Marathon Race Training

Sub-3:30 in 2013 thread...where upgrades never dare (Read 513 times)

Ok, so if any of you sub-3:30 people who have made the leap into RunningAhead hyperspace have found this, say howdy!

There's no commitment, but at least say hi, if you have a moment. Maybe others will start believing in it too. If a sub 3:20 person would do the same thing, it'd be cool. Cuz I liked the whole big cuddly gang being together. Leave a comment and check back a few times. Maybe something will grow here.

As for me, I did 10k on the dreadmill in the hotel. My first mileage of the week. Felt great.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Great job getting us started runbo. I'm here. Ran an easy 8.75m this morning with a some hills.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

cpett

I'm game!  This is a much better experience then RW.  

Haven't registered yet but I have my eye set on RNR Seattle 6/22/2013.  Not the best to PR with but oh well.  Hill training here I come.

My recovery runs are much easier now.  I have a 6 miler planned later today and might throw in a couple fast miles during the run depending on how I feel.  I'll start training towards the end of February.  Between now and then I will be building up my base.

Thanks for kicking things off runbo!

PRs: 10K - 45:25 (7/21/12) | 26.2 - 3:27:24 (11/24/12)

2013 Goals: 5K sub 20 | 10K sub 41 | 13.1 sub 1:30 |  26.2 sub 3:10

xor

If I can get healthy, I am in.  For the record, you don't have to stuff every single comment and discussion into one big ass thread here.  It's ok to spread out!

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Well, heck, I'm in. No idea what my next marathon (or even my next race) will be, though.  

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

3:30 thread for 2013 in Racing forum. I PMd organizer before runbo started here. I am ok with either place as long as its not RWOL.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

jimair1

Chief Accident Officer

I guess I'm in.   At the very least I have a newer picture.  My next race is up for discussion...

PR's:  5k 21:14 (5/11) 4 mile 28:14 (7/11) 10k 43:04 (10/11)

10 mile 1:12:38 (4/12)  13.1 1:34:48 (8/11)  26.2 3:30:25 (12/11)

http://justrunjim.blogspot.com/

For the record, I think RA is the answer.

The only "issue' is whether to continue here in MRT or to go into the main 3:30 RA thread.

If we want to migrate into the 3:30 RA crowd, we could do so "formally", once we agree amongst ourselves. Say "howdy!" to the existing group there and say "We'd like to hang out with you." I really doubt there'd be an issue. 

I guess I thought if the other RWOL threads would migrate here to MRT, it'd be great. I'd hate to lose them. But, whatever. Life goes on, things change. 

I just want to lose as few of the original RW people as possible. And frankly, RA seems a good place to do it. 

Opinions, please.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

I think thread in Racing forum way to go as 3:20 doing their own thing and most from sub3 are in that thread or FB. Sub4 has their own group not on MRT.

Up Next:

???

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

BF has their own group also. On plus side if we kept it here we could have seperate thread for everyone's race, etc. Think SRL was alluding to that earlier.

Up Next:

???

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

I don't care!  I just am happy to be using a site that doesn't take minutes to load!

xor

This has been a really quirky thing where everyone is waiting on someone to 'make the call'.  And, if prior experience is the guide, if that person happens to be an RAer, then some of the incoming RWOLers will complain that RA is "mean and doesn't like us" :-D.

My suggested compromise:

"Get the band back together"... in the sense of your core RWOL group.... IN HERE.  Do your daily chitchat, ask each other stuff.

ALSO... join the thread in the main board.  In RA terms, those time goal threads tend to get a bit less traffic than you are used to... people will post races and come back with results.  Occasionally a training question will get asked... but it isn't quite like a dailies.  But use that to start integrating with RA peeps.  And by all means, if you want to ask a training question and involve some of the great runners you don't yet know from these parts (like jeff and nobby, but there are many others), just start up a plain ol thread in the regular board.

I think it would be really cool if, over time, more and more people do stuff in this user group.  But that will only happen if people start doing stuff in this user group.  Right now is like the beginning of the dance.

You should be aware that there was ALREADY a "Marathon Training and Discussions" user group here before someone set up an MRT.  I would suggest joining that too, just to see if there's anything interesting.  Over time my bet is that either that group or this group will get more traffic. 

And before you say "but posting in multiple places is hard", yeah, it isn't the most efficient.  But RWOL had two marathon forums forever and we all just sort of accepted it.

Last thing: don't be too worried about doing something "wrong" here.  The RA culture is quite accepting; they just need to get over the bump too.  If someone asks you why you are posting something in X and not Y, don't feel chastised by it.  And don't feel like you necessarily did anything wrong whatsoever.

DO realize, unlike some of the RWOLers who preceded you and immediately bailed, that there are some really good runners here too.  And RA knows there were some great runners on RWOL.

Hugs!

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

I don't care!  I just am happy to be using a site that doesn't take minutes to load!

^This

Up Next:

???

Double posting here takes less time than single posting at RWOL, so no problem there. I agree that if we're here we should integrate with the rest of RA. Let's get used to the site, try to populate the main thread, and this group for a while, and eventually we'll work out what's best. If the group idea makes sense, it'll happen.

Mainly I want to get back to posting about running. But also to get back to running. I've been all over recently, just got back from Bucharest this evening. Now, no more travelling. So I can run. And I joined the health club, so I hope to start running to work once a week as well. 

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Like SRL said I don't think they are as chatty as we are familiar with. That being case both forum thread and group here could work. I'll continue to post in both as well. I was thinking maybe we should start a race calendar in here as well. Just a thought. Look forward to seeing more ole familiar faces here.

Up Next:

???