Masters Running

The Daily on Friday, 1.17.14 (Read 46 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Where's Wildchild? Must be having a late lunch...

I'm glad you survived the bit 'o ice yesterday, Stumpy.

Good for you for taking a rest/book-reading day, Mariposai. I hope you enjoyed it.

20'll teach 'em that you're back, Ribs! 

I hope you're doing better today, JBG. Good placement of the vodka, but I'm with Henry on where to put the gin.

Nice run and shoveling cross-training, C-R. What are you doing to wear out that snow shovel so fast??

Thanks for the reminder, Twocat. Isn't that one of the reasons we all spend time here? While it's not f-t-f, it's still socializing, isn't it? Are you going out too hard on your tempo runs?

BregerBill - That certainly is a lesson taught early in husband school. But many of us were too busy flipping channels with the remote to pay attention in husband school...

"Never thought I could make money selling my body at this age......heh." Nope, I'm not going there. 

I hope you get that joyful photo posted, Tet! And I hope you have another greta marathon today.

Small house, Steve! No wonder it takes 3 truck-loads to get all the windows there. I suspect there'll be some good paydays in the process of getting that house finished.

Deeze, "adaptive motion trainer" sounds a bit intimidating. I don't know that I'd want to get on that thang.

Nice run, Holly, and great photo of DD the musician!

It was a real treat to be able to stay home with DW last night, eat a real dinner, and just relax. Dang meetings... I was up at 3:45 this morning and out the door at 4:05. It was a balmy 35F, and there was dense, intense fog. Visibility, at best, was maybe 1/3 mile. The fool moon was playing hide-and-seek in the clouds, and was just a pale orb at its brightest. I wore a new pair of Mizuno Evo that I got cheap at a liquidation sale. They are a 0-drop shoe, and had felt fine when walking around the house in them. After about 1.5 miles this morning, my right big toe started to hurt a bit. I thought I could walk through it, but I couldn't. I gave it up after about 2 miles because it was getting pretty painful. I though of taking them off and doing some Tet walking, but my feet are too used to being encased, and wouldn't be tough enough to walk barefoot in the dark on a cold road. So I just took it very easy for the 2+ miles back home. My feet felt fine as soon as I took the shoes off. I won't be putting them back on.

Best wishes for a good time to Tet, Sarge, and Milktruck in their races this weekend.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

AT&T UVerse is the greatest invention since the wheel.  One DVR, but you can watch what you recorded on any TV in the house.  (I think there are other services like that too, but AT&T is the only one available around here.)

I ran 5 on the TM with 2.something at half marathon pace.  Not what I wanted but I almost fell off the tm on Wednesday and I had a couple small glitches today.  I think the minor head cold I have is affecting my balance.  It's probably what also is causing the occasional wave of nauseousness.

I'll do my best to run outside tomorrow and see how it goes.  Balance on TM is hard enough on a normal day, but with head congestion it is apparently a dangerous activity.  They should have a warning label about that.

lamerunner

Good morning. Sorry about all my whining the other day. A couple of half-decent runs the last couple of days; about 8 yesterday around town and another 8 this morning, on the rail trail. Footing was "interesting," but I expected that so wore yak traks. A mix of snow, ice ( lots of ice), mud  and occasionally, just the trail. . It was fairly warm at about 35 so the ice was soft enough that yak traks mostly worked, though pace a bit slower than usual. Still, fun to be off the road, away from cars. Rib issue is still there and doctor wants to see me again, but this morning it felt slightly better.  Not sure about swimming yet; that felt pretty sore the other day.

Ribs, great mid-week 20 miler.  Impressive.  Jay, glad you got a break from meetings. Tet, I still don't know what you are talking about, but it sounds fun. DS has been doing pretty well in his high school races and has a very strong team. He is about #4; on most public school teams, he would be 1 or 2. It is fun for him to have a good group. DD has a high school friend visiting her in Colorado and is taking her around skiing etc. I hope she is not scaring the pants off her friend...DD is a good skiier and has some back country experience.

Happy running and happy weekend...

King of PhotoShop

Thanks Lame, Jay and all, re the 20.  Rest of the day my left calf was tight and I was gimping around the house.  This morning I took Lucy to the park and walked one mile, which loosened it up just fine and then jogged/walked another.  Feeling super right now.

This afternoon is the funeral for the lady I wrote about yesterday. The Saint and I will go to that.

I'm not drinking any alcohol as an experiment.  My thinking is that because it's the liver that is generating all this LDL cholesterol, perhaps I can focus on helping my liver, rather than worrying about diet and statins and other meds.  So all this talk about frozen vodka made me want to go pour myself a drink.

Oh, and I love that Janie B. Good.  Spareribs

janie b good

I love all the love in this forum.  I don't know why I stayed away for so long?

3.33 miles on the treadmill (and I didn't even do that on purpose!)

and I swear my legs can go farther than 3 miles.  my official training starts next Monday and i'll be incorporating a long run into the mix the following weekend.  no reason to hurry!

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

C-R

Hey all. Got my usual 10k at lunch. A little faster today as I'm recovered from the beating my son put on my Mon and Tue. Just in time to possibly race tomorrow but with snow on the ground, not sure that the streets will be clear for more than just a slog.

