Maine Runnah Group

Trails to Ale 10K (Read 466 times)

an amazing likeness

Anyone running the Trail to Ale 10K this Sunday ?  I'm debating between running it, as it is one of my favorite races of the year, or taking a DNS to see if a week off might help some of my 'war wounds' before trying for 13.1 in the Maine Marathon half.  I haven't been anywhere near 13 miles in training distances since my return to running, so not sure what will happen and the time off may be a big help.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I'm Betty if you're Al

I will be there, at both of those races actually!

"I would rather have high expectations and fail then have low expectations and succeed." DB

I just registered a few minutes ago for Trail to Ale and I might do the Maine Half or might wait and do the half in North Conway.

I've been thinking about running it.  How does the course hold up to 1000 runners?  Last time I ran it, it was far less crowded.

an amazing likeness

I've been thinking about running it.  How does the course hold up to 1000 runners?  Last time I ran it, it was far less crowded.

Last year they moved the start and finish to help with the larger runner count.  Basically, they flopped them and now the start is near the Portland Company complex where the path is wide (at the old finish line), and the finish is at the east end beach area (at the old start line). This means that there is about 1.5 mile of wider path, before the narrow section as it passes under Tukey's bridge and starts around back cove, so things have time to spread out.

The only crowding I remember are the sections (1) where the back cove path is fenced on both sides as it runs right next to 295 towards the soccer fields, and then (2) as it turns right onto the Tukeys bridge sidewalk at about mile 5 -- there are walkers and everyone coming at the runners and two abreast will pretty much block the sidewalk on Tukeys.

I will be there, at both of those races actually!

Ditto

Goals for 2013: sub 18 5K; stay healthy

I might come but probably won't...I used to run that race every year when I lived in Portland but it was about a tenth of it's size back then.

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

an amazing likeness

Did I see something in yesterday's Portland paper that said they are up to 1,500 entrants for Trails to Ale!    If that's correct, that's going to be different, it has been 700 - 900 the past 2 or 3 years.

The last time I ran it there were only a few hundred people. 

And yes, about 1500 pre-registered as of Thursday night when I was speaking with John Rogers.

And no, I've decided I won't be there. Made plans for a trail run. And by trail I mean real trails, not the gravel and concrete path.  Fewer people...

Run to Win
                    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

The crowd really wasn't bad. The first quarter mile or so I ran on the grass but after that it thin out comfortably.

I had enjoyable time talking to Milk Truck after the race. His ongoing recovery is quite amazing.

an amazing likeness

Nice to see you again, John, appreciated the chat. Good running out there man, very impressive.  

I think you're storming over the finish at about 1:56 in this video from the finish line area.

an amazing likeness

Some photos.  Please let me know asap via PM if you object to your photo being posted based on me just pulling the bib numbers from the results. I have no desire to invade anyone's privacy and will edit the post immediately!

Diamond J (?) hammering to the finish:

Diamond J circles back and runs in TCloutier...

RoadShuffler hammering it home...she's running scared John!

Someone's got to bring up the rear...me (yellow shirt):

Awesome pics!  Thanks so much for posting.  Yep, I'm 589 and tcloutier is 288.  Great job all.  Hope everyone enjoyed the beer!

Goals for 2013: sub 18 5K; stay healthy

I'm Betty if you're Al

Great Job with finding the pics!  Thanks!!!

"I would rather have high expectations and fail then have low expectations and succeed." DB