Marathon Race Training

Resting before starting a training cycle (Read 34 times)

Bee2005

I'm getting ready to ramp up my training for a spring marathon. I'm planning on a slightly modified Pfitz 18/55. Training starts the last week in November for a March 31 marathon (my 3rd).

I've been pretty consistently running 30-35+ mpw since the beginning of August, with long(ish) runs of 12-14 miles. Before that I was in the 20-30 range for about 6 months.

I usually rest some through the holidays, but this year I will be in the midst of my training so I won't be able to do that. I think my body will need a short break if it's going to make it until the end of March and run a marathon.

Is it a bad idea to rest three weeks before starting a marathon training cycle? I'd probably run 3 miles every few days to keep from getting stiff, but other than that, no training for about 10 days. Then I'd have about 10 days to get back to training before my first week of my plan started.

I've always had a steady build into my marathons, but I've always run a fall marathon and then rested, so this is uncharted territory for me. Any advice would be appreciated.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

If you feel you need it, take it.  But I'd continue doing exercise, anyway - maybe something else?  Mountain biking, swimming, tennis?  I mean, I would go nuts not doing anything.  I'm unable to run right now due to injury, and I'm swimming, pool running, and biking.

(I actually would not stop running at all, really.  Just cut down the amount and run easy.)

Caferey

I wouldn’t cut down too much. Remember you’ve got a big run on the first weekend of the plan.

+1 on doing some other non impact cardio. Also have a look on YouTube for jay jonsons’ excellent Sam workouts and lunge matrix routines.

Marathon 3:18 4/7/13. HM 1:30:16 2/4/17 10K 40:31 5/14/17.