Maine Runnah Group

Question for Blaine about Garmin (Read 314 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Hi, Blaine. I've finally convinced Logan that the Garmin is worth wearing for training, even if it doesn't look too cool, lol. What do you think is the best setting for him to use for pace - "average," "lap," or something else? He's still having a hard time pacing himself. In his mile leg at the NSIC meet, his first 800 was 2:05, only two seconds faster than his 800 PR! He was fortunate he could do the second half in 2:23 without crashing and burning.

I don't think that a Garmin is accurate enough for him to fix a problem like that. It might work okay for learning what sort of efforts translate into different paces for easy and recovery runs, but what he needs are track intervals at a specific, not-all-out pace. 400m repeats with a spot check every 100-200m repeated ad nauseum is the best way to learn to pace anything up to a 3200m or even 5k. For example, aiming to hit 18-19 seconds at the 100m mark, 37-38 seconds at the 200m, 56-57 seconds at the 300m and then coming through the 400m around 75 seconds. Full recovery (~2-3 minutes of light jogging) and repeat 4-12 times depending upon fitness. When I got to college we'd do 20-28 repeats w/75-90 seconds rest at ~70-72 per, with the last mile of them at around 62-65 seconds. I learned that pace really well after a season of that every 2-3 weeks. The trick is to not go all out, and if you run too fast then your coach (or yourself) needs to call you out on it and make sure you are going at the right pace. For a 2:10 800m, 74-75 seconds is probably a good pace to be doing those at.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks, Blaine! I printed out your reply and gave it to him. Where did you go to college? How did you decide on it? There are too many choices!

Thanks, Blaine! I printed out your reply and gave it to him. Where did you go to college? How did you decide on it? There are too many choices!
          I went to RIT (Rochester NY) and my decision making process was simple. I applied to Georgia Tech, MIT, WPI, RIT, Muhlenberg and Lehigh, got accepted to all of them (except Lehigh since my guidance counciler told me the application deadline was 2 months later than it was and I only turned my app in a month earlier than the date I had been given - they put me on the top of the waiting list). My decision was purely financial since I had to pay my own way through college - WPI gave me the biggest financial aid package, but RIT cost enough less to be the most cost effective. Thankfully, RIT was also my first choice for where to go, so everything worked out well.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Wow, you're smart, to be accepted to all those places, even MIT! Smile That's amazing you paid for it yourself. I bet you appreciated your education more than most kids.

an amazing likeness

RIT...Brick City baby...brick city in lovely Rochester.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.