Marathon Race Training

Winter upper midwest marathons .... (Read 190 times)

TJN

S Army Kettle run...

Completed a full beginning of November.  Rather than ramping down as the cold descends on the upper midwest our little running group is looking for another race up here this winter.  

Any ideas for winter marathons up in MN, WI, MI, IA, IL area?  MarathonGuide had one indoor race in Northfield MN, but that closed a while ago.  Any ideas? 

I've got the St.Paul Winter Carnival Half on the calendar for the end of January.   

Tim 

Booyah!

A winter marathon in the MidWest? Are you kidding me? Do you run in snow shoes? You guys must have some thick skin out there.

I did a marathon yesterday here in the mid-atlantic, it was 40deg with wind and i froze.

Good luck if you find one....

PR's:

5K- 20:15 (2017)   HM- 1:39:38 (2012)    FM- 3:26:53 (2016)

TJN

S Army Kettle run...

The wind can get pretty bitey, but you can dress for the ambient temp.  I'm usually ok down to around +5 ... lower than that and I'm indoors.  

I did find a couple indoor marathons in the MarathonGuide, but they were both full .. I've never done an indoor marathon ... kinda sounds like some sort of punishment a high school coach would dish out... "For fooling around in gym class, you now have to run 95 laps around the field house!!!".  But the reviews made both of them sound fun.. what the heck.  If I could find one, we'd give it a try.

Tim 

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Tecumseh is in south central Indiana and its a trail marathon in December.  You also have Huff 50K near Fort Wayne, IN in late December.

Resident Historian

^Shuddering at the thought!

Look south. Waaaay south. 

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

I ran Huff 50K in 2009 and it was right around 32*F for the race, we had 4 inches of snow fall that day as well.  Wasn't that bad actually.

cmb4314

Completed a full beginning of November.  Rather than ramping down as the cold descends on the upper midwest our little running group is looking for another race up here this winter.  

Any ideas for winter marathons up in MN, WI, MI, IA, IL area?  MarathonGuide had one indoor race in Northfield MN, but that closed a while ago.  Any ideas? 

I've got the St.Paul Winter Carnival Half on the calendar for the end of January.   

Other than those Winter Carnival races, I can hardly even find a regular (non-snowshoe) 5K around the Twin Cities during that time.  I'm supposed to do tune up races on my Pfitz schedule, but other than the Securian 10K, I think I'm going to be stuck with tempo runs.

I'm running RnR New Orleans in February as an excuse to get out of the Midwest during that time of year Smile

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

runmomto3boys

WI has the Icebreaker, an indoor marathon the weekend of Jan. 18th.  It's in Milwaukee.

http://indoormarathon.com/icebreaker_indoor_marathon/