Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 12.23.17 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Friday's workouts:

Tramps (5 mile run)

Dave59 (4 morning miles )

RunnerKSA (5.2 open-window TM miles)

Stumpy (4.5 miles in LA in 45° temps, in shorts & a T)

Tet (100 qualifying stairs)

C-R (short, streak-preserving run)

Holly (9 warm, drizzly morning miles)

Surly Bill (4.2 miles at 8:05 pace)

Mike (8 post-work miles)

Deeze (1.2 TM miles + 30 min of spin + 30 min body pump)

Wildchild (14 snowy trail miles with the Friday group - temps from 20s to 40s)

Evanflein (6.3 late afternoon miles with icy eyelashes at 8:25 pace)

KSA, it would be great if there was a way for you and DD to just totally ignore the dickhead. It seems that he is relishing making you both miserable, and so not letting him do that would be a victory of sorts for you two. However, I do know quite well that just walking away from the cats is not easy at all, especially not knowing where/how they are. Other than that, I like the idea of suing him (or Tet's approach), or perhaps Holly's idea of letting us drop him a few love notes.

My heart goes out to everyone dealing with children and pets with issues and struggles, as well as those of us with injuries. But I know you all have the strength to persevere, and the wisdom to see the upsides/bright spots.

We have 2 "Pickles" here??

We had an easier-than-expected drive to NY yesterday, especially since we drove through snow, sleet and rain, and that there is almost ALWAYS horrible traffic on Long Island. But it still took us 5.5 hours.

I was going to head out for a workout this morning till I heard the rain pelting against the windows. So I stayed in and read, stretching my mind (what's left of it), instead of my legs.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

bioguy

Hi all

I've been getting some runs in but have been off the forum for a bit. School is finally out for Christmas break; been giving midterm exams all week, not just for my classes but also those kids across the hall whose teacher quit. Guess who has to grade them too?  Probably won't run today. I have a sore throat and it is cold and rainy. Supposed to go to big family party today (my wife's side) but I'd love to stay home.

Tailwinds!

Good morning guys and those yet to post. Glad you made it to your destination safely Jay, and sorry for the bad weather.

Feel better, Bioguy.

6 miles on the treadmill at the Y this morning, followed with 20 minutes of weights and core.  A group of men who play racquetball every Saturday morning had coffee and cookies for us early workout folks. I love how thoughtful people are at this time of the year.

DS#2, who drives over the road for a national trucking company, is broke down in Indianapolis and not sure if he's going to make it home in time for Christmas.

Hugs to all who need a little extra love this Christmas. Deez, Pickles, RunnerKSA and Norm's DDs and everyone else who needs a prayer or two.

Tramps

I'm really still trying to get over that Tet said dickhead...

The language around here lately.      

Jay--glad your travels went well. Some years back, we stopped trying to get up to family in NH for the holidays in large part because there seemed to be a storm whenever we traveled. Seeing the forecast up there today makes us again glad we're home for the holidays.

Got a 22-mile ride in before our rain arrives later.  Warm 50s but quite windy. Cold temps back next week so this might be the last ride of the year.

Be safe. Be kind.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I'm really still trying to get over that Tet said dickhead...

Sometimes creephead just isn't good/bad enough

Not sure where I picked it up from, though . . .

<<<(holly/holly)>>>

KSA, it would be great if there was a way for you and DD to just totally ignore the dickhead

I was going to head out for a workout this morning till I heard the rain pelting against the windows. So I stayed in and read, stretching my mind (what's left of it), instead of my legs.

That’s where even I’d like the twocat rule too,
            or as he calls it, running rule no. 1.
            With clear skies and low 30's in the PNW
            so no risk of breakin’ it around here today.

