Marathon Race Training

Sub-3:30 in 2013 thread...where upgrades never dare (Read 513 times)

BruceD555

HappyLily: Welcome...great to see you here! I know exactly what you mean about the pressure ... I generally keep my goals to myself but had a moment of weakness and posted here. Wow, Bermuda sounds great in January but the heat would be a bit tough to acclimate to so I'd probably have to spend a month or so down there before the race Wink

Runbo: Nope, didn't get a chance to run the strides in yesterday's 10 - since I ran with the buddy. However, I did get them in at the end of tonight's run and was giggling all the way through. Love them strides 

runmomto3boys: I'm running the Illinois Marathon this April and I'm not planning to do Green Bay. I'm a lock for running Lakefront & it looks like they'll open registration sometime in January. I still haven't decided if I want to run Madison this year or go back & run Indy again in November.

Ran 11m tonight in 25mph winds and finished it up with 10x100m strides - felt awesome running even with the gusty winds. Tomorrow is an easy 5m recovery run.

Train smart ... race smarter.

Bruce - way to go. 11 miles is a good workout without the wind.

Jk - glad you're healing up ok. For me the words 'swimming', 'mile' and 'relax' never occur in the same sentence. Thanks for the pics!

runmom - hope they sang in tune

So I did 7 this morning in the dark, and in the cold (sun rose at 7:50 today), and I did it all HR@135. Well, as close as I could. That meant that sometimes I was running neary 9minute miles, and sometimes under 8:00. Depending on whether I was on the longish hill at the turnaround, or (obviously) going down it. I have a sneaky suspicion I may end up running based on time and effort, with pace being a curiosity to study afterwards. This is what happens when you re-read Hadd.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

JK - glad to see recovery going well. Nice race pics.

Bruce - sounds like a a tough 11 miler. i ran my first Hm in same kind of wind and intermittent rain.

runbo - good to see you getting some consistent runs in.

me - easy 7+ miler this am. Plan was for 8m but cut it short as legs a bit tired today after my first quality run in about 6 weeks yesterday. kept it really easy.

Been talking to some navy buddies on FB and looks like a reunion of some sort forming. Some are runners and we're making plans to run this 10k: www.bridgerun.com Charleston was where most of us were stationed so it was logical place to have reunion. Old navy buds and a 10k, what more could I ask for?Smile

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

cpett

godzilla:  Welcome!

BruceD555:  Liked the "strides for giggles' comment.  I gave it a try this morning.  I'm glad I didn't have to run in 20+ winds.

happylilly: Welcome to the thread.  Bermuda sounds like a fantastic place to run.  I could just imagine... after a tough race sitting on the beach feet in the sand with a cool drink in the hand.  Sounds great to me!  Hopefully you get a chance to relax afterwards.

jedi: Sounds like a challenge keeping track of the watch and running those fartleks.  I bought an early Christmas/birthday present and got myself a Forerunner 610.  I am able to load workouts onto it so I programmed this mornings 10x100 meter strides into it.  It worked great I didn't have to run on a track and it would vibrate for each interval.  Although, the streetlamp method does sound much less complicated then having to program specific intervals/rest/aerobic intervals.

runbo:  I recently joined a gym as well and found that it was a great way to track specific HR runs.  I feel it has measured my HR progress over the months quite well.  I feel you with the reset issues and also the 60 minute limits on TMs (although running much longer on a TM could make me go bonkers).  

From my experience which is so very very limited (< 6 months of running), so please don't take this as advice.  I had planned to race my FM on time and effort/HR but realized quickly in the race that that wasn't going to happen.  My HR shot up so quickly in the race that I questioned my ability to run faster.  It was a good 10+ bpm higher at a pace comparable to my pace during training.  So I ended up doing a checklist on how I felt compared to training runs and determined that I felt good enough to keep up the pace.  It turned out that it worked and I reached my goal.  Again, since this was my first FM who knows how it would be if I were to do it again.  There are so many factors that effect HR, which I am sure you know, that I know now to double check what my HR says compared to what my body feels like it can do.  Sorry if I rambled on to long, and feel free to tell me to shut up because I have no idea what I am talking about.  Everybody is different so one persons experience will not be the same as others.  Foot is in mouth now Tight lips

runmom: Good luck with Pfitz.  I'll be doing the same come February.  From now until then its all about the base for me.  I'm looking forward to hear how the training goes.

Jk:  I agree with runbo, swimming a mile... Yikes!  I love to swim but don't know how to breath well enough to make it relaxing.  Sounds like recovery is going well for you.

me:  I ran 8 miles this morning with 10x100 meter strides.  I enjoyed this greatly!  It reminded me of my high school track days.  I am just happy that I can start mixing it up with my runs and not do recovery days all the time.  I am hoping to end up with 40+ miles this week.  

