Masters Running

Monday July 26 Runs and Other Such Silly Behavior (Read 475 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Discuss.....

No run for me today, giving my legs a chance to rest.  30 minutes of upper body weights and stability ball core work. 

On several recent runs, I’ve felt been slightly alarmed by some achyness in my chest, and difficulty taking deep breaths.  I realized this morning that the days I notice that ache are the days after I’ve done Jackie Warner’s chest workout...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Ummm. I ran 3.5 easy/slow miles at 9:36 pace this Monday morning, so I guess that qualifies me for Silly behavior - especially given how many people take Mondays off as Rest Days.  Not me.  I've sorta exchanged Rest Days with short recovery runs lately.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Ribs - thanks for the link yesterday .... i love that video 

(((( RA friends))))

Added Update:  after taking his med for 4 days justin decided yesterday he didnt need to take it anymore - so sad

the hospital had to decide after 3 days to either release him or file for a hearing to keep him so they filed for the hearing which is scheduled for thursday afternoon - at that point the judge decides if he needs to be released or remain hospitalized which i have full confidence they will keep him .......... justin hasnt showered or changed his clothes in a week, only eats or drinks what i bring him, only brushes his teeth with the toothbrush i give him and take home with me and is now refusing all meds so i think that's plenty of reason to keep him

has anyone seen Shutter Island?  i never did but my friend explained some of it to me because apparently that is where justin thinks he is.....he believes they are going to move him over to another building to experiment with medicines and dissect his brain .............. so sad

much thanks to all who are thinking of him/us .......... i keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers as well

denise

Mariposai

Happy Monday to you all. What a great weekend of running, eating and sharing time we all had.

I ran 4 easy, recovery miles this morning. Like Byll I tend to use my rest days as a day to run a few miles easy with no expectations. This marathon cycle I am taking a whole day of rest just to give me the chance to sit in my garden in the early morning to enjoy the flowers. Speaking of flowers, I sure enjoyed the New England gardens!

Good for you Holly for doing your upper body training. I bit you look great in your swimming suit.

Carolyn, have fun in your solitude. I think it is great that the kiddo and dad are backpacking together. 

Karin, I had no idea you live so closed to Boston. Sorry I missed you.

Denise, any update on your son? Thinking of you dear-one

Tetsujin, which race did you run yesterday!

Orange Mat, we promise you that we will not call you OM, just so glad you are here.

Last night DS cooked a nice welcome back home meal for us, including an artisan bread that is to so tasty. After dinner he invited us to go to see Despicable me, a kid's movie, but with a great message for adults as well. 

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

A drive-by posting today. After several miserable weather days in a row, it was finally in the 60s with low-H this morning, so I couldn't resist. Ran 8 miles for my longest distance in a while along the well-shaded Clinton River Trail. A good way to start the week.

I'm mainly in training now for a week-long bike tour that starts two weeks from now. It runs along Michigans's western shoreline from over near Hopeful on up to Mackinaw City, stopping in places like Traverse City and Harbor Springs along the way. So I've been doing more biking than running lately.

I've missed what's been going on in RA-land lately, but maybe can catch up sometime soon. Good running (and riding) everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

BlazinCajun

Spareribs - thanks for sharing the "Free Hugs" video. My daughters and I watched it together - it was fun.

Recovery run today of 3.25 miles included 1/2 mile barefoot running on trail.

If you have a PC and want to include the degree symbol along with your weather report: [degree symbol ( ° ) = Alt + 0176]

tselbs - praying that there is a simple fix for your bloodcell abnormality

Andrew
              ------------------
              God, my Lord, is my strength;
              he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
              and enables me to go upon the heights.
              Hb 3:19

Good to see you rochrunner!

No worries maraposai. I am not that close really--90 miles to the west and closer to CT, VT, NH then I am to Boston. 

I was just envious! So glad you had a great time.

Silly behavior---hmmmm? Describes me most days, so not much to add. 

((((((((Denise)))))))))

Ran 8 miles and the first 4 with the kiddo. He took us out at 8 minute pace and kept that going the whole way. So fun to see his progress. He turned in at 4 and I added 4 more. Gorgeous day here in the Commonwealth.

Slo

Holly,

Can't say anything......I've had chest pains but I can't say they were alarming in any way....they were never in cunjuction with any other symptom and so far I've survived them......If you do have concerns I guess it's worth talking to your Doc about though.

An easy 5 this morning with a few hill sprints to wrap up. A short break from the Humidity but we'll be right back in it.

