Maine Runnah Group

Hello.....Echo....Echo.... (Read 323 times)

an amazing likeness

Been awfully quite in here for some time now....looks like everyone has scattered to other groups (Masters and Swamp)...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I'm here!  Did you run in the Yarmouth race?  DS17 finished 21st (28:13), although he wasn't going all-out, and I finished 743rd or so!  54 something.  DS14 finished in 48:25.  I was MOST proud of him, because not that long ago he couldn't run even 3 miles.  Coach Dowling gave him a beginner's XC summer training schedule, and he is sticking to it faithfully.  He will be a freshman on the XC team that his big brother will be captain of!  I am already planning on taking lots of photos of the two of them in their Greely uniforms.

I was in Wiscasset this week with my mom, niece, and daughter (we stayed in the Snow Squall Inn, a wonderful B&B).  What a hilly town! It wore me out, running there. There was an accident on the bridge yesterday (two big trucks sandwiched three cars, but no one was badly hurt) that tied up traffic for 4 hours.  That area is a disaster - why haven't they built a bypass??

Have any of you been to the Maine Coastal Botanical Gardens close to Boothbay Harbor?  Unbelievably beautiful.  Why hadn't I heard of this place before?  It's a hidden jewel.  My mom has been to gardens all over the world, and she said this one ranks up there with the best she's seen.  We had to hurry through it, so I need to get back for a second visit.

The weather has been a pain for most people, but I've enjoyed running in it!  I haven't felt overheated yet this summer.  I hope the weather is not too hot for B2B!  My friend and I are going to run the course Friday or Saturday morning.

I've been incredibly busy.  Been running though.

Ran 4 on the 4th in Bridgton, the Bradbury Scuffle, took last weekend off, and after a 24 hour trip to CT tomorrow/Saturday I'll be coming back to Maine to run Emily's Run on Sunday and then of course there is the B2B on August 1.

The weekend after that I'm going camping in New Hampshire to help a friend out with his race (The Mud Hog Trail Race) and then the weekend after that is the Bradbury Mountain Breaker.  I think a week or two after that is the L/A Bridge Run.

WAY too much racing this Summer, but that's what I get for wanting to race in 2 separate 3 race series.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

an amazing likeness

Sounds like you've been busy, busy Teresa. 

I have been to the Botanical Garden in Boothbay and agree, it is spectactular.  It is pretty new, so that's probably why you haven't heard of it.  They've spent years collecting the land and developing the site, and got a large gift of the primary land that really allowed it to come to fruition. Years from now, folks will finally recognize the generosity of that as it preserves open space along the Sheepscot river waterway and the Boothbay peninsula.

I also ran the Clam Fest 5-miler.  I was 100% convinced that we'd be running in heavy rain, so glad that didn't play out. I like having something competitive to do, but beyond that aspect races frustrate me -- I'm not getting any faster (just older) and cant seem to push through to another level.  I'm stuck at mid-pack hobby-jogger level.  Did improve my time over last year by about 70 seconds and finished at about #215 or something like that. I can never get back any rythm after the path along the river and turning up East Elm.

Next up is Beach2Beacon, then Portland Trails 10k (love this!), then one of the fall marathons (leaning towards Bay State right now) if I can shake hamstring problems and keep the miles in.  I'm looking around for a few 1/2 marathons to add to the schedule as well, the 1/2 is my favorite distance these days, at least in my mind it is so there's less stress around them.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Wow, Blaine, you are racing a lot!  Good luck with your upcoming events.

MilkTruck, good job improving your time over last year, at least!  When I woke up that morning, I thought about skipping the race when I heard the rain, but since I had paid for THREE registrations, I didn't want to lose all that money!  I'm so glad we went.  I love running through the park - I like trails so much more than streets.

What is the Portland Trails 10K race like?  Is it hilly?  What are the trails like?  I'm not good at running over roots and stuff!  Do you ever run in Pratts Brook?  My friend and I tried it, but it was too rough for us.  My son loves it, though, and now that he FINALLY got his driver's license (took 4 tries), he can drive over there and run whenever he wants.

I have a high school friend from Texas visiting in August, so I think I'll take her to see the Garden.  She'll be surprised at it!

an amazing likeness

Teresa,

Portland Trails is a loop around the eastern prom and back cove on paved path and the cinder back cove path.  Raises money for the Portland Trails organization, thus the name, not a trail race per see.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Oh, that sounds like fun!  I run there pretty often.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Blaine, sorry to hear that your foot is still killing you (read about it in the Swamp).  I was hoping to see you at B2B!  I hope you recover quickly.

Blaine, sorry to hear that your foot is still killing you (read about it in the Swamp).  I was hoping to see you at B2B!  I hope you recover quickly.

Thanks, I hope I recover quickly too. 

I'll be there; if I can, I'll run (I'd say there's about a 1.8% chance of that happening...) if not I'll volunteer or spectate.

Erin is running, and my sister and nephew are going to run sweep, and my neice is going to volunteer at the finish line.  Not sure what my brother in law or other nephew are planning on doing.

My assumption is that I won't make anything worse by waiting until tomorrow to try to get to the doctor and maybe I'll get lucky and it won't hurt so much in the morning and I'll be able to walk and actually go to work. Right now I'm just soaking it in some lukewarm but previously scalding hot water.

Run to Win
                    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

OK, Blaine, I'll be sending healing vibes your way!  You can look out for Martha, Logan, and me, and we'll be looking for Erin and you.

He ran over at Twin Brook just now, and saw the 4x800 relay team from Cheverus.  The kids are working hard!  Tomorrow we're going down to Amherst to meet Ned Nedeau.  Even Logan is impressed with his records!