However, there must be some reason,
            other than I just don’t feel like runnin’
            somewhere and running back for no reason
            other than running there and comin’ back,
            that I’m not running somewhere and comin’ back.
            Maybe four miles this afternoon to Bellevue
            to see the Christmas lights and parade.  
            In addition, maybe over there I can find a pocket planner
            for 2018.  I guess with everyone usin’ their various
            gadgets, the days of planners, especially with all the extras

of address addendums, time zones, zip codes, little maps, etc.

are long gone.  The biggest drug store in town

doesn’t even carry any this year and the pickin’s

at office stores and elsewhere are slim and far between.  
            One place had some made in China that,
            instead of January - December 2018
            ran from December 2017- November 2018

with no December 2018.  Maybe the Chinese year.

very icy eyelashes at the end!

sounds worthy of  a Merry Christmas picture

ps tom - drive safe with the original Pickles

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

C-R

Hey all. Glad travels went ok Jay. I get the sentiment on rain. We had a wonderful snow fall this morning. A bit slushy but great for some running.

Riding and rain don't mix well Tramps. Glad you got that done.

tet - the language but I get it. 

Ran to my 5k this morning, raced in the snow and ran home. Not sure what is wrong with me but I got a little over 9 that way.

Thanks for the thoughts on DD. Purdue has an excellent DRC and we have some accommodations in place. However, our advice about reaching out to the profs, discussing material and studying process didn't take. I'm pretty sure the wake up call was answered. We will keep at it.

Off to some chores and last minute shopping. Yeah I'm a guy. I still have more than 24 hours and convenience stores are always open.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Marathon Maniac #957

Tet -

C-R - my sympathies on the shopping, although I do still need to run to the cinema to get DS a gift card and probably will pick up some Lotto tickets for the stockings.

Freezing rain here this morning, so I did 5 miles on the TM.  Now it has turned to snow and looks lovely but I know there is a layer of ice under.  Various cooking and cleaning chores and then off to church later.

Happy Holiday Weekend!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

Very rainy day. It didn't take a forum rule to keep me from running outside.

Cindy & I were up early so we went to breakfast at Cracker Barrel. I let the food sit for a couple hours and then I went to the gym and ran 3.25 on the treadmill.

Mariposai

Tet, you are priceless!!!!

Lovely sunny day here, but very cold. It is about 9F.

Our sons are home, call me a happy mama.

No running today, but I do have a long day of cooking ahead of me Smile.

Wishing a fun weekend to all!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Good job running today, Norm. 

We were really all set to have him out of our lives until this cat thing happened.  I might have an idea.....  He did not answer my nice email asking to tell us where the cats are and to possibly let me have Duke.   I have some news contacts here in town, and possibly I let the dickhead know there might be some news interest in the story....  I doubt Mr. Doctor wants to be on the 6:00 news....

I did NOT want to go outside today.  It was still raining when we woke up with some flooding around the area, which means the running paths were going to have giant areas of ankle deep water.  I finally got out the door after 11 from the house and did one of my harder routes.  Managed to do 6.5 of the planned 5 miles, so I'm proud of myself for that.  Still very gloomy, but the rain has moved out for now.  Son is driving all day from northern VA (went there from Philly last night) and didn't hit the road today until 11 or so.  "I told you I was going to do a bike ride," he said.  I informed him that, no, he had not told me that.  Kids are kids, even at 31.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Quickadder

A long run for me in short sleeves this morning. 50F and a cool breeze off the lake.

I never set myself particular targets for runs, though I have in the back of my mind that I'm signed up for a marathon in 10 weeks time. One of our Saturday running group had the last of her 20 milers in her plan for a marathon 3 weeks out and I decided to try and run a few of her miles with her even though she warned me that she would be running about 9:15 pace. She is looking to run a 3:55 next month for a BQ-5 whereas I'll be happy with a 4:1x in March, so that pace is well inside my goal MP. We ran at her pace, but with lots of breaks for her water stops, Gu stops, etc. I didn't pause my app for these breaks, which Strava calculated to be nearly 16 minutes in total. The breaks probably helped me to keep up with her pace and by the time her watch said 20 miles, I'd got 20.3 miles at 10:02 average pace. Strava ignores the non-moving time and said average pace was 9:14.

Still chasing my personal pace bunny (from RW days) of 1500 miles for the year, but am getting closer and need 'just' another 42.7 miles with 8 days left.

Talking of pickles, there is almost a full jar of them in my fridge. 

