Maine Runnah Group

Press Herald Story (Read 193 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Did you see this story in the paper today? Pretty cool! http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/story.php?id=180351&ac=PHnws
      Thanks for posting that link, that really was a great story. I was reading it when I suddenly realized that I would be running Mount Washington with her and her husband as I am part of their "team" that registered. I am friends with one of her husbands co-workers that used to work with me. Very good story indeed. It is nice to see that she is sticking with it and making some great choices in striving to maintain good health.

Thanks for the link! I'm planning on putting up an article later at RTW about all the bad running news in the past week, it'll be nice to end on a positive note.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Bob, that's neat! Gosh, I can't believe you guys can run up that thing! I remember how our CAR struggled to get up the road! Good luck!! Blaine, I'm glad you included it on your website. The mom of one of my daughter's friends recently had the stomach surgery, and I need to call her to see if she would like to run/walk with me. It changed my life when my friend did it for me, so I would like to help someone else. I'm having a great time in Texas. Wednesday morning, my running partner and I went 4 miles in my parents' neighborhood. It was 69 degrees and humid at 7 am! 40 degrees warmer than the last time we ran in Maine. It is VERY hilly, too, so it was challenging. If it's this warm Sunday, I won't be able to PR in the 5k, but they're predicting a low of 45 degrees Saturday night, so who knows? If it's that cool, we will be the only two people wearing shorts! Oh, except maybe Tchuck, an RA guy from Wisconsin who is also running in the race! My mom, friend, and I stayed at a hotel on the Riverwalk in San Antonio last night. This morning, we got ready to go running, even though it was raining. When I asked the woman at the front desk for directions to HemisFair Park, she said, "Just so you know, it's raining outside." Hee hee! Just then, a pack of 5 or 6 guys ran by outside the window! By the time we got going, the rain stopped. It was so much fun to combine running with sightseeing - a first for us. We saw beautiful waterfalls and Victorian houses. I know that from now on, I will always run on vacations, and it will be a highlight of my trips. People are SO friendly here. When I get back to Maine, I'm going to start saying hi to everyone I pass - maybe it will catch on.
            Bob, that's neat! Gosh, I can't believe you guys can run up that thing! I remember how our CAR struggled to get up the road! Good luck!! People are SO friendly here. When I get back to Maine, I'm going to start saying hi to everyone I pass - maybe it will catch on.
            Teresa I've read a few of your posts here at RA, (always a pleasure to hear from other Mainiacs) and just wanted you to know that I can't believe I'm runing up that thing either! Confused Somehow I let some friends talk me into it...you know...we'll register as a team that way if one gets in we all get...blah blah blah...and of course I in when I could be running the Capt. Cash 5K in OOB which I have run the past two years. Oh well now that I'm in I'll give it my best shot. And it's great to hear your going to start saying hi...maybe I'll see you on the streets some day and you'll be one that actually says hi! I can't quite figure out why some people just won't smile and give a nice little hi or hello or what have you. Big grin Great to hear your having so much fun on your vacation...by the way isn't that why we tale vacations...to find other places to run? Wink

My mom, friend, and I stayed at a hotel on the Riverwalk in San Antonio last night.
              Towards the end of 2004 I went down to San Antonio for 10 days. My brother used to play Piano for Pat O'Brien's there (he's working on the cruise ships these days) so I stayed with him for the first week and then got a hotel downtown the last few days. I basically flew in, ran the marathon, got sick, and stayed sick for about 4 months. My brother's house was at a less than ideal level of cleanliness for somebody who just ran a marathon and then didn't bother taking a nap. Honestly, though, I was only sick from what I caught there for a couple of weeks since I went on heavy antibiotics as soon as I returned to Maine. It just took 4 months until I got to a point where I wasn't drinking milk every day, and since getting sick involved developing a lactose intolerance I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. After 8 months I figured out what the problem actually was, which is good since colon cancer killed my grandfather when he was 27 or 28, and I was 24 at the time.

Run to Win

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Bob, we'll be rooting for you! Blaine, it's too bad you had a bad experience in San Antonio. You'll have to go back someday! My friend and I went running in my parents' neighborhood again this morning. It was probably 65 or so and breezy. Felt perfect! We passed an older couple who were all bundled up. The man looked at us and in a heavy Texas drawl said, "Aren't y'all COLD?" It was pretty funny. Off more sightseeing in Austin now. Have a good weekend! Teresa

My friend and I went running in my parents' neighborhood again this morning. It was probably 65 or so and breezy. Felt perfect! We passed an older couple who were all bundled up. The man looked at us and in a heavy Texas drawl said, "Aren't y'all COLD?" It was pretty funny.
                  Heh, when I lived in Orlando, my girlfriend at the time came down to visit from Rochester NY in January. We went to the theme parks and I was wearing a t-shirt, she had on a tank top, we were both in shorts. All the native folk were wearing mittens and ski caps and giving us funny looks. When my friends ran from the Pacific to the Atlantic in 2004, their trip brought them through Texas. While they were at a convenience store a guy came up and accused them from being from "That thar snow country."

Run to Win