Maine Runnah Group

Lake Auburn Half info (Read 11 times)

an amazing likeness

Anyone run it?  Course map?

And, while we're at it (as they say...) -- Blueberry Cove Half in Port Clyde.  How hilly?  Lots of comments about hills on their FB page...but looking for a real-world comparison; can anyone offer a comparison to something like Westport Island 10K ?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I got nuthin", haven't done any of those, but I wanted to respond anyway since this group is usually so quiet.

So, ummm, hey, MT!

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

an amazing likeness

Hey Greg...yeah, I sort of expected a post here might be a bit of empty room conversation...but gave it a shot anyway.

I've considered the Auburn half but haven't gotten out to it yet. Never run the other one either, unfortunately.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

an amazing likeness

And, while we're at it (as they say...) -- Blueberry Cove Half in Port Clyde.  How hilly?  Lots of comments about hills on their FB page...but looking for a real-world comparison; can anyone offer a comparison to something like Westport Island 10K ?

I know no one is actually active in this group -- but maybe someone will hear the echo.

The answer to this one is...it's more than gentle rollers, especially in the opening 8-9mi. I'd compare it to Great Bay Half in Newmarket NH, but Blueberry Cove is flatter for the final 4mi. Except that final 4 is steady uphill grade.

Overall Blueberry Cove 13.1 is a pretty good little race. It's got some 'quirk' to it -- handmade bibs, mile markers are a lobster buoy stuck in ground, turnaround cone at a lighthouse, lots of folks camping at race location night before, race medals are pottery (pretty neat). Small race (capped at 250). Had the 'just wander over there and we start by that mailbox around 730' start lineup. Amazingly (for a small, rural event) good water stops every 2mi. Course is pure coastal Maine as it loops from Tenants Harbor to Port Clyde and back -- some amazing views.

I've been meaning to get into and run this one for a few years, and am glad to have finally done it.

I'll report back on Lake Auburn...I can tell everyone's just on pins and needles waiting for the update. 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I will look forward to the update!

I ran 111 days straight from Thanksgiving through the beginning of March.  Most of it was on the treadmill.  Then I tried to transition to outdoor running and it went horribly.  Part of my problem is the weight I've gained.  I've been doing a lot of walking and rejoined Weight Watchers and will try to start run/walking.

The good news is that we just dropped our youngest of three kids off for her freshman year at college, so we have an empty nest!  It's WONDERFUL!!  I had no idea what a load off my shoulders it would be to have all the kids out of the house.  Smile

an amazing likeness

I will look forward to the update!

No update to post on the Lake Auburn half...I DNS'd it. Looked out the window that morning to the predicted t-storms, drizzle, humidity and decided I didn't really want to drive to Auburn to pay to run soaked and dodge lightning strikes, rain and wind.

Saw a few posts on the Facebook of runners who were upset that they finished and no volunteer was there to hand them a medal -- sounds like they had cleared the finish area to get the volunteers out of the thunderstorms. Not certain that's the correct details, but that is how it read.

I can't comprehend being all worked up about someone not standing in the lightening to hand you a medal, no empathy for that. Just leave a box at the finish and let the runners fish one out if they feel the need.

Congrats on the running steak Theresa -- that's a lot of days of pounding.

There are a few new folks from Maine (looks like mid-coast area) posting in the Masters running group...maybe they'll wander over here and say hello.

I might jog over to Skyline Farm tomorrow morning and support their off-road 5K...depends on getting my mojo in the morning.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Andy, did you make it to Skyline Farm?

My husband and I were in New Brunswick all weekend - we found a distant cousin of his who showed us lots of significant places in his family's history.  Edmund Price was one of the earliest settlers in the region, and David is in the 8th generation since Edmund, whose house is still standing!  It was quite an amazing weekend.  We discovered that Maine's roads are in excellent shape compared to NB's!!  Those roads are patches upon patches upon patches, literally.  Really sad.

an amazing likeness

Nope, no mojo on Saturday to make it over to Skyline for their 5K. Probably a good thing, because my performance at the Portland Trails to Ale 10K was miserable, and adding that 5K wouldn't have helped.

For the places I've been in New Brunswick, primarily on the east coast, my experience has been that their roads are way better than Maine's. Especially the 2-lane sort-of-major road, but not yet a highway.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

That's interesting - you must have gone different places than we did!  The roads we were on were so bad that when we finally came to a good road, it was surprising.

an amazing likeness

I realize it's just an echo chamber in here with no one posting...but thought I'd still take a second to add a note that I ran the Lake Auburn half today after a few years of scheduling conflicts or crappy weather...some random, unorganized thoughts would be...

-it was smaller than I expected with under 200 runners in the half

-starts and finishes on the campus of Central Maine Community College, meaning indoor restrooms, locker rooms, etc = always good

- other than an opening mile or so on RT4, narrow, rural roads around Lake Auburn, but with horrific road camber on most

- miles 7-9 on a gravel lakeside path (ala Eastern Trail) were great

- there's a turnaround cone on an out-and-back section from 5-7, but you climb all the way to cone, then back down..sucked the life out of me

- miles 10-12 are on narrow, two-lane with no shoulder, and heavy camber, and uphill all the way. Uggh.

- but 12 -13 is mainly downhill back to the CMCC campus

- fantastic apple crisp and ice cream at the finish.

Overall, course is steadily hilly, up-down-up-down, but nothing life altering. Its the camber and the 9-12 section that makes me say "maybe again..not sure".

robin from maine

Thanks for report.  Ithink I'll stick with the Kennebec Rail Trail, which is closer to home. Lake Auburn sounds like my Sunday long run, other than the apple crisp.