I have some NB890s like that Jay. They are now my lawn mowing shoes. Funny thing is that my 1400s and Minimus feel awesome. Ah well at least you didn't pay full fare.

Our Direct TV allows that too Dave and I love it. Except all of the stuff the kids record. Need to teach them to search On Demand first.

I'm with you lame. No clue what Tet is doing but it sounds fun.

Interesting idea on the LDL Ribs. I'll be curious about the results. And they should allow you to read that post you wrote as a tribute to your friend. Really good stuff.

Good luck on training janie. Reminds me I need to put my plan into the RA calendar for my marathon.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

In full agreement.

That being said, this has to be a drive-by (or I guess a "type-by") ~~

Nice 20-miler, Ribs!!

Got in my 5 miles Thursday, and, once again, decided to do no XT/ST this morning.  It was a late Bonkos night last night, and I didn't get to sleep 'til around 11:30.  The older I get, the less I'm willing to sacrifice sleep.

Gotta go.  Yack atcha later ~

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

I agree, too!

Tonight I am going to see the Broadway show Suessical with DD and her school club at a theatre in downtown Dayton.  (This chaperone thing gets me some great gigs.)

No run for me today, just 30-40 minutes of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Ditto - whenever I read Jay's summary, I find myself going back to the day before to read the posts, etc ... My TA activities started this week and work has me busy, so I know why I am not here more often. Regardless - I continue to run my life - 1 mile with Little Walter, dropped him at home and continued for another 1.5 miles to the local running store, bought shoes and continued another mile to the grocery store, and then half a mile home. Someday I am going to get stopped by a good samaritan thinking that I just robbed someone ... who has my exact shoe size and also eats gummy bears Wink

Ribs - have you looked up any research on this? I think that alcohol is metabolized differently with food and on an empty stomach. I am very curious - you may be onto something.

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

King of PhotoShop

Research?  Do I look like Twocat to you?  I don't do any research.  I just mess around until I find something that works.  I wonder if there is any research regarding alcohol effect on the liver producing cholesterol!  Maybe I will google that. Thanks Kirsten.  Spareribs

janie b good

great sale on mizuno wave rider 16s at this site:  http://www.6pm.com/mizuno-wave-rider-16-white-ultraviolet-anthracite (women's)

and men's here: http://www.6pm.com/mizuno-wave-rider-16-dress-blue-surf-the-web-imperial-blue

colors and sizes are very limited but worth checking out!

use this code for an additional 10% off:  6PMEU117141087

I got my new shoes for $58

did some research before purchasing, and site is owned by amazon with a favorable BBB rating-- just make sure you know your exact size as they do not do exchanges.   I've been wearing mizuno wave riders for the past 2 years so I was very comfortable ordering online.

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

NHLA

5 miles 38 min supper is ready

Mariposai

janie b good, thanks for the link. I was too late to order the shoes, but I got me a nice red and black little Anne Klein dress for a steal. Please keep sharing great bargains here. I am such a bargain hunter.

Spareribs, listen to la Tortuga.

Heah, Jay's morning recap is priceless.

My DH and I are really looking forward to a quiet three day weekend. Three day weekend to enjoy with no major tasks to be done.

I had a fun run this afternoon. 7 miles up kermel hill, then I ran to the gym to fit in 35' of XT.

Off to check what AT&T UVerse  is.

Cheers,

Nancy

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Hi all, happy Friday evening! Yes, a three-day weekend will be nice, even though we've only been back at work a couple weeks. Feels like it's time for a break already! Smile  Enjoy your break, Nancy, and nice workout today!

Holly, I agree your DD really takes after you. And sometimes I think you need to make an announcement that you're going to watch your show at XX time and then just do it. (easy for me to say, right?)

Wildchild should be back tomorrow, right? That is a very loooong trip.

Hope you're feeling better soon, Lamerunner. Glad you got some runs recently.

Enke!

Well we've sure warmed up around here! Yesterday I got out for a run in the snow, and today it was warmer and windy but at least the "ice pellets" never showed up. I guess there was freezing rain south of us, and the road to Anchorage is apparently pretty bad with the ice. But here it's pretty nice, even with the wind. 27° for my run, and only felt the wind on the way back up the hill (figures). 4.7 hilly miles to get me over 27 miles already. Not bad considering I barely cracked 30 last week. It's supposed to be pretty nice all weekend and next week so I'm pretty excited about running outside for awhile... in January! Woot!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I hope this dream turns out to be true but it cut nearly an hour off the 7hr/48 marathon in japanese wooden get last week to a 6hr/59`er in the light-weight straw waraji sandals I like and will probably wear if it works out to come back for the tokyo marathon and its 7hr cutoff next month but probably not again (third try).

running eight times plus around the 5K perimeter of the Imperial Palace makes me wonder if there`s any research on why races seem to be counterclockwise loops?  I wonder they are clockwise down under.

what:s the comparative exercise value of a four hour marathon at the 9 minute pace I used to be able to do once in a while and the seven hour ones at a 15m/m plus pace I now seem to be stuck with?

I guess I can ask the 1,000 megamarathoners over here and if either of the U.S. qualifiers show up in any seattle area races but I wonder how many shoes they went through for 1,000 marathoons, to say nothing of mileage plans, entry fees, etc. Has any one of them written a book like robert lopez was going to do about all the travels for his 333 marathon mainiac hall of fame qualifier?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)