Maine Runnah Group

Clam Festival 5 course (Read 73 times)

an amazing likeness

If you're planning on this weekend's Clam Festival 5 Mile in Yarmouth, be aware that the spring high water and river run-off was not kind our Royal River path, and the section of the river walk path used by the race course has some washout on it.

About 1/3 of the width path has been washed out for short sections and it will be single track. You'll want to get to the left side and defend the position...stay left -- especially on the section after the path goes under Rte 1, for the next .3 mile or so. Basically from 3.8 to 4.2.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

an amazing likeness

During my run last night I had to pause for the Amtrak train heading north to Freeport, no big deal, probably less than a minute.  Then it struck me out the blue -- the Clam Festival 5 Miler crosses these tracks twice during the race, and the southbound train comes through Yarmouth right before 8AM. Race time is....8AM.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I didn't know the path had washed out like that!  That's too bad.  I haven't been on it in a couple of months.

an amazing likeness

Teresa -- Don't know if you noticed that was a post from last year (2012)....path is in pretty good shape now, they fixed up the washed out part. Sill a good number of depressions and holes on the lower portion from Bridge St to where it passes under Route 1.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Ha, no, I missed that, Andy!  The last time I was on it, my entire family went for a walk with the two dogs, one of whom is still young and was literally pulling me along, so I didn't notice the trail much.  I'm glad they fixed it at least somewhat!

I had considered running it and thought to bring Lillian for the diaper dash, but discovered they're on different days. Since we've got a pretty busy weekend already shaping up I probably won't be there.

I know that the train has interrupted the race before, but it never did in the years I used to run. I don't think that Amtrak has the same schedule on Saturdays, does it?

Run to Win
              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

an amazing likeness

Interesting twist this year for the Clam Festival 5 is that the bridge over the Royal River at the old mill, right before the turn onto the river path is closed for renovation.  The work was expected to be completed weeks ago, but they found more structural problems than planned, so they're not done yet.

Hmmm....that could be a problem.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Oh, my, I didn't know that!  Since I'm a structural engineer, I find that interesting.

I detailed all the precast concrete pieces that are on the new Patriot Insurance building going up on Route One.  I hope it comes together well, since I drive by the site almost every day!