Maine Runnah Group

Mid-Winter 10 Miler (Cape Eliz) (Read 776 times)

an amazing likeness

Who's in ?

Goals ?

I don't race all that often, but I really enjoy this race and look forward to it. 

I like the course...the start downhill for over a mile,  then climb behind the golf club, out into the salt marsh (wind!), the steady climb past the Spurwink church then crossing the B2B start, and finally the long climb at mile 9 which sucks all the aerobic out of you.   I like the weather challenge we have some years...huddling in the high school and then out into the cold.

Currently targeting LL Bean 10K as first race for 2010, so I'll have to enjoy it vicariously through you folks.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I'm in - no idea what sort of shape I'm in since all of my miles have been relatively easy for the past month.

It's been an interesting ride...I ran 148 miles 2 weeks ago, and then took most of this past week off although I ran 31 miles on Sunday.  This week will probably be in the 50 mile or so range, I'll venture a guess.

I'll probably aim for somewhere around 59-60 minutes, although I'd ideally like to be a bit faster than that (57-58.)

Currently targeting LL Bean 10K as first race for 2010, so I'll have to enjoy it vicariously through you folks.

Heal well.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I’m looking to shave a couple of minutes from last year to the 1:15 area. It’s probably not a realistic goal since I am 12 pounds heavier and my training times are quite slower but we’ll see.

It’s good to hear, Andy; you are already penciling in a comeback race.

an amazing likeness

Heal well.

It’s good to hear, Andy; you are already penciling in a comeback race.

Thanks guys.  Pencil is the correct word -- it's a completely arbitrary goal.  I have a knee surgery coming up Feb 22 and really no idea what to expect from that. I still have a "broken" leg, technically speaking, as part of the tibia still hasn't healed.  So who knows how long before I can do any more than walk and lightly jog on the treadmill. 

John -- I have no doubt that all your miles lately will bring you in with 7:20 to 7:30 pace easy.

Blaine -- take care of the knee, you sounded pretty beat-up at the end of your January stunt.

Really wanted to do this one, but promised a friend I'd help her get a HM PR in 2 weeks so I'll be pacing her on a fairly intense (for her) workout on Sunday - I get a long run out of the deal!  Good luck to those who do run it.  Don't be shy with RRs.  I love reading them, especially those by fellow Mainahs.

Goals for 2013: sub 18 5K; stay healthy

Did a say shave a couple minutes? I meant to say add a minute to last year's time. Can't escape extra weight and slower training times...

Oh well, on to the next race.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Was it very windy?

Was it very windy?

For this race, it wasn't bad. Big grin

Run to Win

Teresadfp

One day at a time

For this race, it wasn't bad. Big grin

That's good!  I always gauge how bad the wind is by looking at the tall trees in our backyard, and they were blowing around pretty good this morning!  Too bad it wasn't like Friday morning - that was beautiful!  My friend and I ran around the Bayview neighborhood in Yarmouth.

Blaine, that was a nice writeup about you in the paper!  I'm glad they covered it.  How are you feeling now?

I've gone five weeks in a row at 25+ miles each week, so I'm happy.  I've never done that before.  We bought a treadmill, and that's really helping.  I'm going to run the Las Vegas Half Marathon with a bunch of RA women.  I've already booked airline tickets and a room, so I've got good motivation to train all year!

My son ran a 4:29 mile at Western Maine Conference meet Friday, but he's a hurting puppy - AT and shin splints.  Do you guys know of a good physical therapist in the area?  He's kind of bummed out - it's his first real running injury and he's a senior in high school.

Blaine, that was a nice writeup about you in the paper!  I'm glad they covered it.  How are you feeling now?

Thanks!  Any mention in the papers is worth even more than the donations because it gets word out about Camp Sunshine.

My son ran a 4:29 mile at Western Maine Conference meet Friday, but he's a hurting puppy - AT and shin splints.  Do you guys know of a good physical therapist in the area?  He's kind of bummed out - it's his first real running injury and he's a senior in high school.

Jamie Raymond: http://www.raymondchiropractic.com/

A lot of my friends go to see him and he fixes them up pretty well.  Good guy, and an avid runner himself.

Run to Win

an amazing likeness

Did a say shave a couple minutes? I meant to say add a minute to last year's time.

It happens.  Pretty breezy day as well, which probably added to the challenge.  Your training miles are amazing lately, you're laying down a great base for the rest of the year.

an amazing likeness

Teresa -- regarding PT. 

I've used two:  Atlantic Physical Therapy (Jennifer), in West Falmouth, and Orthopaedic Associates Sports Therapy (OA) in Portland. 

OA Sports Therapy (www.orthoassociates.com/lp8/) is a heavily oriented to sports rehab, and they also have a sports training institute (called the Parisa school, or something close to that) in Saco.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks for the PT tips!  My son's coach wants to rule out a stress fracture as a possibility, so we're seeing an orthopedic doctor on Thursday.   DS managed to refrain from running yesterday.   He did an hour on the stationary bike at the Y.  Up to 25 mph, steep incline, and HR of 185.  He doesn't know how to take it easy.  I so wish he could give me a LITTLE bit of his talent and toughness!

Who's running this year?

If you want to run and haven't registered yet, better do it ASAP.

The race is capped at 800 and there's only 19 slots left.  (Maybe less, once today's mail in entries get entered.)

I will be there but am not planning on running this year.

Update: Only 10 spots left now.

Run to Win

L Train

In.