Marathon Race Training

Sub-3:30 in 2013 thread...where upgrades never dare (Read 513 times)

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

WORD, Bo.  I was off for three weeks on the Grand, then a week visiting my parents, then I got sick.  Every time I started running again I got stymied.  I am really looking forward to running being effortless and fun again.  Right now I'm not even bothering with the Garmin, because that's too depressing.

Anyway, I ran about 6.5 miles today.  REALLY SLOW.

I started feeling like a fraud, always talking about how I'll start base building...tomorrow. But my travel schedule is now empty and despite it being mid-20's today, I did 11 miles. And it felt light and good and strong. About time, is all I have to say. Ilana, you it'll come back, but man, you really got taken to the cleaners. Major suckiness.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

WORD, Bo.  I was off for three weeks on the Grand, then a week visiting my parents, then I got sick.  Every time I started running again I got stymied.  I am really looking forward to running being effortless and fun again.  Right now I'm not even bothering with the Garmin, because that's too depressing.

Anyway, I ran about 6.5 miles today.  REALLY SLOW.

ilana - felt same way with my month's hiatus over the summer when I got sick. Took me a week or so to really start having some good runs and about 4 weeks before the faster stuff felt like itused to. You'll get there.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

runmomto3boys

I'm in!  Hi, guys - lots of familiar faces were!!  I start training 12/17 for Carmel.  I took this week off to R&R and then got slammed w/the flu. 

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Feel better Heidi! Taking it easy next week too I hope?

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Ric-G

I don't care!  I just am happy to be using a site that doesn't take minutes to load!

Agreed! I'm in too. The wait and blank pages were annoying.  

marathon pr - 3:16

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

I'll join in here, too.  I threw my hat into the ring on the main board 3:30 thread, but I don't know how much they want daily chit-chat in that thread.

I was a lurker in the RWOL 2012 3:30 thread, so I'm looking forward to participating now that 3:30 is a realistic goal.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

xor

Welcome new arrivals!

I'm still trying to decide if I should throw a goal race out there or not.

I'll join in here, too.  I threw my hat into the ring on the main board 3:30 thread, but I don't know how much they want daily chit-chat in that thread.

My sense, and it's nothing more than that, matches what SRL described: the "goal" thread itself tends to be more race target, race results, and training- and race-related talk. IMO, daily type stuff would work much better here (for RWOL and RA peeps). If y'all want a version of the Racing forum's 3:30 thread, feel free to launch one in here. (And plagiarize with impunity if you like that thread's format!)

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Runmom - hey, great to see you here. Enjoy the R&R

Ric-G - do we know you under a different name?

Flinders - chat away here, no problem. Didnt realize you lurked in RWOL. Just do it. What happened to make 330 realistic?

I just got back from almost 7 miles of coldness. Tights, two layers of thermal underwear, jacket, head scarf, and camelbak. -6C, so not SO bad. Main thing is the miles. That's a whopping 25 miles this week. Anyway, it's progress.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

I was a lurker in the RWOL 2012 3:30 thread, so I'm looking forward to participating now that 3:30 is a realistic goal.

Flinders - welcome lurker! Nice PRs! Mine are almost identical.Smile

Ric - welcome another RWOL refugee!

13 miles for me once the rain subsides here with al least part on the HM course.

Created a MRT race calendar as I thought if we got more organized in here maybe people will post in here more often. Maybe one of the 3:20ers will post a thread in here too vs. forum to get everything rolling.

Up Next:

???

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Flinders - chat away here, no problem. Didnt realize you lurked in RWOL. Just do it. What happened to make 330 realistic?

Runbo: Realistic in terms of being achievable this calendar year because of general progress as a runner.  I ran my first marathon in 4:16 in Oct. 2011, my second in 3:46 in Oct. 2012, so I'm targeting knocking off the 16 minutes over the course of 2013.

Thanks Clive; that is the impression that I have gotten. 

I raced an 8K this morning.  36:17 (7:18 average pace) in 50F and light rain. It is a PR by a bit.  31.7 for the week.  I'm working my way back from a PF flare that I got from dress shoes post-marathon, so I had a bunch of weeks in the teens, mostly running 3-4 miles at lunch.  So now that the PF is under control, I'm rebuilding my mileage.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

BruceD555

Count me in for a 3:30 goal in 2013 ... though I'm not sure if it'll be my spring or fall goal race. 

Train smart ... race smarter.

runmomto3boys

Ilana: I hope that the illness and other stuff is done and over with, and that you can now start building back up again.  Those 6.5 were a nice start!  What are your Spring plans, if you have any?

Runbo: Fantastic job getting in the 11 and that they felt so easy; those are the best kind of runs.  It's nice to see you over here!

Jedi:  I know you got those 13 in already today - great work.  How are you feeling?  You aren't running a FM until the fall, right?  You are focusing more on speed and the HM and shorter distances for now, if I remember correctly? 

Ric-G:  Were you on the RW thread or are you a RA guy?  Either way, it's nice to see you on here!

Flinders: Awww, that's great that you de-lurked and joined up!  Congratulations on that SMOKING fast 8K!  Woot!  Well done!!!!  What's on tap for you next?

SRL: It's nice to see you on here as well.  Are you running fewer races these days and focusing on a few, or still running as many?  I say name a goal race.  What do you have in mind - spring or fall?

My entire house had / has the flu, so it was a rough weekend, but I am healthy now and looking forward to getting back to running after a week off.  It was really nice to have a week to recharge/refresh.  I loved it!  I ate lots of junk, enjoyed the extra family time and feel ready to run again.  This week is - eh, whatever - b/c it's my last week b/f I start training for Carmel. My only goal is to keep my miles up in the 70-75 range.  No speed work.  I did a tempo run and intervals the last couple of weeks and I forgot how tough the speed stuff is.  Giving myself a breather...

I'm loosely following Pfitz 18/85 this cycle, but I did my own thing with his plan last time and probably will this time, depending on what I can handle, physically.  The 18/85 plan averages 76 miles over 7 days and peaks at 85; I ran 74 miles average over 6 days last cycle and peaked at 90, following Pfitz 18/70 and adding easy miles.  It's not a huge change for me mileage wise, but many of the work outs are more difficult in the 18/85 plan (longer tempos, longer MP runs, harder intervals too, more 20 milers, a 24 miler, I believe) v. the 18/70 plan (I did do some of the 18/85 work outs last cycle, but not all of them).  Anyway, I'm going to attempt 18/85 as written, but I am going to have no problem backing off/cutting some of the miles/lightening some of the workouts if it feels like too much.

I want to try some new things this cycle, include running my LRs as progressive runs more often, eating breakfast b/f my LRs, and throwing some (6-10) MP miles into a weekly MLR ala Hanson here and there.  That's about it for me.  Have a great Sunday, guys!

Ric-G

runbo- same name as RWOL. calif thread mainly.

flinders - possible to knock 16 minutes..i knocked 14 minutes off last year after a plateau. finished at 3:24 in the heat at st. george last year.

runmom - hope the flu thing is mostly over..we've gone thru it too

anyway i did an easy 5 today and tend toward lower miles. i recently did 3:35 at santa clarita in the heat (my luck). i have my first boston coming up (snuck in by 28 seconds) and will get with the program soon.

marathon pr - 3:16