Maine Runnah Group

Portland Trails 10K (Read 478 times)

an amazing likeness

Anyone running the Portland Trails 10K tomorrow morning?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

No, tomorrow is when I'm doing the Maine Coast HM (all women, besides one guy). I'm petrified! Shocked What was I thinking??
      highonrunning

haha, Teresa, I know that one guy! Really nice man. Good Luck!!

an amazing likeness

I'm petrified! Shocked What was I thinking??
          You'll do great Teresa, no worries.

You'll do great Teresa, no worries.
            She did do great, 2:31:36.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

an amazing likeness

Quick race "report" on the Portland Trails 10K....Arrived Sunday morning at about 8:30, easy parking in the lots at the Portland Company complex on Fore Street. There were folks directing you in -- made it a snap. Weather was fantastic Sunday, as you all know. Using Saturday's chill as a guide, I ended up being dressed too warm, but didn't really realize until I had warmed up jogging out to the start line, so by then it was too late to change shirts from long sleeve (with compression underneath) to just an standard shirt. Starting line is down at the east end beach boat ramp area, so it is a nice warm up run down to the start from the Portland Company / Narrow Gage Railroad area. Finish is back at the Portland Company dock area. About the same size crowd as the LL Bean 10K -- 750 or so runners and walkers. Start was just a few minutes after 9AM. A few minutes after 9, they use a train whistle and we're off and over a pretty narrow chip mat, so had to be careful about not hanging at the edges of the start group. Course is out the east end trail, under Tuckey's, around back cove (clock wise) and then back on under Tuckey's bridge on the east end trail (past the sewage plant) to the finish. I had a run a longish 14m tempo run on Saturday and just threw this race in for variety while prepping for the Maine Marathon half, so my thought was to go out easy and just stay at my planned half marathon pace. Had heavy legs from Saturday, but didn't manage my pace well and laid down the 1st mile ahead of target pace. For some reason, just decided to hang on to the faster pace and see how it went. Through the first mile in 7:39, the second was downhill off Tuckey's onto the soccer field in 7:46, so I was backing off the effort. The third was 7:53 as I was trying to give up some pace and manage some ankle pain with a stride change. Fourth and fifth miles in 7:41 and 7:38, so back into a more steady pace. For some unknown reason, finished out pretty fast at 7:24 through the rolling hills at the east end. Great atmosphere at the finish. Good food, including healthy and otherwise. Highly recommended event. Andy

an amazing likeness

2009 edition coming this Sunday. Anyone running?

Weather looks spectacular. If I'm understanding the maps, course start has been moved back near the State Pier for bit more room, putting the finish down where last year's start was just past the east end beach.