Maine Runnah Group

Cape Elizabeth thinks about charging each Beach to Beacon runner an extra $25 (Read 264 times)

I was out looking for news on the Beach to Beacon, and while it seems a little early for most of the regular press coverage, I did see some meeting notes from a group in Cape Elizabeth.  It seems that they're looking to generate some income for Fort Williams, and one of the ideas floated around was to charge each runner of the Beach to Beacon a $25 usage fee for the park.  The idea didn't seem to be well received, so it probably won't happen.  It makes me wonder though, at what price point does the Beach to Beacon start to be less popular?  I run it just about every year, and I'm not sure how much I'd be willing to pay for it.

http://blog.southportlandsentry.com/2010/07/23/cape-explores-new-funding-ideas-for-park--july-23-2010.aspx

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I hope the idea dies!  I wouldn't pay that much more.  It's already getting to be a pain with the big crowds.

The runners probably wouldn't have to pay the extra $25, the fee is currently paid by sponsors.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

an amazing likeness

I believe that Cape should find a variety of ways to charge usage fees for the park.  They are being very, very generous making this park available to all of us on the back of the Cape taxpayers.

B2B fees (runners and sponsors) needs to cover the town's costs -- this is not an event that leads to people spending a lot in local Cape businesses.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I believe that Cape should find a variety of ways to charge usage fees for the park.  They are being very, very generous making this park available to all of us on the back of the Cape taxpayers.

B2B fees (runners and sponsors) needs to cover the town's costs -- this is not an event that leads to people spending a lot in local Cape businesses.

I don't know - my running partner and I just spent enough at the Lobster Shack after the race, lol!  I saw a lot of other runners there, too.

I couldn't believe how quickly the volunteers had almost everything pulled down after the race!  They did a great job.  I ran even slower than usual, but it was fun.