Marathon Race Training

When to Start Marathon Training (Read 36 times)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

This past weekend, I secured guaranteed entry into the 2018 New York Marathon (yay). Since I'm the type who does better with a plan, even just an outline of a plan, I'm looking ahead for the next 13 months. (Have pity for my wife, who will spend the next year listening to my planning the details of the day - how to get there, where to meet up afterwards, etc.) I have some half marathons lined up for the fall and spring, so my plan for now is to get my weekly mileage up from the low 30s into the 40s over the next 7 - 8 months.

My question is when should I "formally" start marathon training and what would that entail? I figure I wouldn't start until after my last half next May. Aside from further increasing my mileage and slowing down the pace of my easy/long runs to adjust to marathon pace, what else should I do?

NY 2018 will be my third marathon.

(I posted this in another forum, but I think that one may be inactive.)

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
    10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Running is Back 10k, 5/12

RunnerJones

Will Run for Donuts!

I think that depends on your goal for NYC.  If I'm just running a marathon to finish/get the medal, I just keep running my base mileage (40-50 mpw) and don't do any specialized training at all.  If I'm actually running for time, I'll usually follow an 18-week plan (Hansons Advanced).

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I'm running to complete the race, but I also feel my time from my last marathon, 4:47, has room for improvement.  I'll likely put Hanson's book on my Christmas wish list.  Thanks for the input.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Based on your current PRs, you will probably benefit most from getting your mileage up as consistently high as you reasonably can up to ~12-20 weeks out, and then start a marathon program that begins where you are.  Marathon training varies among the different programs, but usually has an emphasis on longer runs (not just long runs on the weekend, but midweek longish runs or Saturday/Sunday combinations) and tempo-paced runs rather than shorter intervals.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I will keep that in mind - longer runs all week.  Of course, with family and job coming first, finding time becomes a constraint.  If I was faster, I could get more miles in during the available time.  If I could run more miles, I might get faster.  Catch 22.

Joking aside, I will focus on getting more mileage in not just in the 12-20 weeks before the marathon, but even during training for my halves.

Thank you.

I will keep that in mind - longer runs all week.  Of course, with family and job coming first, finding time becomes a constraint.  If I was faster, I could get more miles in during the available time.  If I could run more miles, I might get faster.  Catch 22.

Joking aside, I will focus on getting more mileage in not just in the 12-20 weeks before the marathon, but even during training for my halves.

Thank you.

Just a side note: don't necessarily expect your easy run pace to get faster with more mileage or increased fitness level in general. I used to think this would happen - who wouldn't want to be able to do more training miles in less time? With increasing mileage and harder workouts over several years my race times have improved dramatically, but my easy pace has not gotten any faster. In fact if anything it has gotten slower - the harder you work on hard days, the more recovery you need on your easy days.

Dave

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Just a side note: don't necessarily expect your easy run pace to get faster with more mileage or increased fitness level in general. I used to think this would happen - who wouldn't want to be able to do more training miles in less time? With increasing mileage and harder workouts over several years my race times have improved dramatically, but my easy pace has not gotten any faster. In fact if anything it has gotten slower - the harder you work on hard days, the more recovery you need on your easy days.

I appreciate that insight.  Now that you mention it, I realize it applies to me - I do run my long runs more slowly after harder weekday runs.  Generally, I have time for weekend long runs, and it will be the weekdays where I'll struggle to find time for more miles.  That being said, just because I have the time on weekends, I need to be careful not to let my long runs become too large a proportion of my total mileage.

Joann Y

This is my experience as well. I've never run so slow. Or so fast.