Maine Runnah Group

Pineland Farms Trail Challenge (Read 792 times)

an amazing likeness

Entered and was planning on the VT City Marathon Memorial day weekend, but will be taking my first-ever did-not-start and scratch that planned event. (I took April "off" from longer runs, and even a week of no runs, to see if I could get over some knee pain that caused me to pull up in the Great Bay Half...) Since I'm not heading to VT, decided to sign-up for the Pineland Farms 25K Trail Challenge. Well, here goes nothing...it will be a new experience. I've never run at Pineland. I have run TO Pineland, I have shopped at the store, I have watched a bicycle race there -- and the trails looked really muddy that day in October. I need advice if anyone has any experience with this, or any trail race. What should I do different from how I'd approach something like a half-marathon for race-day prep? Any advice is appreciated...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I do a lot of training out at Pineland - although given my busy schedule my first time out there this year is going to be at the race. Pineland is very hilly, and there are no flat sections. You are always ascending or descending. The footing will tire you out more than running on the roads but won't beat you up as much - the trails are pretty easy from a technical standpoint. They are basically a big grassy road. Most of the mud will probably have dried up before the race I imagine. Expect heat, expect black flies. There are a lot of sections of the race that go through fields and the sun can be killer. I haven't done the race itself before since I'm usually out of town memorial day weekend, but you'll be able to hear the finish line well before you actually get done so bear that in mind. I'll be working registration before the races, and I may or may not jump into the 50k. Right now I'm leaning towards it; if I don't then I'll be working the finish line as well.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

an amazing likeness

Thanks Blaine. What to do about the black flies? Have to figure that any Ben's or the like will just get sweated away... What about shoes -- regular ol' running shoes ok? I think so, the trails there are pretty maintained and not just paths through the woods, aren't they? I hope...maybe?

Trail shoes are fine, but certainly aren't necessary. At Bradbury, you'd be at a disadvantage with street shoes. At Pineland, you'll be fine. I use an oil that a farmer at the windham farmer's market sells (we found out about it while camping with some friends a few years ago) called Skeeter Skedaddler or something like that. It works pretty well. You could always try the blue cup test: http://mainerunner.blogspot.com/2008/07/deer-fly-experiment-part-one.html

Run to Win

an amazing likeness

The blue cup experiment was great, Blaine -- thanks for the post!

Teresadfp

One day at a time

How did it go, guys??  My friend Martha volunteered at the race and really enjoyed it.  She said you did pretty well, Blaine!

MilkTruck, was that you running on North Road Saturday afternoon?  I saw a guy in a white cap, close to Ledge Road, and wondered if it was you.

an amazing likeness

MilkTruck, was that you running on North Road Saturday afternoon?  I saw a guy in a white cap, close to Ledge Road, and wondered if it was you.

If the person was running a stong pace, good form and looking good, then yes it was me.  But in reality, after spending all last week on Ledge Rd and Granite St for the hills, on Saturday I headed the other way for an easy 5 miler to stay loose for Pineland.  So wasn't me on Saturday, Teresa.

I ran something around 2:15 or 2:16 for the 25K today.  It was work, the hills are relentless. I thought I'd be able to pace at around 1 minute slower than my 1/2 marathon pace...but that was a pipe dream.

Not meaning to speak for Blaine, as I actually don't know him other than one 'hello', I think I overheard him tell someone that he finished the 50K in 3:51.  That's just unreal to me.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

OK, I'll have to keep looking for guys in white camps, I guess!  I always run in a black or blue Under Armour cap.  I had to drive all the way down Ledge Road to take DD to a friend's house.  I've never kept running on Ledge past Mountfort.  That hill keeps going!  I think I will try running all the way up it some time this week.  The Mountfort loop is still one of my favorite routes.  Some days it seems easy and other days it's horrible!

MTA: What a small world it is - I know only a few people who run in my immediate area, and you're one of them!

Not meaning to speak for Blaine, as I actually don't know him other than one 'hello', I think I overheard him tell someone that he finished the 50K in 3:51.  That's just unreal to me.

Yep, I ran it in 3:51, which is a 36 minute PR or so.  I led for the first 17 or 18 miles, and I warned the other guys that were with me not to pace off me as I intended to slow down when my marathon a few weeks ago caught up to me, which is what happened.

I should have been fourth, though. Dave Kerr hurt his knee and he'd have easily been 2nd had he stayed healthy. I outsprinted him by the end, although I use the term loosely.  I ran in at 7:30/8:00 pace and passed him a few hundred meters out from the finish (he was walking).

Run to Win

Teresadfp

One day at a time

36 minutes, wow!  Very cool.  Hey, that ain't walkin'!