6 miles cause I am running too fast and at that point I just wanna die. Send reassurances that speed doesn't matter as much at the length of the run! Also send any mind tricks/games for getting thru the painful parts.. when you are questioning why you do this in the first place and are hating your existence. Thanks in advance.

I think a couple of Jeff Galloway quotes are in order...
      "There are no health benefits for running faster. It’s only for the ego." -- Jeff Galloway
      I run most of my miles relatively slow, you can check my log. Now, an 8 minute mile might be fast for somebody just starting out, but I have been running for 20 years and my marathon race pace is around 6 minutes per mile, for shorter races I run around 5:30/mile (and for a mile I do abut 4:30). So, the 8 minute pace is pretty slow. In fact, over the winter, most of my runs are in the 10-14 minutes per mile range (I run on trails in the snow and on ice near hills and mountains.)
      "Speed is mostly for the ego...but there's nothing wrong with a weekly ego boost." -- Jeff Galloway
      Again - speed is mainly to make us feel better. Having a fast run once per week isn't bad, but you don't need to run every run as fast as possible because you'll just get hurt. In fact, most of the gains somebody is going to make comes from increasing mileage. You can always run at an easy pace during your workouts and only run fast during races and see drastic improvements in those races just by increasing your weekly mileage from 10 to 20 to 30 to 40 miles per week. Hope that helps. If not, then if you are in the Portland area then stop in at Maine Running Company and join the Reach the Beacon program (I'm one of the coaches.) We have people of all different ability levels and it can give you some folks at the same level of fitness to run with.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Sandra, look at MY times for reassurance, lol! I like the quote I see on RA a lot: "To run faster, you have to run more. To run more, you have to run slower." My husband has been trying to run farther, but he keeps going too fast! So last week, while we were vacationing in Mexico (I promise I won't sneeze on you), we ran together, and I MADE him go slowly. He did 5 miles with no trouble, which is a couple of miles farther than he usually goes. I haven't ramped up my long runs this year yet, but last year I was running at least 10 miles with no problem. And that's AMAZING for me! So you can do it. I second Blaine's advice on going down to the Maine Running Company - it's really fun running with those folks!