Maine Runnah Group

Bar Harbor (Read 317 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

We were in Bar Harbor for the state HS track meet this weekend.  I told DH I want to move there!  We stayed at the Bar Harbor Motel.  If you walk through the woods a short way, and then run half a mile on a paved road, you arrive at the carriage roads, close to Witch Hole Pond.  It was wonderful!  I started at 6 am.  We used to go up there a lot, hiking and biking, but it's the very first time I've ever run there.  I ran only 4.6 miles, which was more than I probably should have since I'd already run a lot this week, but it was so perfect I couldn't resist.  I ran around the pond.  I saw only one hiker and then two guys putting their canoe in the pond.  It was 52 degrees and overcast.

I'm glad I'm taking our three kids back there in two weeks.  We're staying at the same hotel, and I'm looking forward to more great runs.  I'm still surprised at all the people I talk to who have never been to Acadia!!  I tell them I've been all over the US, and a few places overseas, and Mt. Desert Island is still one of my favorite destinations.

DS did well at the meet.   The rest of us had a lot of free time between the 4x800 relay and the 3200, so we spent time in downtown BH and just sat on a bench overlooking the harbor.  Afterw the meet, we played miniature golf and ate barbeque.  A fun day!

Sounds like a good time!

I'm a huge fan of Acadia; it's about 30 or 40 minutes from my folks.  Hopefully after the bar exam Erin and I will have some time to do some camping & hiking up that way.  We went in the Summer between her 1L and 2L years and had a blast.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

highonrunning

I'm going camping up at Acadia this coming week after college orientation, should be a great time! I really enjoy being up there also. Its so peaceful on the Carriage roads and the hikes are some of the best in the area!

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I guess we shouldn't spread it around how much we like it, come to think of it!

DH reminded me that we hiked Acadia Mountain when I was 7 months pregnant.  What were we thinking?!?  That was before cell phones, too.

Good luck in college, Eric!  You'll have a blast.  Are you going to run all three seasons?

highonrunning

I want to run x-c, but i haven't gotten hold of the coach yet. I'm hoping I'm not to late. I just feel like track is too much for me...to many circles..although I'll see how it goes

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good luck, whatever you decide! 

We're at the Bar Harbor Motel right now.  I'm glad they have a computer in the lobby that I can log my runs on.  I just got in 4.6 miles on the carriage roads.  Kind of rainy and windy, but fun!  I saw only a couple of small washouts on the trails.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Rain most of the week! At least today was better.  The boys took off on mountain bikes around Eagle Lake and Jordan Pond, and my 11-year-old daughter rode her bike (she's not too fast yet) while I ran.  She would  double back to me or wait for me at intersections.  We went 9.7 miles.    What fun!

Hey Teresa,

I'm glad you had one kinda sunny day in Bar Harbor! I was working (for myself) at home and managed to stand outside my front door for a couple of minutes. Then off to my summer job that afternoon, and the fog rolled in...

Have a great vacation!

A

Recalculating...

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Today we drove to Sand Beach.  While my younger two stayed on the beach and swam (58 degree air temp!), my older son and I hiked up on the cliffs.  He was patient and went slowly for me.  He's a mountain goat, but I'm the overly-cautious type.  As we came down, one woman coming up laughed when she saw me and said, "Ah, a descender after my own heart!"  I've decided there's a Temerity Gene - my mom, my daughter, and I all have it. 

Afterwards, we drove along Sommes Sound, but it was pretty misty by that point.  We left the island, and of course the clouds lifted right away and it was pretty sunny!  We played miniature golf before coming home.  All three kids said they had a great time, so that's what counts.

I'm glad you could soak up the sun for a couple of minutes, at least!  What a wacky June.