Crazy weather.....10 inches of rain to our North has caused much flooding. A man made lakes dam broke sending the Maquoketa River out of it's banks......One of the overnight towns for RAGBRAI is flooded out. The water will receded...if it hasn't already before the bikes come thru but how do you clean up after a flood and get ready for 15,000 people when your a town of 5000 ?

Ryan Hall won the Bix 7 in the Quad Cities with a comanding lead.....a very well run race. Ryan is poetry in motion....to watch him run is truely a beautiful thing to witness.

Hope everyone had a great weekend. We had an impromptu gathering at Mom's......turned into a furniture relocation party. We were well fed.

{{{{Deez}}}}  I can't imagine what your going thru but I will keep your family in my prayers.

7.1 miles run in the cool of the day yesterday (96 degrees to start....101 at the end as the sun hit).

Praying  for Justin

Vista
                    PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

(((Denise and Justin)))

Today - lift, step, spin.

Yesterday, 2 mile w/u, 2 mile cool down (a.k.a. bonk because I ran out of water).  In between, 20 miles in 2:50.  That was a tough one.

dg.

Oh, silly.   I can play.    (Holly, phew.   I read half of your post.   Went to make coffee, thinking back through my heart stuff for useful advice.  came back & read the rest.  ;-) )

Here's mine...  It looks like I'm creating some marathon training traditions during my second go-round.  (in addition to the  usual body setbacks).   Yesterday I'd hoped for 16 (am mixing 2 training programs, & it was a push).   Last year's first ever 16 I started out with 2 gus (?) in my pocket, slightly opened because I can't open them.  well of course they leaked, & of course when I got there they had this big problem with bees.  Yesterday driving to the park I realized I was under fueled so dug in my bag & got a partially used thing of apple-cinnamon (hammer)(tastes just like apple pie. I don't get much pie so I could be wrong).    Driving on the freeway & trying to get the stuck part off, then working hard to get some out, I noticed it was certainly coming out & all over my hands & steering wheel & singlet & shorts & legs.    licking my hands to get it off I ingested yummy sunscreen. 

Turned out I only made 15, which was ok.   Last year's first 15, I wiped out on the path & was pretty shredded.  got some funny looks but finished.   This year I wiped out on the boardwalk.  I'm making progress, there was very little blood Smile.   And of course still finished.   So see?   It's comforting to know what to expect!  Wink

Doug hi!   I've been wondering about you.   That bike tour sounds great.  I hope you have good weather.

Carolyn, I agree.   Too bad you can't go but a wonderful chance to breathe & do what you like wihtout anyone else caring for a little while.

Nancy welcome home.   I'm so happy you had such a good time!!    So sweet of DS to give you such a nice homecoming.    Enjoy your garden!

Slo, how is your mom?

It's a beautiful day here but i wasn't even tempted to run.    I did want to run the next day last week, & had hoped I was on to some new level or something.   Well, I guess progress comes in various forms.   I hope!   And next week is a cutback week, so maybe that''s all I need. 

((((Denise and Justin))))  

[[[[[[[[deez]]]]]]]]]

you're in our prayers......

[[[[[[dg and bees]]]]]]]]]]]

=========

poolrunning tonite,

shooting stuff and running tomorrow.....

nacho's and beer afterwards......

......DOES IT GET ANY BETTER????

I think not.

......................................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Henrun

We're in the Berkshires for a week (close to you, Karin) and ran 3.6 miles this morning in the coolness of the Lee countryside. Swam after that and will bike (if we have any energy left). Too much partying already and loads of culture- Tanglewood yesterday, Judy Collins tonight and plays, music, etc. for the remainder of the week. Back home on Sunday to rest up.

King of PhotoShop

Bill, I am with you. I don't like to take a deliberate rest day, so the day after a tough run, I generally run 2 very slow miles.  Today was 2.4 untimed following yesterday's 18. 

Wildchild, thank you for asking about the family.  The Saint is running well this summer.  She is doing the ten-mile race at Twin Cities.  Prime Rib is now out of college, working 3 jobs and staying fit over the summer.  Riblet is sleeping late and playing video games, but he is practicing his piano and keeping up with his summer reading.  Spareribs

more from me........      3.2 miles in the least humidity of the summer!

1/2 hr chat this morning with my friend in Scotland - she just did some kind of crazy, hilly, trail 28 miler and is planning on a marathon in France where you sip wine at every "water" stop and have a meal at mile 21 --  crazy!!  should we all go join her? 

have wonderful monday monday my awesome friends!

denise