PRs: 10K - 45:25 (7/21/12) | 26.2 - 3:27:24 (11/24/12)

2013 Goals: 5K sub 20 | 10K sub 41 | 13.1 sub 1:30 |  26.2 sub 3:10

Ric-G

jk - nice pics

bruce - sometimes...sometimes the wind is fun

runbo - nice job, can't imagine a sunrise at 7:50!

jedi - sounds like this reunion will be great and a 10k too

cpet - hope you hit mileage goal for the week.

i did 7 earlier today. also ordered the hanson book as i have used their program more or less over the last year or so.

marathon pr - 3:16

runmomto3boys

JK: I love, love, love all the race pics!  You even look fast in your pics - hehe!  I can't get over the fact that you've been running for such a short amount of time.  It's amazing, really!  You are incredibly talented!

Jedi: I'm excited to see the results as you pick your way through the Daniels plan.  I think you are going to be setting some big ole HM PRs in the Spring, no doubt about it!   That 10K sounds like a blast and it will be great to meet up w/your old buddies at the same time.

Ric-G: Ohhh, I am another knuckle lights pusher.  I love mine, although they eat batteries, I swear!

Bruce: That's right - Lakefront.  I'm a lock for that too.  Madison is more tentative.  If I run well at Lakefront, I probably won't do Madison.  Nice job on the 11 in the gusty weather!!!

Runbo: What is Hadd???  I've never heard of him(?).  It sounds like a great run.  I'll be interested to follow your training this time around!   Nice work on the 8 w/strides too.  I kind of love strides.  They are just fun to do.

I took last night off b/c I had my kindergartner's Christmas concert and I ran 15 miles tonight at 8:32 pace.  I set out for 12-13, but felt good so just kept on going.  I start training Monday! 

ric - I'm unsure how wind can be fun, at least in combination with running. But I'll take your word for it. Good 7m.

jedi - I'm all over those 7 mile runs.

bruce - gutsy sounding 11m

runmom - you 'start' training on Monday. This should be interesting!

cpett - no, I think you're basically right. For me, how you train and how you race are different things. I mean, I can't imagine running a race according to effort. In training, I'm purposely running at around 135HR because that's the specific effort level I want to do now. I think I'll get the most bang for my buck.

In a race, I know basically what I'm capable of, so I pay attention to pace. I'll watch HR now and then, in order to compare that data to how I'm actually feeling. I agree it's important to pay attention to how you feel and compare that with the HR. But a race is a different situation. You feel different that normal, feel less pain...it's hard to compare, I think.

I also did 7 this morning. High 20's, so cold really isn't an issue at this point. Again ran at about HR 135. Nothing terribly exciting. But the first 3 day streak I've had since....beginning of October; which is also the last week I exceeded 30 miles (I was just building up again post marathon).

I'll probably be mid-30's this week, though I could theoretically top 40 for the first time since September.    Gah...how pathetic.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

cpett - I have a 405. the way i did fartleks was hit manual lap at first 30sec of each mile. i just forgot to see where 30sec was and just took a guess when i hit manual lap again. I've done fartleks as you say, but wanted to try it this way to get used to using manual lap as I have some crazy Daniels workouts coming up soon that i can't set my watch for like 12x400s etc. Nice mileage this week. Liking the strides too. i forgot to do mine this morning though.Smile

Ric - how do you like the Hanson method? Can't wait to read book and definitely using their plan for my fall race. Nice job on the 7 miler.

mama - love runs like that where you just feel like keep on going. I'm really hoping Daniels pays off. Anxious for Phase II to start which is meat of the plan.

runbo - another solid 7 miler. The mileage will find it's way back to you.

me - decided to pick up the pace today for my 6+ mile run. Way faster than my easy pace and right around MP, but slower than what Daniels says my M pace should be. Overall 7:58. Felt good to open it up a bit.. i figure with only training for Hm right now i can have a few days like this, but let's see how that goes in a few weeks when i have 3 quality days a week.Smile

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Rusk Runner

Okay, I want to jump in here!

I am a regular poster with the donuts crowd but I think I stand to gain alot here as well.  I am 48, started running to rehab from bad habits, and have been running for about 17 months now.  First marathon was Kentucky Derby and I finished in an agonizing and ugly 3:58.  Ran Indianapolis in October in a more respectable (to me anyway) 3:46:00.  I am currently looking at the Southern Indiana Classic with a goal of 3:35ish.  Hopes are to BQ in the fall.

I am familiar with many of you from rwol, and flinders from the donuts.  Hope to get to know all of you better and to learn much about working to our goals!

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Okay, I want to jump in here!

I am a regular poster with the donuts crowd but I think I stand to gain alot here as well.  I am 48, started running to rehab from bad habits, and have been running for about 17 months now.  First marathon was Kentucky Derby and I finished in an agonizing and ugly 3:58.  Ran Indianapolis in October in a more respectable (to me anyway) 3:46:00.  I am currently looking at the Southern Indiana Classic with a goal of 3:35ish.  Hopes are to BQ in the fall.