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

RunnerKSA I had to go back a few days to catch up. Wow, what a jerk! Not much else to say.

C-R good luck with your DD. A lot of kids find the initial years at college quite a challenge. I hope something breaks and she gets her grades up.

Just came by to say hello all. I did an hour on the elliptical today. Then did some grocery shopping, cooking and a bit of work. DW and her sister spent the day in a spa. Yesterday was my SIL's birthday and the spa day was her birthday present.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Glad you got to NY safely, Jay.  Have a fun time!

Wow, bioguy--the teacher quit?  Isn't there a large substitute list the school can draw from?

Jeanne--wouldn't it be cool if people were thoughtful all year?  Hmm...maybe I should try to be, too.

Tramps--your comment about using your gps for a route you know the distance of--I do the same thing...why?

I sure hope you find that pocket calendar, tet...they might be in the same isle as the rolodex's.

C-R--I'm sure your daughter will be fine.  My older son, Mikey, was a straight A student all through school without any effort.  He got a D in his first biology class in college.  He figured it out--she will, too.

Holly!  Take a dang break, sometime!  You really don't know how, do you?

I think I've only eaten at a Cracker Barrel once and I don't think I cared for it, for some reason.  I should give it another try, I suppose.

Hey--Happy Mama!  Have fun with those boys!

KSA--I hope I never get on your bad side.  I kind of like the news idea.

Nice 20 miler, Quickadder--even with all the breaks.  Good luck with your marathon...wherever it is.

Hmm...your DW buys her sister a day at the spa as a birthday present...then spends the day at the spa with her...you've got a pretty smart wife, Twocat.

Finally!  I day when I have a little time.  I suppose, because I get up at 4:00 AM during the week, I was up early, this morning, too.

Because Ryan is coming home for Christmas and staying for a week, I took off Tuesday and Wednesday, next week.  But I have a big project that has to be done, so I went in this morning, and worked a few hours on it.  And I'm sure I'll go in for a couple hours on Tuesday and Wednesday, too.  Oh, well--I'm sure I'll be back home before Ryan is out of bed, anyway.

I went 12 miles, today.  The sun sure makes 20o feel a lot warmer.  With about a mile to go, my stomach started rumbling and aching a bit.  I hoped I'd be able to relieve it by passing a little gas...nope...it wasn't gas.  If my run had been 12.1 miles, there is no doubt I would have crapped in my pants.  I just made it.

Okay--that's about it.  Oh--I was going to tell you that, when Debbie was pregnant with Eric, we joked about naming him Richard Edward...and, of course, calling him Dick Ed...I'm kind of glad we decided on Eric.  See ya!

6.2 at a very leisurely 8:44 to put me over 40 for the week so far.

MY Pickles is doing great, hardly wonky at all today. However, my Life Accomplice is a little under the weather from our cocktail party last night. "I'm going to go upstairs and check on the kids" is code for "I'm going to go pass out". The Booze Buffet and Snack Buffet were very nicely turned out, she did a great job as usual. I was able to introduce a few people to some different mid-grade Scotch, and a neighbor brought over some Mead. Only about 7-8 people, we played Cards Against Humanity and got caught up with everything that's going on with each other. Now I don't have to worry about hosting anything for at least a couple more months.

I have to confess to a crime, though. It was a "spare the air" day yesterday, and I lit a fire in the fireplace. I am a criminal. next thing you know, I'll be robbing heroin and taking banks, maybe even run for Congress.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

evanflein

...next thing you know, I'll be robbing heroin and taking banks, maybe even run for Congress.

Oh dear lord, no, not that! Glad to hear Pickles is feeling better, even if the L.A. is not. Sometimes the best thing you can do is go to bed.

Mike, I bet Eric is thankful that first choice got dumped.

Jlynne, I hope your son makes it home. That's gotta suck.

Got all my shopping done. Good thing my family just gets edible and drinkable Christmas presents. I got all their presents at Fred Meyer, the wine shop and the pet store.

7.1 miles of hills this afternoon, after listening to La Tortuga's radio show. She's a DJ for a station in the Boston area and it's fun to stream her show when I'm home.