Maine Runnah Group

beach to beacon 2009 (Read 452 times)

Did everyone get in? How long did it take you to register? I've been sitting here over an hour so far, no luck yet. Hopefully it isn't full by the time I get through the registration process.
    Teresadfp

One day at a time

It took me 58 minutes and two computer monitors to register three people. Very frustrating. Kept getting the "Cannot Find Server" page, even after entering CC info. I hope I paid only one time per person! There must be a better way.

an amazing likeness

It took me about 25 minutes per web page at first, then the last page (credit card) was pretty good, so little over an hour total. Seems to me that if you are going to create a crush on your web site -- which they did by putting out press releases stressing online only, starting at 12 noon -- they you'd have a low-graphic version of your site ready to deploy to support the registration crush.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

PWL

Has been

I got both my wife and I registered in about 15 minutes total. The key is to register at 11:45-11:50 and not wait until noon. In reality, the option to register tends to become available 10-15 minutes before the "open registration" time. Even registering at 11:50, I was still registrant # 152 or something like that. Hope everybody gets in!

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

PWL

Has been

It took me 58 minutes and two computer monitors to register three people. Very frustrating. Kept getting the "Cannot Find Server" page, even after entering CC info. I hope I paid only one time per person! There must be a better way.
            If you put in the identical information the server will kick it back out and tell you that you are performing an identical transaction. I only know that because I got a blank page after submitting CC info for her registration. When I tried to do it again, it told me I was doing a duplicate transaction.

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks for the info, PWL. I did log in early. Last year I tried that, though, and I remember specifically that registration didn't open until 9 am sharp. So I had the site open already, and was surprised to see REGISTRATION OPEN at 11:56. I probably missed the very start by a minute or two. MTA: PWL, Greely's 4xmile relay team came in 11th out of 26 teams at the NSIC meet yesterday. DS ran his leg in 4:28, a PR for him. He will be running the two-mile in about a half hour. I'm watching the live webcast of the meet right now. Of course, it froze just when his teammate, Mark, was running his 800 race while ago! Ack.
              PWL

Has been

Yeah--last year it was 9:00 sharp. Two years ago it opened a few minutes early if I remember correctly. I'm glad you got in!

PWL

Has been

MTA: PWL, Greely's 4xmile relay team came in 11th out of 26 teams at the NSIC meet yesterday. DS ran his leg in 4:28, a PR for him. He will be running the two-mile in about a half hour. I'm watching the live webcast of the meet right now. Of course, it froze just when his teammate, Mark, was running his 800 race while ago! Ack.
                  Technology is awesome. Greely seems to be having a pretty good year for athletics this year. I saw hockey picked up a Gold Ball this year for the first time in as far back as I can remember.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Someone on the masters' board tried to register at 2:00, and registration was already closed!! Wow. I need to go see if my friend from church was able to register. The entrants' list is already posted.
                    PWL

Has been

Someone on the masters' board tried to register at 2:00, and registration was already closed!! Wow. I need to go see if my friend from church was able to register. The entrants' list is already posted.
                      I think there are going to be a bunch of disappointed potential runners this year. I can only imagine what next year's registration is going to be like. You can still join one of the charity teams I think. My sister works at TD Banknorth so she has always gotten in the back door in terms of registration. I hope everyone got in!

I got the white page, then was told it was a duplicate transaction when I tried again. However, I don't think you have anything to worry about as for some reason I didn't get in (although my wife did, and I registered her after me.)

Run to Win
                        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Blaine, did you see the press release on the B2B website? It says in part: "CAPE ELIZABETH, Maine (March 15, 2009) – Registration for the 12th edition of the TD Banknorth Beach to Beacon 10K closed in yet another record time – just 1 hour and 45 minutes after it began on Sunday afternoon, race organizers announced. Online registration closed at 1:45 p.m. EST after reaching the expanded 6,000-runner capacity for the August 1 road race in coastal Cape Elizabeth, Maine. The field size was increased by 500 runners this year, yet the race still filled in record time. Due to the high volume of traffic to the site, some trying to register were not able to complete their application before the race closed. Race organizers are reviewing the calls and emails coming in regarding those issues and will be working on a plan to address each one of them. To find out if your registration went through, runners can go to the site, www.beach2beacon.org, and click on the entrants tab to check for your name." Do you think it's worth contacting them to see if they will let you in?? It would be a shame for you to miss it if your wife is doing it!

Do you think it's worth contacting them to see if they will let you in?? It would be a shame for you to miss it if your wife is doing it!
                            I wrote an article at my site with some constructive criticism, which I'm going to email to the race president later this morning. I was just giving people an opportunity to comment and add their thoughts. If I get in, then I do, and if not then I'll volunteer at it. I'd like to race, since it's so competitive, but if I can't then I won't. Not the end of the world. http://news.runtowin.com/2009/03/15/race-organization-how-to-improve-the-beach-to-beacon-10k.html

Run to Win

PWL

Has been

In looking through the Entrants tab on the race site, I saw several duplicate listings. It's possible that there are two people with the same name from the same town, but they aren't real common names. I think some people may have duplicate registrations. Can you get in as an elite, Blaine?

Just got notice that in a few weeks they'll send me a special code and that I'm in. Well that's nice. Big grin

Run to Win