Maine Runnah Group

No one else is out there, like someone threw a switch. (Read 393 times)

an amazing likeness

Anyone else notice that there is a sudden drop-off of the number of folks out running and logging miles? I find that suddenly routes that for the past months had lots of other runners are down to just me....like someone threw a switch and everyone has packed it in.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Don't blame me; I've been sick for the past week and have barely run at all. I plan on picking it up again this week as I get better though. Wink

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I think the daylight thing is throwing everyone (me) off. Its DARK when I get up and when I get home, so its back to the treadmill for the workweek. And with the perfect temperatures - my weekend runs are later in the day. Happy Monday A

Recalculating...

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Hmm, I'm still seeing a lot of runners. Last week when I took DS to school at 6:15 am for his morning XC practice, I saw a LOT of people. Yikes, it's hard to see them in the dark, even when they're wearing lights or reflective vests. One guy was running ON Main Street in Cumberland (what's wrong with the sidewalk? I use that.), going the wrong way. I have to keep my foot planted firmly on the gas pedal so I don't stop and lecture people like that! My friend and I ran at Pineland Farms today, on the trails across Route 231 from the campus. Wow, what a gorgeous place. Beautiful foliage, ponds, pastures, barns, etc. And the trails are in great shape. It was hilly, so it took us 37 minutes to run 5k. I ran that distance on purpose, since I know it takes Logan 16:39 to cover that distance on similar (or worse) trails. I have to admit, I'm envious of him!

an amazing likeness

Not being a morning person at all, I do most of my runs in the evening. I think I'm about halfway to being acclimated again to most of my miles being in the dark. Its pretty tough to transition to your feet always being in a black hole without a good idea of what holes, bumps and hills might be there. On the other hand, the weather the last couple weekends has been spectacular for long runs. Teresa -- I'm one of those people that run in road and avoid the sidewalks, when there's no traffic. I can't stand the up and down, up and down of the driveway cuts. But if there's a car coming, I'll always step up onto the sidewalk.

My friend and I ran at Pineland Farms today, on the trails across Route 231 from the campus. Wow, what a gorgeous place.
              I love running at Pineland Farms. The trails are like big grass roads. Perfect for strapping on a headlamp and going for a run in the wee hours of the night this time of year! Some friends of mine put on some great trail races there memorial day weekend every year. I'm hoping I get to actually run them in 2010.
              Its DARK when I get up and when I get home, so its back to the treadmill for the workweek.
              I recommend headlamps and reflective gear, and trails if you are adventurous.

Run to Win
              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I know what you mean about the ups and downs! This guy just bugged me because he was running WITH traffic in the dark, and not moving up onto the sidewalk when cars passed him. I usually run about 7:30 or 8 am, so it's not too early. I ran again this afternoon, since we didn't make it too far this morning. A lot of traffic on North Road!
                highonrunning

yeah im not rnning for the next month or so because I sprained my ankle and tore a ligament. Not sure how long ill really be out from running, but i have been swimming and Spinning.

PWL

Has been

I'm not running right now either. Recovering from MDI last Sunday.

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

an amazing likeness

Tell us about MDI. Tough as its reputation ?

PWL

Has been

I would say so. It was a lot of fun. I would say I ran the course but didn't race it. It was more of a training run I guess. I will cut and paste my race report: ...So last year I ran the Maine Marathon after not having run for close to month before hand for a whole host of reasons. This year's half-assed marathon was the Mount Desert Island Marathon--notorious for being one of the top 10 or so most difficult courses in the country. My training started okay this year, but my son was born in mid-April which really cut into my training time (not that I am complaining--he is an absolute blessing). Then I severely sprained my ankle two days before my 20-mile training run and thus could not run for most of the month leading up to the race. I had gotten one 17-miler in, but that was it. Needless to say, I was going in severely under-trained. I started to get a bit nervous on Friday that I might end up with a DNF. MY ankle was starting to bother me and the fact that I had not run longer than 17 miles since my marathon last October was giving me doubts. My wife tried to encourage me, but I was convinced she was just being nice. Our hotel was about 1/2 mile from the start, which was nice. We headed over around 7:00 for the 8:00 am start. I warmed up a little bit, but temps were hovering around 38 degrees so there was only so much I could do. The race starts with a nice uphill climb. And then there is another one... And then one after that... Yeah, then a couple of more... I ran the first half intentionally very conservatively--gunning for around a 10:00/mile pace. I bonked in my last marathon at around mile 20 because I had run the first half WAY too fast, so I was trying to learn from experience. By the halfway point, I was feeling pretty good. It is a very pretty course, by the way, running through Acadia National Park and by some obscenely sized and obscenely priced summer homes for the uber-wealthy. I digress. With about 10 miles left, I was still feeling pretty good, so I decided to try and turn it up a notch. I ran miles 16-21 at a pretty good clip. Unfortunately, miles 21-25 are pretty much straight up. I slowed down considerably for those, but had enough left in the tank to finish strong. Mile 25-26 was my fastest split @ an 8:27 pace (although it was downhill). Finished in 4:19:06. Not great, but not bad considering the course and my training. Had fun though, and am not feeling too stiff today. For those who want to see it, the elevation profile is below. My Garmin has me at around 4,300 feet of total elevation change. It felt like it. There was a fairly decent hill about every mile or so like clockwork. Photobucket

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

Congrats on the race! I've been interested in running in Acadia - tho' its about a 1.5 drive from Belfast. The Crow Athletic people do sunday runs in the summer, maybe I'll get a group to go with me. I'm working on getting some run friends (at my ability level) together for long runs, I discovered a local marathoner, wife of a YMCA member who could get us through +12 mile runs - probably beginning in the new year, any thoughts? A

Recalculating...