I am familiar with many of you from rwol, and flinders from the donuts.  Hope to get to know all of you better and to learn much about working to our goals!

indiana - welcome to 330. The Donuts should move their thread over here to MRT.

Up Next:

???

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Hi all.

I've had a busy couple of days.  But I'll get caught up; the worst is behind me (work, life commitments, etc.).

I'm working on cleaning up my log, and when I get that finished, I'll make it public so y'all can peruse it.

I have been too lazy to get out of bed to be able to run in the morning.  This is something I plan on changing soon.  So I have been limited to lunch runs.  I got 4.4 @ 8:41 in today.

I'm planning on starting my WTF plan for my spring marathon next week.  This is mostly my trying to average 40+ per week until the end of February.  If I feel up to it, I'll add hills one day a week in lieu of track speedwork.  I think I'll be able to get in a MLR during the week, too.  Otherwise, I'll weekend load.  Not the best plan  to hit a goal time, but I'm working back from injury, and staying uninjured is goal number one. A goal effort can come later in the year.

Hi indy.  Glad you made it over here, too!  Join the 3:30 thread in the main board, too, if you haven't already.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

indiana - You are most certainly welcome here. 3:30 looks like the right goal for you. Bring some friends!

flinders - I was having morning problems as well, but it's getting better. You do it once, and it almost starts becoming a habit.

I did 9 miles this morning in freezing rain. Had to run in the streets as the sidewalks were way too slippery. Luckily not many cars out and about before 7 a.m. Originally I thought I'd run more like 12 miles or so, but I have to admit that my calf gets tight after four or five miles. I'm at 30 miles for the week, and I'm thinking rushing into big mileage might not be the best idea. Maybe I just do a slow recovery run tomorrrow.

Rusk Runner

Thanks all for the welcome words. I do two or three of my weekday training runs at about 2:45 to 3:00 in the morning. Wednesdays I run in the evening. Tomorrow will be the first of the Pfitz 18/55 pace runs for this cycle. I have it set up so that I can simulate the first few miles of the goal race at GMP with about 250' of incline over 3 miles. Goal race only has about 150' over 3 miles but WTH (its better to bleed in practice...). My normal running routes are quite hilly, but the hills are not at my starting point. If I can pull off my goal time in the Spring, I will likely move into the newly published Hansons advanced plan through the summer with small modifications to a couple of LRs. Last Pfitz cycle I changed one 20 to a 21, and a second to a 22. I dont mind the LRs, I actually enjoy them, and usually I recover from them with one day off. The Hansons book doesnt really rec. adding to the long run but, I figure if you are recovering from them it shouldnt be all that bad.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Morning all.

Runbo:  I ran a lot in the mornings throughout the summer before I hurt myself (I strained my calf playing rec league softball), in part to beat the heat.  I actually like running in the morning; it makes me feel like my day has been productive even as I walk to the subway to go to work. My "mornings" are 4:30-5; not Indy's "mornings" of 3 am.Smile  I think once I get back into a routine after the holidays are over I'll start the morning runs up again.

12 mile LR @ 9:02 pace for me this morning. It was my first run of 8+ miles since October that wasn't a race.  Felt good to be back out there.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Ric-G

tough day yesterday to say the least...with everything going on in CT it makes me realize yet again how lucky we are in the grand scheme to be able to run and share our training/experiences here.

jedi - regarding hansons, i do like it and have felt relatively strong at the end of my races. most recently in santa clarita on a warm day (84 degrees at the finish) i ran just about even splits of 1:47 and 1:48. i passed a good number of people from mile 15 onward. i do know that i did not run any long run over 18 miles. and ran the first two long runs at 16. i wonder if my result was more due to total mileage. i am not a high mileage runner a la runmom ;-) but do know enough to say that maybe just more miles helped. would i have had the same or better result with pfitz...maybe. but i definitely did not feel that the lack of 20 milers made me feel weaker for the race. i like the layout of the hanson plan. i look forward to each run (maybe the speedwork a little less so). i also liked running 6 days a week and didn't think that would happen. i will likely follow hanson for 14 weeks or so leading up to my spring marathon. so i will continue to just put in some miles thru this month.

indiana - welcome, in my opinion, 3:58 is not ugly for a first marathon. sounds like you are well on your way to much faster times. i don't think adding miles to hanson will harm you at all. you know yourself best. just do it smart.

flinders - i hear you about staying healthy. way to  think this thing through. the mental aspect to preparation can pay dividends when you decide to go for a goal race. and nice job on the 12!

runbo - way to go on the 9 in freezing rain. slippery sidewalks suck.

runmom, bruce - thx for recommendation on the knuckle lights

ran about 4 yesterday...no garmin or watch. 

did 12 @8:45 pace this morning.

Have a good weekend all! 

marathon pr - 3:16