Maine Runnah Group

training programs? (Read 124 times)

Does anyone know of a good training program, for a beginning runner starting from being able to jog 30 minutes in order to build up to an hour or so? The only one I know of is the "One Hour Runner" program that everybody talks about, but I feel like I need to do something every day, instead of just 3 times a week, in order to stay on track. I started off with the Couch to 5K, completed it, then ran my first 5K, and now I want to keep increasing the amount of time that I can jog at one clip (and thereby increasing my distance). I haven't been worrying about speed, as I get out of breathe really quick if I pick up my pace. If one hour runner is the only one around, I guess I will start that one. I just don't like the fact that its only 3 days a week. I can't seem to find any different ones anywhere else online. Any ideas would be awesome.
    2011 Goal: Run at least twice per week for the entire year

I've never used a canned program. If you just want to increase how long you can run, then pick a "long" run day and just increase how far you run on that day every week. In the middle of the week, change up the duration of your runs. Let's assume you run 4 days per week (like you did last January) then you might want to do something like this: M: T: 1x W: R: 2x F: 1x S: S: 3x If you want to run 5 days per week you could do something like this: M: T: 1x W: 2x R: 1x F: 2x S: S: 3x So basically, if your long run right now is 30 minutes, then your short runs are 10 minutes, medium are 20 minutes, long is 30 minutes. Next week, you might run 10/20/33. Week after that, maybe 10/20/37. Maybe in the 3rd week you'd run 10/22/40 minutes for Easy/Medium/Hard days. Every pace should be at an easy pace. Difficulty refers to time. Just a thought.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)